Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Re: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Have you ever hunted with a 2-7 to give a comparison? Do you find the 3 power (lowest magnification) an issue for close hunting? Have you shot anything 50 yards or less, if so any comments regarding the scope? Finally, do you aim with one or both eyes open?
    I shoot a shotgun with buckshot using a fixed 4 power (don’t ask). My shots are all 30 yards or less all in the timber. I have never had any issues with close range shooting. You should fine with 3-9. Practice lots and it’ll come up to your eye naturally. My biggest issues with scopes are keeping them clear in nasty weather. I have a peep sight on my 30-30 that I really like, it’d be my choice over other open sights.

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Rookie here. I got my bear tag, and was thinking having iron sights might be better (safe) for hunting bear in the bush/hills. I have a 3-9x40 scope (Viper) on my Ruger American, which I put up for sale and just picked up a used TAP-375 Lakelander. Both rifles are 30-06, but the Lakelander has iron sights. Should be a wash once I sell the Ruger (hopefully).

My question is: Is there an optimal setup for iron sight hunting? Should I look into quick release rings or bases and add my scope? Should I just put on a 2-7x33 scope for the type of hunting I'm into?

I'm new, just started last October, been out a handful of times. I hope to hunt deer, Moose, Elk, bear, possibly Caribou and sheep in the future, and have a shotgun for turkey and other birds. I like to spot and stalk, and still hunt. I'm into hiking up and aways to low pressure areas to hopefully find game. I also am into still hunting in the woods.

I bought the Ruger American after obsessively reading reviews and feeling different rifles in store. I like it, but I would eventually want a wood stock. I just prefer the feel. I tried the Lakelander and was blown away by the action, the bolt is so smooth (9 lugs). It's a blind magazine, but has a little button to eject rounds without cycling the action. And it has a wood stock and iron sights. I don't see any advantage in having a removable mag for what I do.

I really like the idea of starting with basics and building skills. I've fired air rifles and .22's with iron sights and quite like it, find it accurate so far - only tried out to about 50 yards so far. I also heard having a low power scope is good for making sure to keep close game in view. I practice bringing the scope to my eyes anyways to build good habits, and not have to search for game looking down the scope.

Any thoughts? Recommendations? Does anybody hunt with iron sights anymore, or low power scopes? Seems most are 3-9x40 or 4-16x50 etc...
    I'd go quick release. Couple of reasons. If you're in somewhere and your scope screws up you can still hunt with iron sights. Taking the scope off while walking your meat out is also preferable in my opinion. Any defensive shooting close up is quicker if you're not trying to find something in your scope. Same reason if you're bear hunting and have to go in tight on a wounded bear. Good set of quick releases won't affect the accuracy of your scope. I have a set of quick releases on my 375 H&H and so far they've worked well.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I just ordered a 2-7x35 on CGN...

so should I do low rings, with coin screw detach or see through rings?...
    Get the lowest rings you can but make sure your bolt won't hit the bottom of your scope when chambering a round. I am a big fan of vomz scopes sold by Corwin Arms in Kamloops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    Get the lowest rings you can but make sure your bolt won't hit the bottom of your scope when chambering a round. I am a big fan of vomz scopes sold by Corwin Arms in Kamloops.
    unless of course you are a tall gangly dude with a long neck and arms to match.... There is more than just bolt clearance to consider when determining ring height.

MOST importantly, it has to fit you correctly.

Butt stock configuration and your physical size need to be considered. If you have a long neck and arms and a straight buttstock you will be hunched up and your sight picture will be offset resulting in slower target acquisition and possible parallax error moving your point of impact.

Close your eyes, mount your rifle and then open your eyes... you should be looking through your scope relatively centered on your eye.

I find medium rings best for me on straight 'american' style stocks. I can use lows on a stock with more drop to it, or a montecarlo and raised cheekpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    ... I have a peep sight on my 30-30 that I really like, it’d be my choice over other open sights.
    Interesting, though I wouldn't want to take off the irons on mine for the peep.. mayb I'll put a peep on my Mossy 500...

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    I'd go quick release. Couple of reasons. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This was my first plan...

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    Get the lowest rings you can ...
    Quote Originally Posted by elch jager View Post
    ...MOST importantly, it has to fit you correctly...
    Scope came in so I went and bought some low weaver rings to go with the stock weaver style bases on my Lakelander. I gently installed the ring bottoms first, not too tight, and when I tried to put the scope on it - the rings wouldn't clear the bell - doh!

So I exchanged them - with $$ for extension rings, weaver again, but they are high, they said that was all they had for extension rings. I got both extensions, as only one would make it pretty tight and I want to properly adjust the eye relief to fit me properly.

They have the coin size detach screws, so I can remove them in the field (have to remember to keep a quarter or nickel on me) But maybe I'll upgrade to a quick detach system - that fits with extensions - in the future... will cross that bridge later.

Still swamped with work, haven't had a chance to sight in the irons - or attach the scope after getting the new rings... I guess I have a little time before prime bear hunting time...

Thanks for the advice everyone

Will upload pics when complete.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Read the whole thread and lots of good advice. I read a lot on the internet and after trial and error I came up with a system that works for me.
    Shooting with both eyes open.
    When I first came across this concept I was thinking how can this work? I’m always willing to try something new so I started doing it and after awhile it started to come easy. Now I do it all the time. You are able to see the area outside the field of view of the scope and for the type of hunting that I do now on the west coast it works well. When your in the bush you can shoulder your rifle and keep an eye on the animal and if you have to wait a bit for a good shot your eyes don’t go blurry. Works well with iron sights for me also, if my gun is set up right. Which brings me to my next point.
    Cheek weld.
    For years I always wondered why I could shoot some guns more accurately than others. Didn’t realize at the time that the fit of the gun, height of scope rings, eye relief, quality of scopes all played a factor one way or another. If your like me budget plays a role so I adapted.
    First I set the eye relief. Set your scope at middle magnification works best.
    I use a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6x24. It’s not really a true 1 power but is close enough that I make it work. If I ever get a chance to look through one that is I’ll probably buy it if I can afford it.
    What I do is close my eyes and shoulder the rifle. Then I open my eyes. If I’m not looking straight down the scope and getting a black shadow one way or the other (I found with scopes I am usually looking under them so I usually buy scope rings that will just clear the bolt handle to start) I will either have to change the scope rings or raise my head to see clearly. If I have to raise my head, I have some light felt that I found in craft store. It’s thin and I find I can add layers to get my head up to the correct height with a good cheek weld. I make a pad and depending on the stock build it to fit.
    I just use electrician tape until I have it right then I will wrap it with leg wrap that horsey people use to protect the lower legs of their horses. It is stretchy stuff that sticks to itself, comes in different colors and widths and doesn’t soak up water. Comes off easily if you want to remove it.
    When all this set up and you practice lots you will be pleasantly surprised at how fast you can get on target.
    Does it look pretty? Nope, but I was never one to be out to win a fashion contest so it doesn’t matter to me. Putting meat on the table is my objective.
    What all this does for me is to have the ability when hunting in the coastal jungle is to be able to bring my rifle up, see what’s going on and get a shot off quickly because sometimes you only have seconds to get a shot off on an animal before it takes a couple of steps and disappears into the thickets.
    Just throwing some ideas out there to you on what works for me.
    Good luck on your hunts.
    They are out there,they look like us,they talk like us, but they ain’t us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Read the whole thread and lots of good advice. I read a lot on the internet and after trial and error I came up with a system that works for me.
    Shooting with both eyes open.
    When I first came across this concept I was thinking how can this work? I’m always willing to try something new so I started doing it and after awhile it started to come easy. Now I do it all the time. You are able to see the area outside the field of view of the scope and for the type of hunting that I do now on the west coast it works well. When your in the bush you can shoulder your rifle and keep an eye on the animal and if you have to wait a bit for a good shot your eyes don’t go blurry. Works well with iron sights for me also, if my gun is set up right. Which brings me to my next point.
    Cheek weld.
    For years I always wondered why I could shoot some guns more accurately than others. Didn’t realize at the time that the fit of the gun, height of scope rings, eye relief, quality of scopes all played a factor one way or another. If your like me budget plays a role so I adapted.
    First I set the eye relief. Set your scope at middle magnification works best.
    I use a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6x24. It’s not really a true 1 power but is close enough that I make it work. If I ever get a chance to look through one that is I’ll probably buy it if I can afford it.
    What I do is close my eyes and shoulder the rifle. Then I open my eyes. If I’m not looking straight down the scope and getting a black shadow one way or the other (I found with scopes I am usually looking under them so I usually buy scope rings that will just clear the bolt handle to start) I will either have to change the scope rings or raise my head to see clearly. If I have to raise my head, I have some light felt that I found in craft store. It’s thin and I find I can add layers to get my head up to the correct height with a good cheek weld. I make a pad and depending on the stock build it to fit.
    I just use electrician tape until I have it right then I will wrap it with leg wrap that horsey people use to protect the lower legs of their horses. It is stretchy stuff that sticks to itself, comes in different colors and widths and doesn’t soak up water. Comes off easily if you want to remove it.
    When all this set up and you practice lots you will be pleasantly surprised at how fast you can get on target.
    Does it look pretty? Nope, but I was never one to be out to win a fashion contest so it doesn’t matter to me. Putting meat on the table is my objective.
    What all this does for me is to have the ability when hunting in the coastal jungle is to be able to bring my rifle up, see what’s going on and get a shot off quickly because sometimes you only have seconds to get a shot off on an animal before it takes a couple of steps and disappears into the thickets.
    Just throwing some ideas out there to you on what works for me.
    Good luck on your hunts.
    Awesome advice Chewie!

