Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    How many licence's take that 12%. How about all the other commercial sectors? How many fish ends up as floaters when caught as by catch? No sympathy for the commercial sector here. They should have been cut back further years ago and the stocks wouldn't be in the shape they are today. They never change until they are forced to......all for the almighty dollar.
    If your going to throw the commercial guys under the bus, you might also want to consider past provincial governments who have allowed logging companies to totally destroy streams, spawning beds and habitat. I think all users of the fishing resource can take equal blame for it's present state. You cannot take, take, take, and never give back. This is a wake up call for everyone. Stop taking these precise resources for granted. They are all finite.

Thumbs down Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Quote Originally Posted by scott h View Post
    How many licence's take that 12%. How about all the other commercial sectors? How many fish ends up as floaters when caught as by catch? No sympathy for the commercial sector here. They should have been cut back further years ago and the stocks wouldn't be in the shape they are today. They never change until they are forced to......all for the almighty dollar.
    Complete ignorant, uninformed bullshit.
    Why did I not expect anything less...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

not being particularly well informed on B.C.'s commercial fishing....i of course started looking around the magic interweb.....from the DFO website...

Commercial

Commercial fishing for salmon began shortly after the arrival of Europeans on the West Coast and has continued into the present. Commercial openings can occur anywhere along the coast depending on local run timing (May-October), distribution and stock strength. Salmon management is informed by a number of policies and programs in place, including the New Direction series instituted in 1998.
    Commercial salmon licences are issued for three gear types: seine, gillnet and troll. Trollers employ hooks and lines which are suspended from large poles extending from the fishing vessel. Altering the type and arrangement of lures used on lines allows various species to be targeted. Trollers catch approximately 25 per cent of the commercial harvest. Seine nets are set from fishing boats with the assistance of a small skiff. Nets are set in a circle around aggregations of fish. The bottom edges of the net are then drawn together into a “purse” to prevent escape of the fish. Seiners take approximately 50 per cent of the commercial catch. Salmon gill nets are rectangular nets that hang in the water and are set from either the stern or bow of the vessel. Fish swim headfirst into the net, entangling their gills in the mesh. Altering mesh size and the way in which nets are suspended in the water allows nets to target selectively on certain species and sizes of fish. Gill netters generally fish near coastal rivers and inlets, taking about 25 per cent of the commercial catch. Licence conditions and commercial fishing plans lay out allowable gear characteristics such as hook styles, mesh size, net dimensions and the methods by which gear may be used.
    More links of interest regarding commercial salmon fishing may be found at the top of this page.
    For more information about commercial fishing for different species in the Pacific Region, please visit the Fisheries page.
    Soooo......am I understanding correctly that 75% of the commercial sector is unaffected while the other 25% is taking the brunt of this? Why would that be? If they were going to reduce commercial catch, why isnt it spread across trollers, seiners, and gillnetters....a little pain for all? Am I missing something here?

P.S. Deep Breath Nog!....play nice!
    Last edited by willyqbc; 04-16-2019 at 07:50 PM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    FN's are supposed to not fish until July 15th, buddy was watching a gill net up from derby reach this past week, as for the commies they have been cut back so much they also are a non issue, Costa Rica here i come
    I saw that boat at derby too last Saturday, didn’t think there’d be anything in the river to net right now :s

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Complete ignorant, uninformed bullshit.
    Why did I not expect anything less...

Nog
    So the recreational fishermen gets maybe 10% vs the commercial guys 90% share. How many commercial licences? A couple thousand? Seems like a big piece of the pie for a lucky few.......

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    I saw that boat at derby too last Saturday, didn’t think there’d be anything in the river to net right now :s
    Oh they are the biggest springs are making their way up the river now. It’s total bullshit....Gill nets are a huge problem in “our” rivers

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    Early springs start running in March in the fraser
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

The thing that is so frustrating is the decline in size and numbers of Chinook was the worst kept secret in Sooke .Everybody who fished Juan de Fuca knew it. The volunteers did what they could but got zero help from DFO( they ‘studied’it) This implosion COULD have been averted by a concerted effort to put more fish in the system.The ‘Wild Salmon’ response ( do nothing) by DFO was a complete disaster..to add insult to injury,the volunteer built water control 4’ high dam was destroyed by the government because ‘if we had a massive force 9 earthquake it might breech the dam and cause flooding downstream..(.nobody mentioned that an earthquake of this magnitude would level Victoria) so there you have it,nobody at either the provincial or federal level did anything and today we’re shut down,the recreational guys took it on the chin...short term profit oriented bad forestry management destroyed the spawning grounds, pollution and over fishing was the coup de grace ...not to mention the lost recreation, I wonder how many BILLION dollars will this cost the whole industry,hotels, guides, tackle, boats,motor and all the spin off industry.
    yeah,I’m choked,at 72 I’m unlikely to still be around even if they do manage to bring back the salmon fishing in 10 years..( even if they started TODAY you can’t just reverse decades of bad management in a year or two...the very MINIMUM is 5 years away to see ANY results ,and I just don’t have the TIME left( I was looking at a book of the history of tyee fishing in Cambell river,just pictures now)

ps- yes we can catch pinks but how many people are going to shell out $300 for a 4 hour guided fishing trip to catch a 4 lb pink which are only there one month of every second the year anyway?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-17-2019 at 08:12 AM.

We got ‘good news’ and ‘bad news’..the good news is we can still go fishing,the bad news is we can’t use hooks...

The finger pointing needs to stop. It never will.... There is not one user group to blame. everyone has taken theirs.
    What we need to do is forget the Commie Vs Sport Vs Native Vs logging ... and we all need to Vs the F uckers in the big city that don't know shit...

There is a river in the states, sorry I cant remember the name... They Killed 13 sealions.... 13,,, near nothing... That river had a return of 3k Steel head in 2017... it got a 7k return this year. for the lives of 13 sealions....
    Damned near every hatchery fish ,, around 80% I think it is... caught off Sooke is from the Columbia... Why? The Yanks actually put fish in the rivers!

These threads on here and the rest of the internet are just showing us the problem... its US! it needs to be US Vs the city F ucks... we need to
    1) kill pinnipeds
    2) rehab streams and balance the PH in the rivers ( yep acid rain )
    3) PUT FISH IN THE RIVERS
    4) work on ocean survival
    5) stop fighting amongst ourselves....

Ps, Nog is more involved in the science side of this than most all of us.. myself included. and note. he didn't point a finger at a user group....