Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Kootney elk

Re: Kootney elk

^^^^definitely concerning....maybe we should get a petition going to try and stop the forestry companies from using that spray??? We could also put it out more on mainstream media, to attempt to pressure them to stop using it even further...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^definitely concerning....maybe we should get a petition going to try and stop the forestry companies from using that spray??? We could also put it out more on mainstream media, to attempt to pressure them to stop using it even further...
    Spraying is a hot topic and being considered as a factor on declining ungulate species (hot topic with moose) in BC and regions outside of B.C.

do some research and you could find support beyond just the hunting community on this one. As much as I don’t trust the weasel Weaver has a bone to pick with spraying in BC

Predator/Wolf culling, Sure isn't going to make it worse!

But, there might be other issues causing it as well.
    The original GO that had the area I go complained that there wasn't enough snowfall, thus no slides happening and thus, no fresh feed in the scree slopes, where many of the elk used to be in the 60's and 70's. (when you could see 30 or so at a time)
    That GO sold, and said the valleys in the back were dead.(late 90's, bad winter)
    The next GO who bought it, only lasted a few seasons, and basically said the same thing....dead in the back!
    The latest GO lucked out and had a fire, and the benefits of no more cow leh.
    (Early 2000's when things were getting better).
    But again, he was saying it was pretty dead in the back.
    I asked about the fire, and he said it burnt too hot, so it sucks.
    And saying that there was no feed, due to lack of snow and fresh scree slopes (like the original GO)
    But, around that time, a ton of logging came in, and cut out everything, everywhere due to beetle.
    Now, the GO says there still is no elk, and yet he would question anyone who would say there is "no feed" in the back country, because theres tons now.
    (Just no bedding areas!)

The best time was when the forestry companies came in and did some spot/selective logging, trying to target beetle killed trees (atleast I think that's what they were doing???)
    BUT, that's when it was the best!
    WT and elk loved it that way!

I personally do not believe the wolves are a problem.. been hunting in the EK for close to 30 years, seen 2 wolves..

Mismanaging seasons has more of an impact.. my opinion
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I personally do not believe the wolves are a problem.. been hunting in the EK for close to 30 years, seen 2 wolves..

For the most part I believe you know what you are talking about .... in this case ... wrong wrong and wrong ! Although I do believe you haven't seen many wolves , it doesn't mean they aren't there !

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    For the most part I believe you know what you are talking about .... in this case ... wrong wrong and wrong ! Although I do believe you haven't seen many wolves , it doesn't mean they aren't there !
    I'm in the middle of that. I agree wolves are a problem. But not in general, just the overabundance that is helping cause an imbalance in ungulates. Wolves belong on the landscape at a managed level.

I'll have to agree with Rock on this, allowing 1000's of cow draws in the 90's sure impacted the herds! K

Pretty sure humans are far more the problem then wolves The logging roads alone give predators a real advantage.
    logging, farming, growing population all not good and I’m in the agriculture business so I’m no better!!

My EK experience has been different then yours... I had 4 sightings one winter, 15 wolves in total. Seen a lot more tracks... hard to hide tracks in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    I'll have to agree with Rock on this, allowing 1000's of cow draws in the 90's sure impacted the herds! K
    Yes, it did!
    BUT, they got rid of most of that for a long time now (unless you consider zone x under 1100m)

AND, it appeared all was working.
    I and my partners were finally really starting to see some cows.
    Something I never reall saw in the 90's to be honest.
    We were just bugling in bulls and cow calling and I think they came cause they were having a hard time
    finding cows.

This whole problem re-appeared to get bad again around 2008, for us.

Having said that though, the GO wasn't feeling things were that great in the back.
    We hunted the "Transistion Zone" as we called it.

But by then, Logging was just finishing off in the back.
    And they took out lots of timber, from rock face to rock face (alpine to alpine almost)

So yes, way more wolf scat...at times, but not always.
    Way more GBear and Cougars in general (where we never saw them at all back then)
    And a hell of a lot of logging.
    Windfall and Washouts.

All of that, pretty much in the mid 2000's! where I was.

Maybe the elk not in the back country is due to the 90's problem, and maybe if things had kept improving,
    maybe we would have filled up the back country again.

BUT, why did the gains in the early 2000's due to the reg changes in 98 (?) "cause another COLLAPSE"???

That's the question?
    (and zone x came on around the same time, for a double whammy, in my mind.)
    I am not sure what has caused this.
    All I am saying is, this is what was happening "physically" around the time when it was getting better and
    than got worse than ever.