Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Draconian Fisheries Closures

guest Guest

Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Done with the lies and BS from DFO and its bosses.
    How pathetic as none of these closures grow more fish. Its take take take by FNs.....nothing building a future.
    For many like myself volunteering at hatcheries, fundraising, creek and river clean ups, submitting data and samples through the avid angler program, then getting shat on by politicians that could actually care less about habitat and growing more fish.
    Its all jyst a change in allocation of what remains.
    Kiss my Arse DFO im done with your studies, your lies, mistruths.
    You becon every call too FNs. I ask you what are they putting into the economy like the Recreational angler. Zip.
    I purchased my 1st boat at 16. Im almost 60 now. Eight boats later and too many thousands of dollars into the economy for this .
    Days are numbered boyz n girls. Enjoy whats left till its gone because DFO is doing nothing to create more fish or more opportunities for recreational fishers. Its all but gone.
    Sold my boat yesterday. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Done with the lies and BS from DFO and its bosses.
    How pathetic as none of these closures grow more fish. Its take take take by FNs.....nothing building a future.
    For many like myself volunteering at hatcheries, fundraising, creek and river clean ups, submitting data and samples through the avid angler program, then getting shat on by politicians that could actually care less about habitat and growing more fish.
    Its all jyst a change in allocation of what remains.
    Kiss my Arse DFO im done with your studies, your lies, mistruths.
    You becon every call too FNs. I ask you what are they putting into the economy like the Recreational angler. Zip.
    I purchased my 1st boat at 16. Im almost 60 now. Eight boats later and too many thousands of dollars into the economy for this .
    Days are numbered boyz n girls. Enjoy whats left till its gone because DFO is doing nothing to create more fish or more opportunities for recreational fishers. Its all but gone.
    Sold my boat yesterday. Done.
    I was wondering the same about wildlife enhancement projects being undertaken by volunteers all over the province, we are doing these things so FN can benefit from them?

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    I was wondering the same about wildlife enhancement projects being undertaken by volunteers all over the province, we are doing these things so FN can benefit from them?

The short and General answer is yes....
    We are not fishing any chinook. So everything we have done is not going to the Natives this year. Sure things like the 720k smoult I mentioned in Sooke harbour might not get harvested by FN but it wont be by us either... so the short Version is everything anyone has done for Chinook will be 80% ( obviously a number that is up for debate due to where the closures are ) un harvestable .... and when we can kill fish a good chunk of them will be by in some of the big areas...

I would like everyone to ask themselves (before you bitch), "what have I really done for the resource?" "What have I really put back?"

If you spend $1000's on your boat and tackle, days getting ready and weeks fishing, what percentage of $$ and time have YOU spent helping the fish. I'm betting that the raffle ticket you bought for $20 last year wasn't quite enough, huh? That day you volunteered was 5 years ago? It doesn't count anymore. The fish banquet you attended was great, but maybe it's time we all you our hands dirty, if we want to keep fishing in the future.

I have noticed that quite often, "the loudest do the least", when it comes to helping our salmon.

Lots of talk and finger pointing (and hypocracy) (SCREAMING) - "Its them, not us!" DFO has screwed it up! Damn seals! Fishfarms! FN fisheries! "We only catch what is allowed", "Eco groups are out to get us!" , "Damn Whales" and my personal favourite "I catch and release!". But what did you actually do? What did you put back?(to help the salmon?)

Our spring fish banquet (Campbell River) raised over $100k for the salmon and was attended by 425 people. Know how many active fishing guides were there? Zero! Know how many guides donated prizes? Two. Commercial fishers- zero.

The tackle stores, resorts and commercial fishing suppliers were well represented, but the actual boat drivers were noticeable in their absence. A good bunch of retired guides and retired comm fishers, but the guys that are still actively doing it................ not so much.

