Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEH Group Hunts vs Individual Applications succes Rate

LEH Group Hunts vs Individual Applications succes Rate

Going to apply for Moose this year, and it has the group hunt option.
    But I want to know something, statistically speaking.
    I heard that group hunt applications quite often give better percentage of winning over an individual application (regardless of odds here folks).

Is that true?
    OR
    is it better to just apply as an individual?
    OR
    No real difference or Advantage?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: LEH Group Hunts vs Individual Applications succes Rate

For the last 8 years or whatever has made no real difference from my perspective
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Arrow Re: LEH Group Hunts vs Individual Applications succes Rate

I found that we were more successful going with the "shared" draws rather than individual.
    Even managed to draw 3 years back to back under supposedly "reduced odds" by doing so.

Good Luck!
    Nog
    Last edited by IronNoggin; 04-18-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Moose and bison are shared hunts, not group hunts. Putting in 3-4 hunters together on a shared moose hunt increases the odds of getting drawn. They go into the draw as separate applications, and if one gets drawn, every member of the shared hunt can buy a tag. For 3-4 hunters in a shared group, the bag limit will be two animals total.

Group hunts go in as one application. If drawn, all members can get a tag and bag limit would be one animal each.
    Last edited by todbartell; 04-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Group hunts get treated the same as individual application in that they assigned one number for the computer draw. However if one person in the group is flagged for reduced odds the entire group gets flagged. So you might have better odds applying as an individual if any one member of your group was successful in the leh draw for the species last year otherwise there is no difference.

Thanks Guys!
    Grouped and shared Hunts is something I have never applied for.
    To be honest, other than recent LM Elk hunt draws, the only time I applied for LEH was for Goat tags

Moose has never been on my radar as a hunt as I am way to deep into my elk hunts.
    But, I have had better chances at harvesting Moose where I go now, and has been so for the past 10 years.
    (I just never read the fine print where I could go with bow before Oct 15th....stupid on my part)
    Thus I thought I was never there to hunt them at that point, so never applied.

Todd:
    Yes, Shared hunt is the right scenario I was thinking about.
    Just lack of knowledge on the whole thing, thus the thread.

Cheers guys, and yes, good luck to all!

Statistically, the "odds" are better in a "shared" hunt....look at it this way...for a group of four to get 2 moose tags...only 1 out of the four has to get drawn. 4 individuals putting in, 2 out of 4 have to be drawn to get the same 2 moose tags. However, in the shared hunt scenario you automatically eliminate the chance for a 3rd and 4th tag. 4 individuals could possibly draw 4 tags....not real likely that your group of partners would go 4 for 4....but anything is possible!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

People get group and shared mixed up.

Basically a group is we all go and we all get to harvest something or we don't go at all
    Shared is we all go, only some of us get to harvest something but at least we get to go

You will have better odds in shared, same odds in group. Personally, I only put in shared hunts for moose and bison, it does increase your odds of success, and the animals are large enough its easy to divvy up the meat.

You would put in for say a group hunt where its something like a fly in caribou hunt where people won't invest in the trip unless they get a tag...so you all go and hold tags or you don't go at all...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

This is the deal.
    There are about 15 permits available (10:1 odds appr)

If I did apply as a shared hunt, and up to 4 of us did the same for his particular draw.

What happens if "only one of us gets drawn", and it is the "very last permit (the 15th permit).
    If that was me, do I lose out because I went in as a "shared" hunt and they give out "2 tags", but remember, at that point, there is only 1 left.
    (Its all good if I or one of the other 3 get drawn say before the 12th permit)

So that is my "concern".
    What happens if a shared hunt gets drawn, but only 1 permit remains to be drawn?

Do I get dumped because I in the shared hunt, and then someone in the "individual format" gets picked??

Just confused a bit when it comes down to the crucnh of last permit in the barrel for that draw.