Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about headwear

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Let's talk about headwear

I always have a toque in my pocket if I'm in the alpine, otherwise a ball cap. All of my jackets have integral hoods on them, even the light windbreakers - so I'll just throw the hood up if it gets inclement.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I rock a boonie hat and/or a ball hat.
    And what kind of boonie? Standard or a waterproof style like Frogg Toggs?

Outback oilcloth hat, so much function goes into a good hat, this is the best Ive every worn. Keeps rain and snow out of your neck and collar, sun out of your eyes, tilt it back and amplifies sounds. Worn it to -30 and only the tips of my ears were cold. I wear one of mine everyday of the year Id say, only on the days above 20 c is it too warm to wear. I have a work one (smells like gas, 9 years old still great) fishing guiding/hunting (smells like fish, 4 years old) going out one, (clean for the near future 2 years old). They are all the same flexible and soft, very water proof and great looking. Never had a problem in the bush, it keeps all the drops from the trees out of your neck, hoods block too much sound for me. Today picked up a hard, oil cloth, fitted cowboy hat to add to my collection for hunting as it will make a good shooting rest as well. Ill never wear a baseball cap or toque hunting ever again.

https://imgur.com/a/JYV1EFk

the hat made by outback, Used to get them at wholesale
    https://www.orvis.com/p/oilcloth-outback-hat/2y49
    Last edited by Firstblood; 04-14-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Hunting? Only a ball cap and a hood if my jacket has it.

Otherwise, black cowboy hat. My favourite rain or snow headwear for sure. Plus, people know who the bad guy is.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

It's pretty well a mixed bag with answers here.. Everyone has their own personal preferences. Looks like I may have to just buy one of everything and see what I like best!

I have tried everything over the years. Now I usually don't wear a hat unless it's cold. Then I use a fleece toque and the hood on my jacket if the precipitation is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alienation View Post
    And what kind of boonie? Standard or a waterproof style like Frogg Toggs?
    Standard camo, water resistant enough to grab a drink of water from a creek/river. Keeps the sun at bay while working the spotting scope. Also keeps snow from falling down your collar

Last edited by warnniklz; 04-15-2019 at 08:59 AM.

TRU-SPEC Boonie. $18.50 on Amazon. Available in many patterns. Keeps the sun out of your eyes and prevents your ears from getting burned.

I had an oil skin ball cap for years and years until it recently fell apart. Usually I rock a ball cap and toque