Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

What’s particularly galling is volunteers who have worked for years at stream rehabilitation and salmon enhancement have been shut right out ,sacrificed for political correctness and pressure groups ,and there’s not one darn thing can be done about it ,they call the shots .Trudeau talks about ‘jobs ,jobs ,jobs’ but NOT out here as a whole industry has been first ignored then sacrificed. Nobody in Ottawa cares and nobody is listening while pretty boy spouts his spiel...they’re allocated $850,000 for each and every orca,how much was allocated for stream enhancement , preditor control and hatcheries?....we can’t even ‘voluntarily’ do preditor control- you go to jail for that...

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    What’s particularly galling is volunteers who have worked for years at stream rehabilitation and salmon enhancement have been shut right out ,sacrificed for political correctness and pressure groups ,and there’s not one darn thing can be done about it ,they call the shots .Trudeau talks about ‘jobs ,jobs ,jobs’ but NOT out here as a whole industry has been first ignored then sacrificed. Nobody in Ottawa cares and nobody is listening while pretty boy spouts his spiel...they’re allocated $850,000 for each and every orca,how much was allocated for stream enhancement , preditor control and hatcheries?....we can’t even ‘voluntarily’ do preditor control- you go to jail for that...

There is the greatest question we all have....... what happened to the 720,000 Chinook smolt Us private guys put into Sooke Harbour? If they took all that money and dumped it into all you said the problem would be solved with money in the bank...

Alberta jobs....gone. BC jobs....gone. Trudeau....gone. Liberals....gone!

Man this is getting brutal!! I've sent some emails, but not expecting much!

835-wasn’t this the second year volunteers put those smolts into Sooke harbour in an attempt to actually DO something about increasing the Chinook numbers? Are these volunteers going to continue to volunteer their time and efforts if they get shut out?I know one guy who won’t be there next year, my fishing guide who I have chartered with for 20 years....sold his boat,sold his house and is moving away...can’t blame him either,and I think there will be a lot more guides following suite. You want a berth at sooke harbour marina ? Take your pick,there’s lots of room now and likely a lot more to come.Charter guides simply can’t afford to pay moorage on boats that will be just growing weed on their bottom 8 to 10 months a year...by the time we were allowed to keep coho last October they had gone through...even the once consistent winter spring fishery was a bust this year..that leaves just two months ( August and September ) to pick up charters.Nobody can run a charter business fishing 6 or 8 weeks a year..we saw the commercial troller guys go through the same thing,reduced to just a short openings, now it’s our turn... oh well, maybe the charter guys can take up whale watching( that was always the bonus,seeing orcas coursing through the sports fleet,no they weren’t the slightest bit scared off by boat motors-the theoretical reason we were shut down west of a Otter Point last year)
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-23-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Hmmm there is nothing mentioned about all the nets the natives have in the rivers. the wife and I drove by Kamloops lake a few years ago and there was 8 gill net boats fishing the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    835-wasn’t this the second year volunteers put those smolts into Sooke harbour in an attempt to actually DO something about increasing the Chinook numbers? Are these volunteers going to continue to volunteer their time and efforts if they get shut out?I know one guy who won’t be there next year, my fishing guide who I have chartered with for 20 years....sold his boat,sold his house and is moving away...can’t blame him either,and I think there will be a lot more guides following suite. You want a berth at sooke harbour marina ? Take your pick,there’s lots of room now and likely a lot more to come.Charter guides simply can’t afford to pay moorage on boats that will be just growing weed on their bottom 8 to 10 months a year...by the time we were allowed to keep coho last October they had gone through...even the once consistent winter spring fishery was a bust this year..that leaves just two months ( August and September ) to pick up charters.Nobody can run a charter business fishing 6 or 8 weeks a year..we saw the commercial troller guys go through the same thing,reduced to just a short openings, now it’s our turn... oh well, maybe the charter guys can take up whale watching( that was always the bonus,seeing orcas coursing through the sports fleet,no they weren’t the slightest bit scared off by boat motors-the theoretical reason we were shut down west of a Otter Point last year)

don't forget the Demamiel Dam in that volunteer let down....... 50k to repair the dam...... that is absolutely nothing..
    or what about the Bonaparte fish ladder full of sediment that has now stopped every returning Steelhead from making it up the river to spawn...... what would that have cost to fix? how much of that 825k per whale will get there?
    DFO, as we all know is useless...

I could choke down a harsh restriction IF that damned DFO actually did something in the rivers to build fish....
    The Fraser fish we are trying to "SAVE" will all be past us Sport/Commie guys and in the river when they open it up to Ceremonial/Trade ( Commercial ) Native fishing...
    its F ucked...... Regulation does not make fish especially when you don't regulate one of the biggest takers.

Why are they trying to ‘save the whales’ but not ‘save the steelhead’?....they ‘save the bunnies’ they ‘save the wolves’ they ‘save the seals’ but they totally ignore anything outside their myopic view of political correctness... seems to me the DFO is only guided by public protest,not scientific evidence and is trying to score points at the ballot box,making it ‘look like’they are ‘doing something’ without doing anything. Terry and I have spent many hours observing the decline in both numbers and size of Chinook(the June -July run of once common 30-40 lb with the occasional one over 50 lb Chinook is only a fading memory now) and the burgeoning seal population off Possession point that make it virtually impossible to land a Chinook anywhere close to the rocks ....who cares? Obviously not DFO ,the recreational fishery and all the supporting infrastructure was ignored and sacrificed.Yeah,I’m choked , I will never realize my dream to take my grandsons out with Terry and watch them land a big Chinook off the third rock just west of Otter ....best I can hope for now is some pinks,which are fine eating but just not the same as a trophy Chinook ripping the line out.But I guess as long as the MPs can order a farm raised salmon in an Ottawa restraunt they won’t care - or do anything.Looks like I’ll be getting my salmon at Costco now.. I recall coming back to the ramp at Sooke Harbour Marina and the fisheries officer asking ‘how many wild salmon did you release?’ And I said ‘none’ but we released a whole bunch of unclipped hatchery ‘....
    .the guy looked at me and said, ‘yeah,actualy you’re right,but that’s what the law is’
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-24-2019 at 08:58 AM.

They only care about Votes.. that is it. And we are vastly out numbered.
    you know the sad thing? when The Steel are gone they will still blame us. When the chinook are dead they will still blame us..... They will never see that balance is something we have to do. I fear the day I get "called out by a city slicker" I am a bit pent up..... Ratherbefishing, I know exactly what you are saying... about your Grandkids only for me it is my now 5 year old daughter.

A lot of people have lost faith..residents and commercial harvest get tightened up in the name of conservation and first nations harvests get opened up? What once was some shitty boats and pieced together nets in the fraser/harrison is now forklifts 4x4 totes and professional equipment.

My neighbours attitude is kill them all so we dont have to fight over them anymore...as I see hunting opportunity taken away, even as far north as Atlin where there is zero conservation concern and a town of 400 people that would bennift from some out of town money I am on my way to givving up ...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA