Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

I've stopped buying anything Ice breaker. I've never had anything of theirs go for more than a season unharmed. Socks rip in half, hunderwear falls apart, little snags turn into big holes in shirts etc. I've also found that they don't honour their warranty very well. Too much money for that kind of quality assurance.

I'm with pemby on the icebreaker stuff. I find there product to be extremely overpriced and of poor quality. I have a whack of there socks, and they have honored the lifetime warranty of those but all my base layer stuff is coming apart at the seams and little snags turn to big holes. I'll be looking at different merino base layers when I inevitably have to replace my Icebreaker stuff.

Really eh, I run their long sleeves religiously and probably hunt 150+ days a year.
    I’ve only had to return two pairs of socks (life time warranty) twice and that’s over an 8 year period and both were replaced (Valhalla’s over the counter) mind you I buy a pair or two every year so they get cycled pretty good. I also buy at Boxing Day when they have their best sale.
    75% of those days are hound hunting so very often 5-10km on foot of harder fast paced going than any other form of hunting.
    Their longjohns are shit and get holes far too quickly.
    This jacket has made it through a 20+ cat tree winter and hasn’t failed or torn.
    Anyways, a solid review for the original poster.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Had the Kuiu Superdown on yesterday and it worked great. Cut the wind surprisingly well. Not sure about any mountain top wind, but the moderate wind at around zero Celsius was fine. Can't speak to the other brands.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Great stuff, guys. The Uncompahgre is not in the same category as my original listed four as far as sheer insulation weight goes but I'm astounded by all the mentions that I think I'm going to get one anyways, in addition to a dedicated cold weather full-size puffy, like the Chamberlin or Kelvin Down WS. I wear my Arcteryx Atom AR everyday and love it and maybe they're in the same category.

Keep any reviews and comparisons coming. Let's stay on track.
    -Tom

I'm pretty fat so maybe that why I don't get cold in my FL Uncompahgre
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Laxputs View Post
    Great stuff, guys. The Uncompahgre is not in the same category as my original listed four as far as sheer insulation weight goes but I'm astounded by all the mentions that I think I'm going to get one anyways, in addition to a dedicated cold weather full-size puffy, like the Chamberlin or Kelvin Down WS. I wear my Arcteryx Atom AR everyday and love it and maybe they're in the same category.

Keep any reviews and comparisons coming. Let's stay on track.
    -Tom
    Im curious about what temps you are looking to combat? My uncompahdre has seen many double digit negative days.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I'm pretty fat so maybe that why I don't get cold in my FL Uncompahgre
    I am a bean pole and don’t get cold in er. Both ends of the spectrum lol

Rokslide currently has a thread bout this.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...-it-up.125490/

I’m not much on kuiu stuff, nor do I have experience with most puffy’s mentioned. But I do have the kuiu SD jacket, the warmth to weight ratio is very impressive. I personally wouldn’t class it as an outer layer tho, it’s pretty thin material, mine rocks a few chunks of T tape lol.