Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Re: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Josh with you being fairly new to hunting I am going to offer you some advice. Don’t overthink your set up and gear because you have not developed your style of hunting yet so you(or anyone else for that matter) can’t really judge what fits your personal needs yet

Keep it simple for a few seasons don’t think about gear and focus on learning about the species you are going to hunt and the places they live in. You will learn what you want to add or change after a few seasons

Knife, weapon, good pack, and bino’s is all you need to worry about gear wise till you develop your style of hunting and pick up a little experience

I watch so many new or green hunters buy all kinds of gear at the start only to sell it later. Focus on gaining knowledge of hunting methods, species, and habitat because this is most important

Just go hunting and enjoy yourself figuring it out

This rifle is a 9.3X62 which has express open sights. They are large and were intended for lion hunting in Africa. The setup on this rifle makes using the irons redundant. The mounts are the tallest you can get so it would make sense if I were to get a set of see-thru scope mounts such as these. https://www.natchezss.com/kwik-site-...ion-black.html
    Now some will ask why so tall? The bolt handle comes in contact with shorter scope rings/bases so it has to be at the uppermost position so I can easily utilize these types of rings.
    The scope here is a Burris 2x7x35 Fullfield and having a see-thru system would be complementary,

So the see-thru rings will give you another option.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I've switched to a little old school shooting for this year's bear season. I've used the .300WSM with a 3.5x10 scope for a few years but this year will be a little bit different.

My dad had a Savage 1899 is .303 Savage and last year he handed it over to me. Since then, I've acquired it's identical twin. Dad's was built in 1908 and the other one is from 1900. My goal is to take a bear with each of them this year.

Don't let the scope community sway you. Iron sights can be a lot of fun and make things way more exciting.

We call them Thelma and Louise, sisters in mischief.

If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Josh with you being fairly new to hunting I am going to offer you some advice. Don’t overthink your set up and gear because you have not developed your style of hunting yet so you(or anyone else for that matter) can’t really judge what fits your personal needs yet

Keep it simple for a few seasons don’t think about gear and focus on learning about the species you are going to hunt and the places they live in. You will learn what you want to add or change after a few seasons

Knife, weapon, good pack, and bino’s is all you need to worry about gear wise till you develop your style of hunting and pick up a little experience

I watch so many new or green hunters buy all kinds of gear at the start only to sell it later. Focus on gaining knowledge of hunting methods, species, and habitat because this is most important

Just go hunting and enjoy yourself figuring it out
    Sage advice, thanks wild one! You’re correct, I’m all set on gear then
    I do tend to over think things. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    This rifle is a 9.3X62 which has express open sights. They are large and were intended for lion hunting in Africa. The setup on this rifle makes using the irons redundant. The mounts are the tallest you can get so it would make sense if I were to get a set of see-thru scope mounts such as these. https://www.natchezss.com/kwik-site-...ion-black.html
    Now some will ask why so tall? The bolt handle comes in contact with shorter scope rings/bases so it has to be at the uppermost position so I can easily utilize these types of rings.
    The scope here is a Burris 2x7x35 Fullfield and having a see-thru system would be complementary,

interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    I've switched to a little old school shooting for this year's bear season. I've used the .300WSM with a 3.5x10 scope for a few years but this year will be a little bit different.

My dad had a Savage 1899 is .303 Savage and last year he handed it over to me. Since then, I've acquired it's identical twin. Dad's was built in 1908 and the other one is from 1900. My goal is to take a bear with each of them this year.

Don't let the scope community sway you. Iron sights can be a lot of fun and make things way more exciting.

We call them Thelma and Louise, sisters in mischief.

Those are gorgeous! I almost bought a used .300 savage, but couldn’t justify ammo costs - being a new shooter and all. Maybe I’ll leave the scope off my irons for a while
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

The last bear I took was at 175 yards, my Leupold vx1 was on 3 setting(it's a 3-9x40). You don't really need high magnification, my last moose was taken at 70-80 yards with a 6x fixed power scope. Everyone has their own opinion but I usually just stick with 2-7 or 4x fixed scopes for hunting and plinking. You don't need to stare at the fleas on the animals back, plus at high magnification the slightest shaking is grossly exaggerated when peering thru the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    The last bear I took was at 175 yards, my Leupold vx1 was on 3 setting(it's a 3-9x40). You don't really need high magnification, my last moose was taken at 70-80 yards with a 6x fixed power scope. Everyone has their own opinion but I usually just stick with 2-7 or 4x fixed scopes for hunting and plinking. You don't need to stare at the fleas on the animals back, plus at high magnification the slightest shaking is grossly exaggerated when peering thru the scope.
    I just ordered a 2-7x35 on CGN...

so should I do low rings, with coin screw detach or see through rings?...
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

You want GOOD low as you can go rings.

See through rings are an abomination and anyone who uses them should be dismissed as a crackpot

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Go with a scope. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.
    Like Gateholio and many others have said above. Get a scope. I like 4-12 range because they are fun at the range. Depending on the terrain looks like, I'll leave it between 4 and 6. If u r timber hunting, leave the at 4. Problem solved. Alinging sights will definitely take more time than getting the reticle on target.

Don't over think. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    I just ordered a 2-7x35 on CGN...

so should I do low rings, with coin screw detach or see through rings?...
    Should have read the entire thread. My bad
    Good call on 2-7.
    Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    ...The scope here is a Burris 2x7x35 Fullfield and having a see-thru system would be complementary,

Hey Jag, I ended up ordering the Fullfield II 2-7x35... looking forward to sighting it in when it gets here next week.

Not sure about see throughs, might start with low rings and go from there...

I also want to practice with the irons a lot. I might look at a quick detach system.

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

— G. K. Chesterton