A guide makes his/her living off a public resource. No requirement to put anything back. You would think the connection between dead fish = $$ would motivate consumers to protect the resource? Largely not. (SCREAMING) "But I create jobs!" "The sale of licenses helps enhancement!" "I generate more $$ per fish than commercial guys!" - Horsesh##, the 100 springs you bonked last year didn't help the resource. Oh, you caught and released another 100? You know an average of 1 in 10 released fish goes straight to the bottom. How many more gimp off and provide seal lunch? Your catch and release does less harm than bonking, but it still does harm, and sure as hell doesn't help the resource.

Liberals, NDP, DFO, Federal Government...... Do you remember the last time government fixed anything? Limited budgets, bureaucracy and always dealing with the lowest bidder. Do you guys really think they will fix? If they do, how quick will it happen?

That smell? It's the s##t hitting the fan, and it can get much worse. Maybe these closures will wake a few people up. It has always been grass root organizations that have created change. You CAN fix your local stream, donate more $$, join a streamkeepers group, while writing letters to the people above in government. Get your hands dirty, and stop talking about it. If you salmon fish, you are part of the problem. That's OK, just put something back.

The 4 guys that you fish with for a week every year? Get together and volunteer for a day and cough up more $$! Guides - how about every customer in your boat gives $20 to the PSF or local enhancement group. Talk to your customers and let them know where it is going.

Most of all, ask yourselves "WHAT HAVE I REALLY PUT BACK?" am I being honest with myself? Am I one of the screamers that doesn't contribute, and blames others? What can I do to make even a small difference?

If we want our kids to be able to catch a fish we need to do more. 40 years from now, when all chinook are dead, do you want to be the guy that tells his grandkids "I didn't actually do anything about it at the time, but man, did I bitch and complain!"

Thumbs down Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Bait View Post
    I would like everyone to ask themselves (before you bitch), "what have I really done for the resource?" "What have I really put back?"
    You can step down from that high horse of yours any time now.
    My working career for most of my life was dedicated towards the betterment of the fisheries resources.
    I can guarantee you I have put in one hell of a lot more time, energy and effort than you or anyone like you.
    At the end of that run I decided it was perhaps time I could now relax on that account, and enjoy some of the fruits of my labors.
    The Gov gave that opportunity away.

So while on one hand I do understand we need more front line soldiers to correct this effing mess, on the other I certainly don't appreciate the type of insinuations you are spewing today.

Angry? You bet.
    They just destroyed my life.
    And your suggestion is that I should have been more involved?

GET A GRIP!

Pissed,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

If you spend $1000's on your boat and tackle, days getting ready and weeks fishing, what percentage of $$ and time have YOU spent helping the fish. I'm betting that the raffle ticket you bought for $20 last year wasn't quite enough, huh? That day you volunteered was 5 years ago? It doesn't count anymore. The fish banquet you attended was great, but maybe it's time we all you our hands dirty, if we want to keep fishing in the future.

I have noticed that quite often, "the loudest do the least", when it comes to helping our salmon.

Lots of talk and finger pointing (and hypocracy) (SCREAMING) - "Its them, not us!" DFO has screwed it up! Damn seals! Fishfarms! FN fisheries! "We only catch what is allowed", "Eco groups are out to get us!" , "Damn Whales" and my personal favourite "I catch and release!". But what did you actually do? What did you put back?(to help the salmon?)

Our spring fish banquet (Campbell River) raised over $100k for the salmon and was attended by 425 people. Know how many active fishing guides were there? Zero! Know how many guides donated prizes? Two. Commercial fishers- zero.

The tackle stores, resorts and commercial fishing suppliers were well represented, but the actual boat drivers were noticeable in their absence. A good bunch of retired guides and retired comm fishers, but the guys that are still actively doing it................ not so much.

