Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kootney elk

Re: Kootney elk

KootenayKid,

Your comments are "extremely disrespectful", imo.
    There are many hunters, local EK and elsewhere, who know how to hunt elk.

Yes, you seem like an avid elk hunter.
    You are a local, have the time to go out and hunt in a matter of minutes from your own (if you want).
    And you have taken advantage of that (good on you) and use your time wisely.

I know what you mean about some hunters and their hunting tactics.
    The 1st to leave the are I hunt were those in trucks and quads (although much of my area is closed to vehicles anyways for 40 plus years.)
    The next groups to leave were those on horses, AND, they had experience and the ability to hit areas
    no one else really could.
    (they did have lots of success).
    Next were GO's selling out several times (the goat hunt is all that keeps the current GO in business).
    So, that left my group and another that hunt on foot or mtn bike.
    They left, in part because they "packed in" and camped in a particular area that held elk daily.
    I didn't take that approach, but rather cycle in for several hours (in the dark) in a multitude of different
    directions, to hit different areas.

The "TRUTH" is, and the aerial survey "confirms it", that the population is "way down".
    I used to think it was down by 1/2 since 2005.
    But I was worried it was only 1/4 of the 2005 levels.
    IT is probably worse than that!!

There are many "qualified" elk hunters on this site.
    We may not be as young as we once were, but I will take my "knowledge" of the areas over all the hard walking I used to do when I was young.
    Either way, LUCK is always a part of hunting.
    But, elk #'s are down, big time.
    And many with good elk hunting ability are seeing that as well.

Hopefully your area doesn't get "kicked" like many others.
    But, I give the locals credit.
    The other locals may figure out where your "honey hole" is.
    And when they do, just wait and see how bad it can get.

The best thing:
    Hope that the Ministry gets their act together, and works with hunters to have a "huntable population"
    in the EK.
    (Not just the "minimal" that they are wanting to only achieve).

I can promise you one thing, time will catch up to you as well.
    It always does!

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenaykid85 View Post
    little long winded there bugle m in .. sure the goverment puts the regulations and tags in place but they have tooooooo... smoking ciggerettes is legal but should you personally smoke every single one you can?? you cant sit here type away and blame them. you come over here and kill the elk.. do you come over here and kill the predators to compensate? people are easy to blame the powers at hand but they are to dumb to realize its there own common sense thats will catch up to them in the end.
    Hate to tell you kid it’s not that simple if it was we would not need hunting regs at all. Another big issue is in BC a large portion of hunters are like gypsy’s moving around the prov so they are not in touch with the true state of populations

Add in how much it’s been preached trust our management, hunters have no impact ( read highcountry BCs post), and the large portion of hunters that just make sure they are legal.

You do make some valid points that would be great in a perfect world but you need to look at the reality of the big picture that there needs to be hunter management as well because most don’t have in depth knowledge of the populations they hunt

98% Of people posting on here or that come over to the kootenays from the coast/interior are lazy incompetent hunters. You come over here towing your trailers and quads, drive around shooting anything that is legal. Go home log on here rub your hands together and then start complaining about population numbers and predators..... asking for new areas to hunt. Its hilarious.
    I am honestly glad the ungulate poplation is at a low makes it a tad harder for me, makes me go a little deeper. See some new country some new animals, the best part will be not having to see the crowds anymore!!. If your literally just coming over here to animals for "meat" when you know there is a problem in our wildlife managemt, then you are no worse then the people trying to stop hunting. If you have the money to buy the stuff for "fancy hunting" then you have the money to support the cattle industry.
    You shouldnt be asking "hey where are the rest of the animals that havent been shot or eaten or hit by cars and trains living so i can finish them off"?? you should be starting threads like... " What can we do to help the situation over there".
    Ignorant post. BC residents can hunt anywhere they want within the rules of the regs. As long as its legal, who are you to presume lazy & incompetent? Its like saying you are inbred since your from an area outside the LM. You have valid points but make it so no one hears them through the stupidity.

