Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

This topic has been mentioned but worth diving into again with more specificity.

I've been pouring over reviews from every forum and youtube vid I can find. Trying to pick the "best" (warmest, lightest) outer-layer for dry conditions there is. I want it for glassing and mountain hunting in late season Canada, so sub-zero Celsius.

I think a reasonable list is:

Impressive, they're all priced within 30$ of each other.

I own the Brooks Range Jacket. It's the least well known but likely the oldest, and harshly tested. Designed and sold in Alaska and hunted in the coldest environments included Asian sheep hunts. It's very warm, very compressible and light, and surprisingly very durable for the outer material being so thin. They clearly put a lot of thought and it shows with fleece lined pockets and collar, velcro cuffs, and a detachable hood. I bought mine too large (a large) and the only reason I'm thinking of selling is for a medium. But I am curious how the others compare. The nice thing is that these products are worth the money given the warranty they all have--should get a decade of hard use out of it.

They all have water repellent treatment. Some are quieter than others. My general gleaning of the reviews out there is that the Chamberlin may have a small edge.

Please only opinions if you have actually tested one of these jackets or another you think worth mentioning.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Warmest, lightest puffy: Sitka; Brooks Range; First Lite; Kuiu

Firstlite uncompahgre jacket

I've got the Chamberlin, finally bought a puffy to finish off my gear list and I don't know why I waited so long. I used it during that cold snap in January cat hunting and we were on sleds and I was extremely impressed with it and it was bloody cold out.

I think you could add the kifaru lost park parka to the list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Firstlite uncompahgre jacket
    I have two jackets and two vests, and the pants. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Wearing a jacket as I type this, I don't want to take it off it feels too good
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I have two jackets and two vests, and the pants. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. Wearing a jacket as I type this, I don't want to take it off it feels too good

Out of all the mess of clothing I own it’s by far my most used. I’ll be buried in it some day!

I have both the Uncompahgre and Sitka Kelvin down .Uncompaghre best all round jacket wear it all the time ,but the Sitka Kelvin down is way warmer.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Another vote for First Lite Uncompaghre. Better than any kuiu or Sitka I’ve personally tried out. I few ounces heavier than the lightest down puffy but still packs into its own pocket and worth its weight in the warmth it provides without any doubt. Sizing is a bit larger and relaxed fit. I went one size down. Fits perfect!

I have the Sitka Kelvin Down. Great jacket, packs decently small and is very light. Always in my pack. Have had it layerd underneath with a synthetic wool combo and a Kelvin Vest down to -20 and was plenty warm. Have also worn it by itself with a long sleeve shirt glassing, temps around 0 and it was perfect.

I don't think that the uncomphagre is in the same league as the ones listed. Although its a great jacket, i dont think it would compare in warmth as the others. The kifaru lost park parka is also worth checking out - the pull over is warmer than the zip one I found.

Look at icebreakers new one, it’s merino wool filled so if wet still keeps its R value. I bought it and really like it. Packs up to nothing and comes with a stuff sack.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny