Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

Re: Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

I'm thoroughly impressed with my uncle padre so far...shot an outdoor 3D with just that and a 200 weight merino a couple weeks ago, was about 2 degrees and had some hail, rain and a bit of wind but I was nice and cozy the whole time. For stationary glassing I don't think you can go wrong with the lost park parka, my buddy was in -26 with it last week with just a 250 weight merino underneath and said he was nice and cozy, it's a bit heavy and definitely wouldn't be considered an active insulation piece but the thing will keep you warm.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

hey check out this link over view on lost park parka and kuiu super down insulation
    kuiu super down pro - kifaru lost park parka -kuiu ultra
    https://youtu.be/sYfDCmumtF8

want to bring this thread alive again. My needs for information is a balance of product and usage.

1) I like the idea of down (light, packable) but I don't know if I'll be packing it with me throughout the season and I feel that cleaning it could be a bit of a nightmare compared to synthetic.
    2) The versatility of synthetic in different weather conditions makes it more appealing, but I know I am giving up warmth to weight. So I am wondering if I really need the warmth in Sept or Early Oct when I am hunting in the West Koots? I have a goat tag so I have found that I am getting cold when glassing. Just buying based on a goat LEH doesn't make sense because I think I'd want more versatility for the hunt.

Talking/typing through this, I think I need a synthetic that is warmer than the average synthetic puffy that I can throw over my softshell when I am glassing and I don't have to worry about variable weather. If I can get with a somewhat tougher exterior than I should have a pretty versatile piece of clothing.

Has anyone had down and then went synthetic and instantly regretted it?

It would seem the Kuiu Kenai, Sitka Kelvin active and the First Light Stupidname are the top picks from the hunting brands.
    Arcteryx Atom AR, and then Rab, Outdoor Research, Marmot, Mtn Hardwear and the other outdoor brands will have good options too.

I have a new w/tags Kelvin Lite Hoody available, Large size
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I have used the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody 17oz (synthetic puffy) for four years now and I really like it, does it’s job when I stop and sit after hiking, I see now they make the Hybrid puffy or Kelvin Lite WS 32oz Primaloft 30%/Down 70% hoody, should be a bit warmer than mine but twice the weight.
    The all down Kelvin Hoody is also 17oz
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    want to bring this thread alive again. My needs for information is a balance of product and usage.

1) I like the idea of down (light, packable) but I don't know if I'll be packing it with me throughout the season and I feel that cleaning it could be a bit of a nightmare compared to synthetic.
    2) The versatility of synthetic in different weather conditions makes it more appealing, but I know I am giving up warmth to weight. So I am wondering if I really need the warmth in Sept or Early Oct when I am hunting in the West Koots? I have a goat tag so I have found that I am getting cold when glassing. Just buying based on a goat LEH doesn't make sense because I think I'd want more versatility for the hunt.

Talking/typing through this, I think I need a synthetic that is warmer than the average synthetic puffy that I can throw over my softshell when I am glassing and I don't have to worry about variable weather. If I can get with a somewhat tougher exterior than I should have a pretty versatile piece of clothing.

Has anyone had down and then went synthetic and instantly regretted it?

It would seem the Kuiu Kenai, Sitka Kelvin active and the First Light Stupidname are the top picks from the hunting brands.
    Arcteryx Atom AR, and then Rab, Outdoor Research, Marmot, Mtn Hardwear and the other outdoor brands will have good options too.
    Personally own the Kuiu Super Down Pro and its in my pack for all my trips. The weight doesnt make sense to leave it out. After a long hike when youre getting into elevation, it isnt un common to sweat quite abit to only hit the top of the mountain where the wind tends to howl pretty good, that jacket cuts the wind so well, it shocked me. Please theres nothing worse than a soaking base layer cooling off in the wind, its hard to warm up when that happens.

In terms of versatility in weather conditions, I assume you're referring to down getting wet? I can personally say this treated down in the SD Pro, has not once let me down. On a coastal February hunt, that jacket was on 80% of the time, with all different types of weather. I also slept in the jacket(all my base layers were wet from sweat and on 3' of snow plus heavy condensation on the inside of the 4 season tent, not only had I almost completely dried out over night, but the jacket had lost almost no loft(other than the side I slept on).

The ONLY downside to the jacket, and I don't think its a downside, it just is what it is. You cant move much in it, you heat up way to quick. Moving short distances(50-100yards) is fine, but if you're throwing the pack on or covering any sort of distance, I get way to hot.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Arc’teryx cerium LT has the best weight to warm ration. 300 grams and very warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I have used the Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody 17oz (synthetic puffy) for four years now and I really like it, does it’s job when I stop and sit after hiking, I see now they make the Hybrid puffy or Kelvin Lite WS 32oz Primaloft 30%/Down 70% hoody, should be a bit warmer than mine but twice the weight.
    The all down Kelvin Hoody is also 17oz
    I have had the same experience with the Kelvin Lite Hoody. Great piece of gear.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Thanks everyone.

Just tried on a arcteryx proton Lt and it felt nice. Definitely warm and synthetic.

I have concerns about washing down. Probably wouldnt have to wash too often though...

The cerium Lt looks like a great option but I'm not sure if I want down and what comes with it in regards to up keep.

I also picked up the Arcteryx Cerium LT with hood while on route to a week long hunt and realized I forgot my old beat up Patagonia down sweater. I'm very pleased with it, very light weight and warm. So glad I got the hood now too.

For me the down layer only comes out when I'm not moving or around camp.
    Otherwise it's base layer + fleece + hard shell in any combination which covers pretty much all temps & weather when moving.
    Throw in the the down layer and you're seriously cooking.
    I was using soft shells but recently went back to fleece and so far liking how it breathes, is quiet and light. Does ok in light precip.
    Last edited by Mark-R; 11-06-2020 at 01:28 AM.