A guide makes his/her living off a public resource. No requirement to put anything back. You would think the connection between dead fish = $$ would motivate consumers to protect the resource? Largely not. (SCREAMING) "But I create jobs!" "The sale of licenses helps enhancement!" "I generate more $$ per fish than commercial guys!" - Horsesh##, the 100 springs you bonked last year didn't help the resource. Oh, you caught and released another 100? You know an average of 1 in 10 released fish goes straight to the bottom. How many more gimp off and provide seal lunch? Your catch and release does less harm than bonking, but it still does harm, and sure as hell doesn't help the resource.

Liberals, NDP, DFO, Federal Government...... Do you remember the last time government fixed anything? Limited budgets, bureaucracy and always dealing with the lowest bidder. Do you guys really think they will fix? If they do, how quick will it happen?

That smell? It's the s##t hitting the fan, and it can get much worse. Maybe these closures will wake a few people up. It has always been grass root organizations that have created change. You CAN fix your local stream, donate more $$, join a streamkeepers group, while writing letters to the people above in government. Get your hands dirty, and stop talking about it. If you salmon fish, you are part of the problem. That's OK, just put something back.

The 4 guys that you fish with for a week every year? Get together and volunteer for a day and cough up more $$! Guides - how about every customer in your boat gives $20 to the PSF or local enhancement group. Talk to your customers and let them know where it is going.

Most of all, ask yourselves "WHAT HAVE I REALLY PUT BACK?" am I being honest with myself? Am I one of the screamers that doesn't contribute, and blames others? What can I do to make even a small difference?

If we want our kids to be able to catch a fish we need to do more. 40 years from now, when all chinook are dead, do you want to be the guy that tells his grandkids "I didn't actually do anything about it at the time, but man, did I bitch and complain!"

I totally agree with the idea of what you are saying..... "Be a helper, not a taker"
    BUT, from you post I also take that you are an event organiser/helper... which is great.... what you should be doing is not standing up there pointing your own finger back at us but helping push people to help by providing a venue...
    Remember the allocation scandal? people basically yelling at members to step up or shut up... what did that do? it drove a wedge through a 10,000 member forum plus more...

as much as I see what you are saying and understand it... it does nothing to help. I have a small family and a big house... all I can do is donate... I donated 200$ to 1Campfire, sure it was a raffle but I don't do that, ever... I did it because it is for a good cause and I am in able to volunteer... I have no time. back in the day I volunteered for Vic Sar.... for three years... so yes I do take part when I can. You should not be up there pointing your own finger, people with your experience should help people like me find a place I can do my best to financially help.

We pay taxes and we buy licences....the Federal Government has a responsibility to manage the resource, and they failed miserably ,just like they failed on the East Coast cod....the user groups have limited resources to do much and the volunteers have been doing yeoman job trying to do what the DFO should have been doing all along.The seven(7) Chinook on my licence last year had very little impact on the resource . Thankfuly we got a some pinks and few coho ( that we could keep) and about 4 sockeye( generally we cannot retain any we catch,when the sockeye are off sooke, there is no opening )
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-24-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Through the ‘90s I spent many hours brood stalking and some stream rehab projects; all out of my pocket. Now, you do have some valid points Crab Bait, but the big question; What have you done???
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

If this is your idea of how to encourage more people to "give back", you are so wrong....

In my years I've given a shit ton of my time and $$$$ not just for salmon, but for freshwater fish and wildlife as well. I don't need to "ask myself anything". And I sure as hell don't need to define or quantify any of that to you.

The DFO, solely, from the very top down, is to blame for where we are today.

Guess what. I am done. No saltwater fishing for me this year. No more donations or volunteer work for me.
    I've been doing it for years, and the only result is that everything gets f**cked up for the resource, and the only people who benefit are Indians.

On and fyi.... For you to say that the day I volunteered 5 years ago "doesn't count"?
    Best I don't comment...

"The DFO, solely, from the very top down, is to blame for where we are today. " I disagree with this, I feel its more the courts and people who have used the courts to make the govt pay $$$$$$$$$$$$ that seems to be directing this country in all things be it wildlife management or giving money to migrant Terrorists ...