Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Re: Iron sights or scope for bear hunting...?

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    Better late than never, haha:

I set up the scope myself (will never buy this weaver style again, so easy to cant the crosshairs), but I need to make some adjustments or get new rings or... I find it hard to get a good sight picture right away, seeing the black blurry edges, etc... Will also have to look into proper cheek weld...
    His rifle and scope is easy to square up. First set up the rifle level. Use a small torpedo level under the flat part of your forestock. Once the rifle is level side to side, place the level on your top turret cap. With the rings loose, rotate your scope inside the rings, without moving the level rifle, until the torpedo sitting on your turret cap is also level. Begin evenly snugging up your ring screws each a little at a time and keeping that torpedo level. Use a torque wrench to set the specified load - I don't use a torque wrench.

I find I need my scope typically set as close to me as possible to get a full view/picture through the scope. Cheaper scopes tend to show me a dark perimeter ring at the top power settings. The eyepiece focus can be set to provide some clarity.

Others will likely offer up other ways to square up your scope. I make this work for me without special tools.
    T

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    His rifle and scope is easy to square up. First set up the rifle level. Use a small torpedo level under the flat part of your forestock. Once the rifle is level side to side, place the level on your top turret cap. With the rings loose, rotate your scope inside the rings, without moving the level rifle, until the torpedo sitting on your turret cap is also level. Begin evenly snugging up your ring screws each a little at a time and keeping that torpedo level. Use a torque wrench to set the specified load - I don't use a torque wrench.

I find I need my scope typically set as close to me as possible to get a full view/picture through the scope. Cheaper scopes tend to show me a dark perimeter ring at the top power settings. The eyepiece focus can be set to provide some clarity.

Others will likely offer up other ways to square up your scope. I make this work for me without special tools.
    T
    Thanks Rieber,

I'll give it another shot, though it's so frustrating tightening this weaver scope as the screws are only on one side, which means as I tighten the rings, the scope rotates towards the direction of the screws...

From what I've read, this Fulfield II scope is supposed to be pretty good for a cheaper scope... Though I'd be interested in knowing what the next step up would be, that a discernible improvement would be noticed. Swaro Z5? Leppy 3i? Leppy 5HD?

Cheers!

Josh
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

If I was you, I'd get a nice 2X7, 2.5X8, or 3X9. Your eyes will tell you which one. You should then mount them on a set of quick releases that give you access to a good set of aperture, (am I spelling that right) sights, again, in a style only your eyes can tell. My reasoning, you're always in the game no matter what happens to your scope. On top of that, and I would agree with Gates that hunting in close quarters a scope is ok. But that's when your hunting. If I had the choice, there would be no way you'd get me to pick a scoped rifle over a non-scoped rifle, and then walk through thick brambles looking for a wounded Grizzly or even black. But that's me. Same thing with hiking out with meat in Grizz country. You might not be talking yards, you might be talking feet. Boom quick. My two cents.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

I should say as well. Your choice of gun is completely adequate for anything you might encounter in BC.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Helqvist ghost ring on an old Husky 9.3 x57 or 62.shoots 280 gr of soft lead and hits like the hammer of Thor.

Late opinion but I found iron sights lacking when low light conditions existed.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    For up to 300 yards what would you recommend, 2-7x33 or 3-9x40? Do you have experience with either?
    I have a Leupold VX11 3x9X40mm objective lens mounted on my 300win mag and at low light I have it set at 3 or 4. The 40 mm objective lens will gather more light in low light times compared to the 33mm. But then again my days of shooting bears at last light are behind me now, I don't need to have another bear come into eat on the grassy patch in the dark that I'm cleaning the bear that I shot at last light anymore. Just me and a headlamp and another bear, Don't need that excitement anymore.

I enjoy using open sights. Requires a bit more practice to figure out how much bead to use for various distances. As others have stated, the open sights are not as easy to use during low light. As you age the vision gets fuzzy and it becomes a bit more difficult.

Once I figure out the bead placement requirements from a bench I strictly practice offhand or seated shots. It is a real pleasure to handle and swing around a rifle with open sights - especially a heavy, larger bore cannon like a 375

A set of Warne quick detach rings and bases would allow you to use your irons whenever you want? Looks like you would need a scope with a longer tube or a full rail though? I've had good luck with cheap leupolds and Redfield revolutions
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

Swing away mount.