Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
A scope is a better aiming device than iron sights for virtually every application. There is no reason to use iron sights in 2019, unless you just want to. 2-7/3-9 doesn't really matter, what matters is durability, repeat-ability and optical quality.
Maybe my Vortex Viper 3-9x40 fits the bill...?

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
I have that scope on my 30-06 and I have taken bears up to 300 yards with it, and 50, it’s awsome!
Another vote for the 1-4... interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
I dissagree. There are a few good reasons for open sights. Some hunting styles for certain animals benefit from open sights. Timber hunting in rough country for bears is one. Timber hunting the west coast during inclement weather for blacktails is another. I agree with your opinion with regards to the o.p. but some elitists use open sights for good reason. Acquiring targets quickly is to the advantage of open sights.
Interesting... will take a while to become elitist... I'm up for the challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
If the wind is good, and the bear doesn't originally see or hear you and you take your time you can sneak quite close to bears, so use whatever you want but iron sights is a lot of fun with bears on spot and stalk...
That definitely sounds fun!