This elk problem is not just the EK it is just as bad in WK and is a whole region 4 issue, I hunt both sides of region 4 and to be honest the EK is in better shape then the WK right now in my opinion. I blame it on wolves. Every where we hunted in the past 3 seasons we are running into dead elk and howling wolves. We may have liberal elk season's now but wolves hunt for 365 days a year and dont follow point restrictions and dont tag out either. If we don't get the wolves under control this conversation will be mute because there won't be any elk left to hunt in region 4. How we deal with the wolves opens up a whole can of worms but we need to toughen up and make it happen before its to late.

These same elk number declines are happening in national parks were there are not FN's hunting, not land owner tags, not cow seasons etc etc etc. The problem is wolves!

98% Of people posting on here or that come over to the kootenays from the coast/interior are lazy incompetent hunters. You come over here towing your trailers and quads, drive around shooting anything that is legal. Go home log on here rub your hands together and then start complaining about population numbers and predators..... asking for new areas to hunt. Its hilarious.
    I am honestly glad the ungulate poplation is at a low makes it a tad harder for me, makes me go a little deeper. See some new country some new animals, the best part will be not having to see the crowds anymore!!. If your literally just coming over here to animals for "meat" when you know there is a problem in our wildlife managemt, then you are no worse then the people trying to stop hunting. If you have the money to buy the stuff for "fancy hunting" then you have the money to support the cattle industry.
    You shouldnt be asking "hey where are the rest of the animals that havent been shot or eaten or hit by cars and trains living so i can finish them off"?? you should be starting threads like... " What can we do to help the situation over there".

its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry99 View Post
    This elk problem is not just the EK it is just as bad in WK and is a whole region 4 issue, I hunt both sides of region 4 and to be honest the EK is in better shape then the WK right now in my opinion. I blame it on wolves. Every where we hunted in the past 3 seasons we are running into dead elk and howling wolves. We may have liberal elk season's now but wolves hunt for 365 days a year and dont follow point restrictions and dont tag out either. If we don't get the wolves under control this conversation will be mute because there won't be any elk left to hunt in region 4. How we deal with the wolves opens up a whole can of worms but we need to toughen up and make it happen before its to late.

These same elk number declines are happening in national parks were there are not FN's hunting, not land owner tags, not cow seasons etc etc etc. The problem is wolves!
    ^^^^Yup. KNP was one of the worst parks to see declines.
    So much so, that for the first time ever, they had a Fire in the Park to help bring back wildlife.
    Sadly, they still haven't returned.
    Need them to have them migrate back in.
    And yes, no hunting
    Prime example of crappy habitat and Preds.

Imagine if we had a province where the:
    EK had 25,000
    The WK 10,000- 15,000
    The Peace 35,000
    R8 with 8,000
    AND R2 with 15,000.

That sure would spread out hunters and over activity in areas....wouldn't it???
    (never happen though)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    EK had 25,000
    The WK 10,000- 15,000
    The Peace 35,000
    R8 with 8,000
    AND R2 with 15,000.

That sure would spread out hunters and over activity in areas....wouldn't it???p
    (never happen though)

Dont forget 10,000 in region 1 and get a GOS rather than all LEH.

I just don’t understand why as hunters we don’t all work together rather than against each other, no matter where we live. We are our own worst enemies... (never happen though either it seems)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    EK had 25,000
    The WK 10,000- 15,000
    The Peace 35,000
    R8 with 8,000
    AND R2 with 15,000.

That sure would spread out hunters and over activity in areas....wouldn't it???
    (never happen though)
    This should be a real target and we hunters need to pressure gov to make this happen. Right now Gov is making decisions and doesn’t even treat us as stakeholders in wildlife management

I’m not a scientist but I personally dislike all the cow and doe seasons within the province. Why take away the future of the population and some people will say that they are old does or cows that don’t breed anymore but it still a animal that a predator might eat and if they ate a old girl that might save a young breeding female. Again not a scientist and not looking to ruffle feathers just my opinion.
    Last edited by jac; 04-22-2019 at 08:09 PM.