Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Re: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

There are 3 focal planes when you use iron sights. The rear sight, front sight and the target. It is impossible for the human eye to focus on any more than one. So the correct method is to focus on the rear sight centering on the front sight, which will a little blurry in comparison to the rear sight but will be much clearer focus than the target object. The further the distance, the greater the chance of missing the target. The main advantage of shooting sights is that you can have faster target acquisition, particularly in dark background situations and very short distances or both.
    With optics, you only have to consider one focal plane. The cross-hairs centered on the target and your are good to go. Wait, there is a codicil or two. In dark background situations, you have a greater tendency to lose sight of the target, which is especially amplified with higher magnification. The latter can occur even in better light conditions. Then consider the target is rapidly advancing toward you, the quicker it advances, the greater the probability to lose the cross-hair contact on the vital zone. Nothing to really worry about if it is an ungulate, but what if it is a pissed off bear that is not liking your presence and is determined to do something about it.
    What would I recommend? For an all round rifle for all game, dangerous or not, I would use a 2-7 X 30+ scope with a quick detachable or tip-off system.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Go with whatever you are most comfortable with and fits the style of hunting you are going to use it for. Personally I am not a fan of v sites but some love them. I am a short range hunter and like thick bush/timber for most of my hunting. It’s rare for me to even take a 100yard shot

My scopes are 2-7 or 3-9 rare they are set above 5 power. After trying a red dot my next bush gun will be set up with a red dot

My opinion if it’s strictly for short range 2-7 scope or a red dot. If you want it to be more versatile get a 3-9
    My dilemma is I really like my 3x9, the Viper is super clear... but I do plan on doing woods, and some mountain hunting, but less than 300 yards. Also, I want to be prepared for close encounter bear interactions if the situation arises when I hunt them in a couple weeks...

What would be a fair transition in quality from Vortex Viper 3-9x40 to a 2-7x33? Leupold vx-2? Leupold vx-3? others?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    There are 3 focal planes when you use iron sights. The rear sight, front sight and the target. It is impossible for the human eye to focus on any more than one. So the correct method is to focus on the rear sight centering on the front sight, which will a little blurry in comparison to the rear sight but will be much clearer focus than the target object. The further the distance, the greater the chance of missing the target. The main advantage of shooting sights is that you can have faster target acquisition, particularly in dark background situations and very short distances or both.
    With optics, you only have to consider one focal plane. The cross-hairs centered on the target and your are good to go. Wait, there is a codicil or two. In dark background situations, you have a greater tendency to lose sight of the target, which is especially amplified with higher magnification. The latter can occur even in better light conditions. Then consider the target is rapidly advancing toward you, the quicker it advances, the greater the probability to lose the cross-hair contact on the vital zone. Nothing to really worry about if it is an ungulate, but what if it is a pissed off bear that is not liking your presence and is determined to do something about it.
    What would I recommend? For an all round rifle for all game, dangerous or not, I would use a 2-7 X 30+ scope with a quick detachable or tip-off system.
    Thanks for the explanation, never thought about it that way - 3 focal planes...
    You also bring up another question about quick release/detach system. Any recommendations on that? I don't see many people with this system, and looks like some manufacturers like Vortex discontinued production of theirs (I could be wrong)... If you could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

If it helps, i Hunt Vancouver island in the thick stuff and use a 3-9 viper

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    If it helps, i Hunt Vancouver island in the thick stuff and use a 3-9 viper
    Hey Fella,

Have you ever hunted with a 2-7 to give a comparison? Do you find the 3 power (lowest magnification) an issue for close hunting? Have you shot anything 50 yards or less, if so any comments regarding the scope? Finally, do you aim with one or both eyes open?

Sorry for all the questions, haha...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Hey Fella,

Have you ever hunted with a 2-7 to give a comparison? Do you find the 3 power (lowest magnification) an issue for close hunting? Have you shot anything 50 yards or less, if so any comments regarding the scope? Finally, do you aim with one or both eyes open?

Sorry for all the questions, haha...
    I had a 2-7 on a different rifle, didn’t really notice a huge difference. I shot a moose at 10 yards, a bear at 30 and a muley at 20 and they all died. And yes I shoot with both eyes open

Honestly a 3-9 will be fine for what you need. Almost all my shots timber hunting are taken with my scope set on 3 power and I hunt thick stuff with close shots. I have 2-7 scopes because I don’t need higher magnification with my style of hunting.

The only way I would go with anything different is if you want to put together a set up strictly for thick bush close range hunting

You are over thinking in the thick stuff keep it on 3 if you’re in areas a little more open 5. Don’t stress about bears so much just make your first shot count and give them time before you go in for recovery and you won’t have any issues

Leupold 2.5-8x36 solves most of your problems
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I had a 2-7 on a different rifle, didn’t really notice a huge difference. I shot a moose at 10 yards, a bear at 30 and a muley at 20 and they all died. And yes I shoot with both eyes open
    OK, I'll be primarily practicing two eye scope shooting from now on! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Honestly a 3-9 will be fine for what you need. Almost all my shots timber hunting are taken with my scope set on 3 power and I hunt thick stuff with close shots. I have 2-7 scopes because I don’t need higher magnification with my style of hunting.

The only way I would go with anything different is if you want to put together a set up strictly for thick bush close range hunting

You are over thinking in the thick stuff keep it on 3 if you’re in areas a little more open 5. Don’t stress about bears so much just make your first shot count and give them time before you go in for recovery and you won’t have any issues
    Sounds good, makes a lot of sense, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Leupold 2.5-8x36 solves most of your problems
    Thanks Gate, I was considering that one as well!

Thanks everyone, I'm going to practice my ass off with both eyes open. I think I'm also going to look at quick detach rings, the Leupold QRW2 look interesting, for quick changes if necessary.

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton

What not just buy a separate bush gun with irons like a marlin guide gun? Then you don’t have to worry about resighting the scope after you’ve taken it off.

What not just buy a separate bush gun with irons like a marlin guide gun? Then you don’t have to worry about resighting the scope after you’ve taken it off.
    That was the original idea, but I'm trying to have a one rifle setup... for now...

I also have a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, I guess I could use that with slugs... I have a 28" accuchoke and 18" cylinder barrel, but I was going to wait until I acquired a rifled barrel before going that route...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton