Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

Re: Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

I have the KUIU super down jacket. the zipper stopped doing it's job, contacted there canadian contact, he sent me the postal papers, and low and behold, new jacket in my mailing box, got to like that service and warrenty, my jacket was a bit used, lots of nicks and lost down, so now I get to do this all over now, get company.

I loved my Chamberlain down jacket. I would highly recommend it to anyone. It’s definitely on the larger side, but will keep you warm in some pretty terrible situations. If you were looking for something a tad lighter, First Lite has just announced the launch of their new brooks puffy. Same 800 fill goose down as the chamberlain, just in a lower weight. I’ll be grabbing one when they are for purchase this summer
    Last edited by DStewart; 04-15-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Bought a Chamberlain on their 2018 Pre-Boxing Day sale, very well designed and built... no delicate zipper either. Lengthy tail end and excellent attached hood. Warm is an understatement.

I absolutely love my Sitka Kelvin, Ive worn this in many -15 to -20 days in the field and it has been a life saver for me and if you sweat or get it damp for rain it dries really quick picked up the vest to so can have more options as your hiking up mountains. Mine has to be 5 years old now and well over a hundred days in the field, not an issue.
    A bad day in the bush beats just about anything...

I went the other way and looked at outdoor clothing for outdoors folks like us and settled on two great jackets

Both work well for what you are looking for.

The first is a RAB Microlight Alpine Jacket. This jacket was in my pack for a few years before I replaced it and it is now my every day cool-cold weather jacket. Light weight, tough, water resistant and fits better than my Sitka or the KUIU I tried on. 5 years and still going strong.

https://rab.equipment/uk/mens/insula...ne-jacket-5571

The other one that I really like is the OR Illuminate Hoody. Built for outdoor use by people who make great gear. Fits great, lightweight, tough and packs down really well.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/en/mens/mens-jackets-vests/mens-down-jackets/mens-illuminate-down-hoody/p/2680871331009

They also make a pullover that I want to try

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/ca/en/mens-baja-down-pullover/p/2680891341007

Good luck in your choice!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I have two jackets and two vests, and the pants. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Wearing a jacket as I type this, I don't want to take it off it feels too good
    Are you sponsored by First lite? Lol

Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

Any more thoughts on this guys ? It’s definitely the right time of year for it now.
    just ordered. Kuiu super down pro top and bottom in their sale, camo.. but now I’m wanting a solid colour everyday winter jacket from one of these companies, I think the kuiu will likely be too fragile for that...

lots of people suggest the first lite, would that be good for winter snow shoeing, ice fishing, hunting etc ? I assume so but first hand experiences is much better, or is it also going to be too warm for anything active ??

I wear my Uncompaghre jackets everywhere. Pants are too hot to wear when walking, but great to zip on when sitting
    Last edited by todbartell; 11-20-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I wear my Uncompaghre jackets everywhere. Pants are too hot to wear when walking, but great to zip on when sitting
    x2. Best jacket I’ve ever owned.