Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Kootney elk

Re: Kootney elk

It's all a joke. Ungulate numbers in the toilet, fish numbers in the toilet, the green movement is upon us. The days of real men controlling the area and animal numbers through hunting and trapping is over. It's about making money, getting votes and sucking the corporate c*ck. Get used to it. When u have people wearing lululemon making decisions what do we expect. Get someone with some fleece making calls.
    The revolution is well on its way.

^^^this.....

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    You don't think many were interested in hunting the WK? Most of the LEH hunts prior to the GOS opening were once in a lifetime draws.
    People hunting the WK had nothing to do with the status of the EK and everything to do with the new opportunity. It's a heck of a lot closer for folks from the LM and Okanagan.
    I know the WK hunts were on some folks radar "always".

What I meant (didn't explain it well), is that there was a time when I would be up hunting elk in the EK, where the majority of hunters (atleast half) were from "outside the EK" (from LM to Vernon).
    But now, I rarely run into anybody up there that is not a local EK Resident.

Because it is so bad, many of the longtime EK elk hunters who aren't local have either headed up to the Peace, or, "did take a poke at the WK" hunts once GOS opened.

Of course any LEH is going to provide game that may grow to a fuller maturity, thus a chance to take a large antlered bull.
    BUT, are we hunting for trophy in this province? or for a successful hunt with meat?
    (Right now we are not doing either!!??)

What good is it, if the province becomes LEH, and 90% of us get to sit home?
    I much rather harvest a smaller bull (antler wise) than wait til I get drawn for a once in a lifetime.
    (Sure, we could have the odd MU on an LEH, but not the entire Region, imo)

But first, we need to push the ministry that 12,000 head in the EK is BS!
    If that is the case, the Peace and WK will get hit harder than even in the past.
    People want to hunt, and want a chance of success.
    The EK is no longer offering that.
    And we have the Ministry and Private Sectors to blame for it this time around.
    Not hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by canucks6 View Post
    It's all a joke. Ungulate numbers in the toilet, fish numbers in the toilet, the green movement is upon us. The days of real men controlling the area and animal numbers through hunting and trapping is over. It's about making money, getting votes and sucking the corporate c*ck. Get used to it. When u have people wearing lululemon making decisions what do we expect. Get someone with some fleece making calls.
    The revolution is well on its way.
    Yup^^^^
    In a nutshell, that is whats happened.
    Government is not working for and with hunters.
    They are working for everyone else, and that's why they only want a low head count of elk in the future
    compared to the past.
    So yes, you are bang on

Don’t forget it was not too long ago hunters were pushing for max opportunity preaching they have no impact. Look at the backlash from hunters when opportunity is taken away.

Hunters were getting the opportunity they were asking for

No hunters were asking for the ministry to manage a resource responsibly

Hunter opportunity cost hunters there opportunities...... what we see here today is a direct result from liberal seasons. The changes in populations lines up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    Hunter opportunity cost hunters there opportunities...... what we see here today is a direct result from liberal seasons. The changes in populations lines up perfectly.
    How exactly do you drop a population from what one post stated was once 30,000 to 3,000 with a 6 point only season. Are you saying hunting caused this drop all by itself? A 90% drop with the east Kootenays having been a six point bull elk season for decades now? The GOS on cows was a very specific area and time frame targeting agricultural losses and damage. The LEH in 4-06 for example was a minute fragment of the whole region, once again targeting agricultural losses due to resident/nonmigratory herds.

^^^^so Jared, I'm asking seriously not with any spiteful intentions, what do you think caused the decline then?? Because what I'm told is the GOS/LEH authorizations in the trench etc is what led to the rapid declines...what do you think cause the large scale declines then??

Quote Originally Posted by jtred View Post
    How exactly do you drop a population from what one post stated was once 30,000 to 3,000 with a 6 point only season. Are you saying hunting caused this drop all by itself? A 90% drop with the east Kootenays having been a six point bull elk season for decades now? The GOS on cows was a very specific area and time frame targeting agricultural losses and damage. The LEH in 4-06 for example was a minute fragment of the whole region, once again targeting agricultural losses due to resident/nonmigratory herds.
    Nothing to do with the 6 point season, but I will put it in very basic terms. Before massive amounts of leh cow permits, and gos cow permits, youth and senior spike and cow permits there was a ton of elk in the EK, now not so much.