Cheek weld is super new to me as a new shooter, though I've seen many videos on the subject. I have not tried enough guns to know what my optimum weld is, but that is great advice about the the felt pad and horse tape... I'm going to pick some up and play around.

I tried setting up my scope myself with some weave standard rings ( I love DIY projects) but they are the one sided ones that cant your scope as you tighten the rings - holy hell what a frustrating experience. I finally got things where I think they were supposed to be without over tightening only to find that I was almost out of elevation on one side after I bore sighted... FML...

I'm going to go sight in 1.5 inch high at 100 for MBPR, and if I'm out of elevation to achieve that, then I'll take it to the shop as I must have something wrong...

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Awesome advice Chewie!

Cheek weld is super new to me as a new shooter, though I've seen many videos on the subject. I have not tried enough guns to know what my optimum weld is, but that is great advice about the the felt pad and horse tape... I'm going to pick some up and play around.

I tried setting up my scope myself with some weave standard rings ( I love DIY projects) but they are the one sided ones that cant your scope as you tighten the rings - holy hell what a frustrating experience. I finally got things where I think they were supposed to be without over tightening only to find that I was almost out of elevation on one side after I bore sighted... FML...

I'm going to go sight in 1.5 inch high at 100 for MBPR, and if I'm out of elevation to achieve that, then I'll take it to the shop as I must have something wrong...

Cheers!
    If your running out of dial try turning your dial all the way until you get to the stop at the end (gently) then count the clicks to the stop the other way then divide by 2 and count that many back. That will put you on center. Then adjust accordingly. What I do when I mount my scope is look through it, drop your eye down the vertical hair and have it running down the center of the barrel. Usually there is something on the bolt that will give a really close center. After you tighten the rings check it again.
    As far as your cheek weld goes it should be where your head wants to naturally be when you shoulder the gun.
    Have patience, it will all come together.
    They are out there,they look like us,they talk like us, but they ain’t us.

Better late than never, haha:

I set up the scope myself (will never buy this weaver style again, so easy to cant the crosshairs), but I need to make some adjustments or get new rings or... I find it hard to get a good sight picture right away, seeing the black blurry edges, etc... Will also have to look into proper cheek weld...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton