Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    New thought of the day........ something I eluded to earlier.....

hatchery heads have been sent to DFO forever.... Sooke has a good deal of hatchery fish that get caught..... almost 100% come from the good old USA.... if they are trying to save the Fraser Chinook... these are not those fish.
    and correct me if I'm wrong, but hatcheries have all but stopped clipping fish in most systems.... Why cant places like this keep hatchery fish? Fish they know are not from this system... or country
    Hatchery fish are bought and payed for by someones tax dollars and are preferably not the fish we want spawning over the true wild ones (if any). IMO a clipped fish should have been aloud. Not all hatchery fish are clipped. The percentage often depends on how many volunteers are willing to give up a fishing/hunting weekend to clip smolts.

Arrow Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Until the new restrictions are publicly announced (expected any moment) last year's regulations apply. So have at her if you are so inclined. Caveat here is you BETTER be right up to the second staying on top of new regulations releases!!

"I'm disappointed that successive years of bad decisions have led us to this point."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/fraser-chinook-fishing-restrictions-1.5103054

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Arrow Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Better Maps in this horsepucky department announcement:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/m...innat-eng.html

And this link provides full descriptions of all the management areas:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...age-3.html#h-7

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thumbs down Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

In discussions with both Fisheries critics yesterday, it is quite obvious there will be no turning back from this.
    At least this year, and likely for five.
    I am uncertain what, if anything the Conservatives would do to lighten the impacts, but I have asked, and will post if / when I get a response.

Whole thing is a travesty.
    Already (as in NOW) DFO is "letting" some Fraser Bands commence with a week's effort directed on early run (threatened) springs.
    That sector is by far the most responsible for the downward spirals of most spring populations.
    Area G (me) has conclusively shown that our impact in May is less than ONE percent Canadian origin, but we get yanked.
    Many of the recreational fisheries can indicate the same, but they get yanked.
    The FN's are told they will have to wait until July 15, but then they get targeted openings.

And while this whole scenario is being developed, DFO quietly sneaks in a new branch, complete with RDG, support staff and funding.
    Title of this new entity?
    Reconciliation & Partnerships Branch.
    I kid you not:

Via Email:

In direct response to Budget 2019 commitments to support our capacity to work with Indigenous groups and advance reconciliation, I am reaching out to you to share some news about planned organizational changes that we are making at Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Region, to help position us to build on our established relationships with Indigenous communities and organizations across the Region.

I am pleased to share with you that we are moving forward to create a new team in Pacific Region dedicated to work across our diverse departmental branches to advance reconciliation. The name of this new team -- Reconciliation and Partnerships (R&P) Branch -- reflects the outcomes we want to achieve. My hope is that R&P will provide the Region with strategic support as we continue our work of strengthening our relationships and translating the Government’s high-level reconciliation priorities into specific, concrete and coordinated actions in our day-to-day work.

“Partnerships” in the branch title name highlights the need not only to create partnerships with Indigenous communities to achieve our reconciliation objectives but also to work closely with our industry and recreational partners to ensure that these objectives are realized. Achieving reconciliation will require strong relationships between the Department and industry, governmental and non-governmental organizations and other bodies interested in resource management, all of whom play a role at helping to realize reconciliation.

In the upcoming months, our new Regional Director of R&P, David Didluck, will be seeking opportunities to meet sector advisory and management groups to discuss his work. Rest assured that your key DFO program contacts will not change. I look forward to building on our relationship through further engagement to advance reconciliation and partnerships through fisheries and aquatic management.

Rebecca Reid
    Regional Director General
    Pacific Region

Life, as I knew it, is over.

Nog

Guess he got to Know me

lets just build a race war........

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    lets just build a race war........
    You dont need to "build a race war" its being put together for our enjoyment.

IronNoggin
    I feel your pain, I dont know much about the fish, but I know about ungulates, and the same thing is happening there, almost exactly near as I can tell.
    I am baffled that with our low inventory, we still have leh for antlerless Mule deer, seems like there is nobody steering the ship with any thought of rebuilding any stock, wtf?

...the commercial market is supplied by fish farms ,so apart from the recreational fishermen, who cares? Not only does the west have no voting clout,whatever we do have is greatly diminished by our dwindling numbers....as my fishing guide of 20 years who sold his boat and moved away said ‘it’s over,just like the east coast cod fishery’ ...and even if we did begin a massive enhancement program RiGHT NOW ,it would be at least five years to see ANY results,and at 72,I’ve just plain run out of time....why did it take ‘starving orcas’ to force the DFO to recognise we had a problem that was well known in the local fishing community?....the budget is $850,000 for each and every starving resident orca...how much was allocated to resident fishermen who went home empty handed?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-18-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Time for a real Priminister with a big set of balls to get this country back in order. Maybe Trump could move to Canada.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    Time for a real Priminister with a big set of balls to get this country back in order. Maybe Trump could move to Canada.
    Yeah. Trump's an expert on fisheries with his big brain. The biggest! He ate a fillet-o-fish once.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Yeah. Trump's an expert on fisheries with his big brain. The biggest! He ate a fillet-o-fish once.
    Probably do a better job than your JT is doing right now.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.