Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Re: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    A scope is a better aiming device than iron sights for virtually every application. There is no reason to use iron sights in 2019, unless you just want to. 2-7/3-9 doesn't really matter, what matters is durability, repeat-ability and optical quality.
    Maybe my Vortex Viper 3-9x40 fits the bill...?

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    I have that scope on my 30-06 and I have taken bears up to 300 yards with it, and 50, it’s awsome!
    Another vote for the 1-4... interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I dissagree. There are a few good reasons for open sights. Some hunting styles for certain animals benefit from open sights. Timber hunting in rough country for bears is one. Timber hunting the west coast during inclement weather for blacktails is another. I agree with your opinion with regards to the o.p. but some elitists use open sights for good reason. Acquiring targets quickly is to the advantage of open sights.
    Interesting... will take a while to become elitist... I'm up for the challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    If the wind is good, and the bear doesn't originally see or hear you and you take your time you can sneak quite close to bears, so use whatever you want but iron sights is a lot of fun with bears on spot and stalk...
    That definitely sounds fun!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I dissagree. There are a few good reasons for open sights. Some hunting styles for certain animals benefit from open sights. Timber hunting in rough country for bears is one. Timber hunting the west coast during inclement weather for blacktails is another. I agree with your opinion with regards to the o.p. but some elitists use open sights for good reason. Acquiring targets quickly is to the advantage of open sights.
    Having spent plenty of time timber hunting rough terrain in inclement weather, I would still choose a scope over iron sights. I've never lost an opportunity from using a scope, but there have been plenty of times I would have lost the opportunity with iron sights. Many people feel that iron sights are faster to use than a scope, and I used to believe that too, until I really started to examine the topic. Scopes can get you on target and shooting faster, no need to line up 3 separate focus points.

For fast work at moderate distances, a red dot trumps everything.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

.... Scopes can get you on target and shooting faster, no need to line up 3 separate focus points. For fast work at moderate distances, a red dot trumps everything.
    This was my reasoning as well... Taking it a step further - walking into the thick stuff to recover a bear, I wanted to have both eyes open for better, wider field of view outside the tube of the scope. a true 1x delivers that. The illuminated reticle makes it that much quicker to acquire a target.

I bought this for my 338-06 and could not be happier with it.
    https://www.vortexcanada.net/en/hunt...scope-ar-bdc-2
    https://manlygearreviews.com/optics/best-1-8-scope/

** maybe move this to the right subforum for more responses...? many won't see it in BCWF
    Last edited by elch jager; 04-19-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Maybe my Vortex Viper 3-9x40 fits the bill...?

Another vote for the 1-4... interesting...

Interesting... will take a while to become elitist... I'm up for the challenge...

That definitely sounds fun!

Your 3-9 will be fine. Leave it on 3x for most of your hunting, Crank up power if you need to shoot further. Practice lifting your rifle up and getting on target with your scope, both eyes open. After you practice this for awhile doing dry fire, go to the range and try it with some live ammo.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Your 3-9 will be fine. Leave it on 3x for most of your hunting, Crank up power if you need to shoot further. Practice lifting your rifle up and getting on target with your scope, both eyes open. After you practice this for awhile doing dry fire, go to the range and try it with some live ammo.
    Awesome advice Gate! Ok, will do. I do this sometimes with both eyes (wasn't sure of the benefit), but will do more. And will definitely put in some range time.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Awesome advice Gate! Ok, will do. I do this sometimes with both eyes (wasn't sure of the benefit), but will do more. And will definitely put in some range time.
    I shoot with both eyes open, cannot shoot with only one eye anymore and it helps track your target after you shoot

My primary hunting rifle is a vintage 30-06 with an equally vintage Weaver scope. Going into 4th big game hunting season this year & have yet to take an animal personally, but that's mainly because I haven't had an opportunity at a decent shot. Need to improve my stalking skills. It shoots very well at the range, so I really have no reason to go out & get a spanking new, modern hunting rifle. I like the old gun & one of the things that drew me to it immediately when I saw it on the table at a gun show years ago, was the rather unique swing away Pachmayr scope mount. This allows very quick transition from scope to iron sights & vice/versa.

The rifle had obviously seen plenty of days in the field judging by the peeling varnish on the walnut stock, but I decided to make the purchase regardless. Another reason I was reasonably confident it's a good gun is the FN logo engraved on the receiver. FN Belgium is known to produce a quality product. Reliable, proven Mauser action.

I disassembled it & refinished the stock. Photos after refinishing with linseed oil & highlighting the swing away mount follow. Hopefully this upcoming season I can do the rifle proud by harvesting a mulie, whitetail or moose. I'm sure it has in the hands or previous owners. Wish I had some history of that. I guess what I'm trying to get across is that hunters in the past used both scopes & iron sites to successfully harvest animals. While a rarity today, quick detachable & swing scope mounts are still out there. My days at the range with this gun have proven that the Pachmayr mechanism holds zero no problem after cycling.

Left side view. The knurled knob in the center of the swing mechanism facilitates quick, complete removal of the scope.

Other side.

I've never been surprised/charged by a bear at close quarters, but having the swing away feature could be an advantage in such a situation. If you could shoulder the rifle in time, at short range, the view through a scope would be nothing but fur.
    Last edited by mike31154; 04-19-2019 at 10:14 AM.

Having spent plenty of time timber hunting rough terrain in inclement weather, I would still choose a scope over iron sights. I've never lost an opportunity from using a scope, but there have been plenty of times I would have lost the opportunity with iron sights. Many people feel that iron sights are faster to use than a scope, and I used to believe that too, until I really started to examine the topic. Scopes can get you on target and shooting faster, no need to line up 3 separate focus points.

For fast work at moderate distances, a red dot trumps everything.
    Like I posted earlier, different styles for hunting same game. I also have hunted extensively blacktails in the nastiest weather possible with and without a scope. My scoped partners had issues with fogged up and distorted views all the time. They also had issues when encountering a fall knocking out the zero. Im sure this has happened to you .anyone that hikes falls and questions their scope. To many scope covers broken or torn off also.
    Last edited by dino; 04-19-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Hunting the promised land

Go with a scope. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Go with whatever you are most comfortable with and fits the style of hunting you are going to use it for. Personally I am not a fan of v sites but some love them. I am a short range hunter and like thick bush/timber for most of my hunting. It’s rare for me to even take a 100yard shot

My scopes are 2-7 or 3-9 rare they are set above 5 power. After trying a red dot my next bush gun will be set up with a red dot

My opinion if it’s strictly for short range 2-7 scope or a red dot. If you want it to be more versatile get a 3-9