Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

There are definitely user group issues that need to be addressed.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I fail to understand pointing fingers at user groups. I thought the government we elected was responsible for managing our fish and wildlife? Point the finger at those successive governments that failed to do their duty and based their decisions on politics and votes instead of science and the success of the resource.
    Then point the finger at us for allowing them to do it. Apathy and a system based on corruption is responsible. It is our system and it is our responsibility to fix it, together.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Yes I get that and yes the whole thing is ultimately DFO's fault for not managing and enforcing properly. However, when one user group is running willy-nilly over regulation and common sense then you do definitely have a user group issue that needs to be addressed.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Weatherby man,,, for sure... that is correct. BUT! what more commonly happens is misinformation on the internet. Is that user group really running around willy nilly? is it just a small section of it?
    regardless, only alignment and sacrifice from all will help us in the right way... Sitting on the internet saying " the Indians will be selling chinook in the closure" just creates anger against a user group when it is most likely just a small portion of it ... IF they do it.

Thomas Seiwid is trying to swing the government into a cull of Pinnipeds using his Heritage.... he has the biggest gun. Yet so many people point fingers at the Natives.... news flash ... they aren't all the same! some of the comments on his FB page blow my mind! Fisherman questioning his motive.... It the same as ours! More fish! who cares who uses the fish for now, lets just get some fish.....
    Last edited by 835; 04-17-2019 at 09:43 AM.

I'm jot going to pretend to know the science however on the topic of predators, which I'm well aware of the seal/sea lions issue one I've heard discussed quite a bit but never mentioned online is the bull trout populations.

I'm not sure if there is any real data to support that they do impact populations, but the squamish river fisheries blow for salmon these days and it's not hard to catch a bully from what I've seen.

Why is it that the only people who actualy DO something are the volunteers trying to put more fish in the system,cleaning up streams etc ,while the DFO ‘studies ‘ it ? This whole debacle didn’t happen over night,it’s been DECADES in the making...here’s an interesting thought for you-if the orcas eat Chinook,which are declining in size, then it takes TWO 20 lb Chinook to equal ONE 40 lb Chinook....resulting in TWICE as many salmon that will never live to spawn because of size alone.When was the last time you saw a 60 lb tyee? ..in a picture,maybe? Whats happening is the decline in numbers is now escalating expodentialy as the runs collapse .
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-17-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Mergansers are huge. seals sea lions...... there are all kinds of predators out there.... mink, otters.... Some need to be balanced.... and sure maybe a kill fishery on bulls would help. It could be a great ticket for Fisherperson Recruitment as well.
    We need Fisheries to actually be responsible for the science of it as well as the implementer of a proper fix.... Swim surveys on that river would be simple.... and are most likely done already.

Quick example on how Sports fisherman hurt our fish....
    fishing Kelt Steelhead. I have met over my life many people who fish Kelts on a sensitive system, usually getting good numbers... and they think they are cool for catching a lot of fish.... The mortality rate on these fish is huge...
    are all sports fishers bad because of this? no.... piles of Steel come off the Stamp every season.... it is in trouble now.... yet Down Island the Cowichan which has no hatchery fish is doing ok...

I know this is about Chinook and I just talked about Steelhead but the theory is the same... We all take ours... we need to drop it and go against the City and Government....

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Why is it that the only people who actualy DO something are the volunteers trying to put more fish in the system,cleaning up streams etc ,while the DFO ‘studies ‘ it ? This whole debacle dodn’t Happen over night,it’s been DECADES in the making...here’s an interesting thought for you-if the orcas eat Chinook,which are declining in size, then it takes TWO 20 lb Chinook to equal ONE 40 lb Chinook....resulting in TWICE as many salmon that will never live to spawn because of size alone

to add to your thought here......
    The SRK's most only feed on 20lb plus fish...... only recently has hatcheries started to put large fish with large fish and smalls with smalls when breeding..... the fish we created before we knew this was a cookie cutter 20lber

I just got a book on the Campbell River tyee fishing...will we EVER see fish like that again? An old guy I used to know( dead now) was a seiner man,told.me about the huge springs they would get up rivers inlet way..60-.80- 100 lb fish...

if we get our shit together we will.... The Campbell river is the river that was the proving ground to the new idea of making big fish, and they have seen a difference..... The "Science" is there...