Thread: Great Lakes vs West Coast salmon fishery...

Great Lakes vs West Coast salmon fishery...

The fact that they built the burgeoning Great Lakes salmon fishery from nothing while the West Coast salmon fishery was imploding is proof that you CAN have a viable fishery if there is the political will to dedicate the resources to do so.While the west coast needs were ignored and the Chinook population plummeted the Great Lakes were booming.The so called ‘wild salmon’( do nothing)initiative is proof that nature DOES need a helping hand as the Americans proved when they embarked on a concerted effort to put more fish in the system.

Thirty years ago the lower 48 west coast salmon fishery was in about the same situation as we face today- dwindling stocks resulting in the demise of their recreational salmon fishery.The difererance was the Americans put the money into hatcheries and stream enhancement-and it paid off.The Canadians openly said they were ‘going a diferent route’- supposedly ‘wild salmon’....the results are in,last years collection of tissue sample study confirmed what many of us suspected, theJusn de Fuca recreational salmon fishery was almost all Washington state hatchery fish...without that we would have already been going home empty handed.

The only question is,is this enough to convince the Federal DFO to admit they totally blew it and are going to put the needed resources into hatcheries and stream enhancement to bring our once world renowned salmon fishery back ,or are we just going to study it into oblivion,just like they did to the east coast cod fishery?As it stands,we have already lost our commercial troll fishery and healthy lifestyles it once supported ,and now the recreational fishery has virtually gone as we are in practical terms reduced to August and September after which most of the fish have gone through.You can’t sustain a recreational fishing industry on two months a year

Its an election year, if we hope to have ANYTHING ,we HAVE to make this an issue.To quote Trudeau ’its what Canadians want’
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-18-2019 at 06:34 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Great Lakes vs West Coast salmon fishery...

Federal fisheries should have been fired years ago and a provincial entity formed. When I brood stalked back in the 90’s, we had lots of hoops to jump through and the appreciation level was next to none. All our gear, fuel and supplies were paid for by the individuals doing the work. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed all my outings, but the Feds didn’t give a shit about anything that we were trying to do, nor did they listen to our concerns for future stocks. I’d do it again if we had a proper plan put into place to reinstate stocks back to every stream in the valley. The first salmon to fill streams should be the all mighty chum as they are the life blood fertilizer of all streams.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Trudeau talks about ‘jobs,jobs, jobs’ as long as they are Quebec ,Ontario jobs....what about WEST coast salmon fisheries jobs? Don’t they matter?

I totally agree that fisheries should be PROVINCIAL,not federal.....the farther away,the less accountability

I dont know why the BC Govt couldnt take to the supreme court the case for removal of DFO interference for any fish stocks that migrate to and spawn in freshwater streams in the province. Just based on the evidence of mismanagement. However, I dont know that would help anything due to whats been demonstrated by the total lack of provincial management of wildlife stocks which they currently are mandated to look after. The less the feds have to do with anything in our lives the better IMHO.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

The farther away your politician is,the less accountable they are.The only time they pay lip service to you is at election time when they want your vote.Political correctness gets votes, they won’t risk treading on any toes even if it’s the right thing to do