Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Draconian Fisheries Closures

Re: Draconian Fisheries Closures

I volunteered for years on the board of a well known rec fishing org in BC. I gave it up when we started to default to capitulation to that user group. Nothing got done and everything hinged on the views of that user group and how we could "work with them". Well working with them didnt improve anything for the recreational angler, but sure as you-know-what didnt do anything to impinge on the free-for-all by that user group. It was wheel spinning around at its finest. So yes I have a LOT of experience in this.

Again, it doesnt take away from the total lack of effort by DFO to manage, enhance, and enforce. However, its the elephant in the room.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    I volunteered for years on the board of a well known rec fishing org in BC. I gave it up when we started to default to capitulation to that user group. Nothing got done and everything hinged on the views of that user group and how we could "work with them". Well working with them didnt improve anything for the recreational angler, but sure as you-know-what didnt do anything to impinge on the free-for-all by that user group. It was wheel spinning around at its finest. So yes I have a LOT of experience in this.

Again, it doesnt take away from the total lack of effort by DFO to manage, enhance, and enforce. However, its the elephant in the room.
    I'm not doubting you at all. Nore your background. In this world of internet I could either try to punch holes in what you just said or take you for your word.... too few people take others for their word...
    I have zero doubt that everything these days bows to FN. No I do not agree with that, Trust me.... I just don't think now is the time to battle it out with them. I think they need fish as much as we all do, and if we all worked at saving the fish instead of worrying about who gets them we would be further ahead.....

Sure this is a near impossible task, All these sectors working together.... To me, the bottom line is Fish..... we are on a collision course... Indians get none, Commies get none... Sport yacks get none.... who gives if the indians get the last fish.
    if its the last fish its done. We can all go on about restricting FN Fisheries, but you need to look at the piles of fish everyone takes.... And that is not going to do a damned thing for the fish... everyone knows regulation does not make fish.
    I am by no means defending Natives... I am at heart a one rule one people advocate.... I just think we are past that for now. So ya, Weatherby man,,, I understand what your saying... I have stories myself..

I hear you and understand your position and for sure dont argue that the root of the issues is DFO inaction and mismanagement. I just got tired of trying to work in that environment as it was always one-sided winning.

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

At least you did work in it.....

I tried on some level,,,,and have thought about going back into it but the frustrations really can be unhealthy.

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Early springs start running in March in the fraser
    That’s what I thought it might’ve been, I haven’t fished in the spring for a while, thought it was still a bit later in to the spring.

That’s why ‘spring’ salmon are called ‘springs’...on the subject of declining stocks, when I was a kid,everybody fished Brentwood...that’s another fishery thats gone.Bucktailing for Blueback, big coho,it’s all gone now.Why?How come?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 04-17-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Can someone show me an official fisheries notice on the closure? Not a link to a news story, but a link to an actual notice from Fisheries and Oceans. I've searched and can't find it. If there is not one issued by DFO by this weekend I think I'll be out there fishing.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because you agree with it"
    -Abraham Lincoln

New thought of the day........ something I eluded to earlier.....

hatchery heads have been sent to DFO forever.... Sooke has a good deal of hatchery fish that get caught..... almost 100% come from the good old USA.... if they are trying to save the Fraser Chinook... these are not those fish.
    and correct me if I'm wrong, but hatcheries have all but stopped clipping fish in most systems.... Why cant places like this keep hatchery fish? Fish they know are not from this system... or country

Quote Originally Posted by kolofardos View Post
    Can someone show me an official fisheries notice on the closure? Not a link to a news story, but a link to an actual notice from Fisheries and Oceans. I've searched and can't find it. If there is not one issued by DFO by this weekend I think I'll be out there fishing.
    As of 0800 this morning, April 18. it is not on their website nor was there anything posted at the local boat launch. (Esq. Anglers).