Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Re: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Do the bear a favour and use a scope.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I have taken my bears with a low power scope (1-4x) because it gives the full sight picture, and contrary to popular belief I find it way easier in low light. I’m hunting only blacks, and a black bear over a black barrel in a dark background has been easier to clarify when viewed through a scope.

My hunting partners all shot theirs using iron sights, and their point of impact was not as precise as my scoped shots. I hit every one directly through the heart, and theirs were a mix of locations (some unintended).

This coming year I am removing the scope. Why? Because I have found that it’s probably stupid of me to be wandering through the bush in the dark dragging our a pile of bloody meat. I have had some close calls, and mostly I get my bears midday anyway.

If it’s a dedicated bear rifle and you’re only shooting at bush range, I suggest iron sights. An aperture is much more accurate, but takes longer to get on target. When you’re in danger, you may not have the luxury of time.

Another drawback to scopes is that the get wet. The outer lens fogs up when it’s in high humidity, and even wiping won’t clear it properly. I’m hunting in a bog, and it’s a nightmare to try to keep a scope clear in.

If you’re using the same rifle for other game, I would use a removable cheek riser, and takedown rings so you can easily switch it for longer shots on other game. But in the environment I hunt, I am going back to iron sights - and switching to shoulder blade shots to take them down. Big target, instant drop.

I have rifles with 3-9x scopes, but usually I find myself missing the wider field of view that my 2-7x scope enables. I find it way more versatile than my 3-9x scopes. 2X power at bush range is way superior to 3X power, and dialled up to 7x you can still shoot well out to 250 yards. That also happens to be an average maximum point blank range for many old reliable cartridges even with heavy bullets.

With one rifle, I think you’d do best with a 2-7 scope using quick detach rings and a removable cheek riser (Velcro). In rifle season and in short range areas, I’d pop off the scope and use irons. I’m also shooting bear with a 30-06. With 220 grain handloaded bullets it leaves an entry would the diameter of a magic marker and a matching exit hole. I’m sure you’d do every hit as well with copper bullets or heavy partitions. With iron sights plus a can of spray, you’ll be able to defend yourself while field dressing your bear (and if you have to track one).

Your rifle looks gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    From what I've read, this Fulfield II scope is supposed to be pretty good for a cheaper scope... Though I'd be interested in knowing what the next step up would be, that a discernible improvement would be noticed. Swaro Z5? Leppy 3i? Leppy 5HD?
    There are four components to scope cost/quality:
    Durability
    Type of reticle
    Quality of the glass
    Adjustability

Durability is something where you just have to go with reviews - how hard is it to not just break the scope, but knock it out of adjustment.

Type of reticle is based a lot on personal preference - for me a simple duplex is fine (and cheapest) but some people want DBC, Mils, MOA, etc. to adjust for longer range shooting (I don't shoot farther than 300 yards and just set my scope for something called Maximum Point Blank Range):
    https://www.backcountrychronicles.co...t-blank-range/
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/mpbr_hunting.htm

Quality of the glass is self-explanatory

Adjustability relates to things like focus, parallax (look it up), and zero stop turrets (mostly for long range shooting where you are adjusting your scope).

In my not-so-humble opinion the best value in scopes for my type of shooting is a Swarovski Z3 with a duplex reticle which, when it goes on sale, van be had for $700ish. You won't find better glass or durability and I don't need extra adjustability.

HOWEVER, for eye glass users - especially people with a strong prescription or astigmatism, you also need to look at eye relief (how far back from the scope your eye can be while still getting a good sight picture). In this case Leupold tends to be king of the hill.

Lastly, for low light shooting, the ratio of the magnification power to the objective diameter of the scope is how you calculate the exit pupil. The higher this number, the larger the exit pupil, and the better light transmission (low light shooting) - amongst other things.
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor..._061907/100357

Hope that helps (as always - just my opinion)

From the sounds of it we are fairly similar in style and experience. I've had fairly cheap optics on my odd 6 and 2 years now I've got a boar in the spring. Nothing over 50 yards away. You can get pretty close to them if you're quiet! so either way you could prolly have a bear gun that is iron sights! I'm gonna try with a bow this year! (My buddy will be spotting with another scoped 30-06)
    Last edited by kjudson86; 02-26-2020 at 10:22 PM.

It's more about where you're hunting than what you're hunting shots under 100 yds and in the Bush some type of irons would be fine. Big cutblocks, open country etc where shots could be 200 or more yds then a 2-7 or 3-9x40 would be the ticket
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Cheek weld is super new to me as a new shooter, though I've seen many videos on the subject. I have not tried enough guns to know what my optimum weld is, but that is great advice about the the felt pad and horse tape... I'm going to pick some up and play around.
    Definitly do... I find I need to adjust the comb for cheek weld on every rifle I own. You can start by using anything bendable, tape and magazines, foam, or whatever you can think of. You just need to get a feel for the height and shape you need to add to your comb to get a good clear sight picture instantly when you shoulder your rifle. For the final addition I custom make mine out of thick grade veg tan leather and lace them onto the butt stock.

Dang, I missed some of these replies! Who else is getting excited for bear season! May can't get here soon enough, going to try to shed hunt a little and at least get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Solutions View Post
    I have taken my bears with a low power scope (1-4x) because it gives the full sight picture, and contrary to popular belief I find it way easier in low light. I’m hunting only blacks, and a black bear over a black barrel in a dark background has been easier to clarify when viewed through a scope...
    Your rifle looks gorgeous.
    Thank you! I'm looking forward to getting out there again.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    There are four components to scope cost/quality:
    Durability
    Type of reticle
    Quality of the glass
    Adjustability

Hope that helps (as always - just my opinion)
    Lots of great points there, I think I'm going to either save up for a used Z3, or used Leppy in the $700 range, or try to trade/sell my scope for a used fxII if it has a longer tube in the short term... whatever gets me to quick detach rings, though mine do have the coin slots for quickly unthreading the attachments...

Quote Originally Posted by kjudson86 View Post
    From the sounds of it we are fairly similar in style and experience. I've had fairly cheap optics on my odd 6 and 2 years now I've got a boar in the spring. Nothing over 50 yards away. You can get pretty close to them if you're quiet! so either way you could prolly have a bear gun that is iron sights! I'm gonna try with a bow this year! (My buddy will be spotting with another scoped 30-06)
    I'd love to get into bow, but not until I've had more experience, and finally bag a big game animal with my rifle. What cheap scopes have you used - and liked?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    It's more about where you're hunting than what you're hunting shots under 100 yds and in the Bush some type of irons would be fine. Big cutblocks, open country etc where shots could be 200 or more yds then a 2-7 or 3-9x40 would be the ticket
    Yes, being inexperienced I plan on trying a couple methods, or mixing them. I plan to pick an area with south facing slopes with meadows and try to glass from a nearby hill. Then spot and stalk, play the wind and see how close that will get me. I also will try to still hunt some wooded areas I've seen sign. Hopefully I can get away to put in a decent amount of time to get some experience.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Definitly do... I find I need to adjust the comb for cheek weld on every rifle I own. You can start by using anything bendable, tape and magazines, foam, or whatever you can think of. You just need to get a feel for the height and shape you need to add to your comb to get a good clear sight picture instantly when you shoulder your rifle. For the final addition I custom make mine out of thick grade veg tan leather and lace them onto the butt stock.
    That sounds awesome, I'll be picking up materials today and see how I make out. I only have 1 rifle (and 1 shotgun) so easy to keep focus on the one fitting

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Best of both worlds for me, iron sights on my .375 Ruger as well as a 3x9x42 scope in Warne quick detach rings!