Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Bear down! I got HIM: A story two years in the making

Re: Bear down! I got HIM: A story two years in the making

Do you have any screechers or bottle rockets or bear bangers

next time bring it out to start lol

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    So I am having second thoughts about the skull (rotting head as it stands now)

I might go back for it. Trouble I moved the scene into the thick stuff.

I remember I did this a few years back. I went back to check the scene and grabbed the skull, but it was left mid May to late June. It was picked clean and chewed up. I had to find the pieces and glue stuff back together. Other than rodent poop it wasn't too nasty.

This time (a week later in April) I imagine it will be peak-rot and I'll have to go in there with a saw and go to town on it.

And it's going to be a bit scary since it's in the thick and I can't see to far around me while I am working... not dry either so I won't be able to hear anything coming. I'll be by myself to boot. Something might be close by guarding it.

Any tips? Make a bunch of noise, fire a few shots? Nose plugs?
    Congrats man! Way to go!

To funny, I was just about to also comment, "you left the skull"?

Glad you came around on that. Polish that baby up and put it some where front and center.

Great hunting story, hopefully you add to it with a ghost tail
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Do you have any screechers or bottle rockets or bear bangers

next time bring it out to start lol
    I wish! I haven't had fire crackers or bottle rockets since I was a teenager.

Now that I'm old I'm always tempted to try to confiscate them from kids on the street.

"What the heck you boys think yer doing out here, hand those things over or yer gonna git it"

I guess I'll go in with a mission impossible theme song in my head, a gun, saw, garbage bag and a "can-do" attitude.

No guarantee I'll be able to recovery it, but figure I'll give it a shot since I am in the area. I'll shout a little bit and fire off a few shots.

If all goes well I got a big pot so I'll skin it out, then let it sim-low next to a campfire to cook up the rot so it doesn't stink as much (no lectures on skull care at this point please LOL)
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-16-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Great story thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I wish! I haven't had fire crackers or bottle rockets since I was a teenager.

Now that I'm old I'm always tempted to try to confiscate them from kids on the street.

"What the heck you boys think yer doing out here, hand those things over or yer gonna git it"

I guess I'll go in with a mission impossible theme song in my head, a gun, saw, garbage bag and a "can-do" attitude.

No guarantee I'll be able to recovery it, but figure I'll give it a shot since I am in the area. I'll shout a little bit and fire off a few shots.

If all goes well I got a big pot so I'll skin it out, then let it sim-low next to a campfire to cook up the rot so it doesn't stink as much (no lectures on skull care at this point please LOL)

You don’t dumby tax teenage kids for firecrackers and booze at Halloween?I thought everyone did this

I would not worry too much throw rocks and listen before heading in you should be good no point wasting ammo

I'm away this w e or I'd offer to help caddis. I think if it was me I'd slowly approach with Rob Zombie playing as loud as my phone could go. Slow and steady with a swagger, bashing and waving saplings as I go. Throw out a few Chuck Norris one liners and you should be golden. And ya go with nose plugs. lol

Its been pretty cold bro, snow line back down to half way up the mountains this end of the valley it might not be too nasty. Hopefully a martin or two and a half dozen ravens have gone to town. I've been in on a few spring bears and checked gut piles a few days later and no sign of big preds on it. There's so much forage springing out I think the chances of another bear coming for it are low. Bring your rifle tho. haha
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I'm away this w e or I'd offer to help caddis. I think if it was me I'd slowly approach with Rob Zombie playing as loud as my phone could go. Slow and steady with a swagger, bashing and waving saplings as I go. Throw out a few Chuck Norris one liners and you should be golden. And ya go with nose plugs. lol

Its been pretty cold bro, snow line back down to half way up the mountains this end of the valley it might not be too nasty. Hopefully a martin or two and a half dozen ravens have gone to town. I've been in on a few spring bears and checked gut piles a few days later and no sign of big preds on it. There's so much forage springing out I think the chances of another bear coming for it are low. Bring your rifle tho. haha
    Thanks Salty. It would be nice to have you there. I know the one thing that will make a bear hesitant is a crowd. Too bad about the timing. Little 150 lb caddisguy solo, smelling like fear and crouched over carcass distracted is somewhere between a snowshoe hare and a turkey on the intimidation scale.

I suspect there will have been other bears on it. That has been the cause in previous years, albeit usually later in May. In 2017 I took a pretty big guy out of that area. I tossed the carcass down a huge hollow stump. I went up a week later and something managed to haul it out and and eat most of it up. Only way I was able to find it was because there was a long trail of intestine to guide me. It was straight and hardened like rope, which tells me it was dragged off within the first couple days. My hope is that it is mostly eaten already and not worth guarding. It could be that, or completely untouched or anything in between.

Still a chance I might talk myself out of it too. The "this is is kind of a dumb idea man. Is it really worth it?" is being pretty persistent.

I'll probably just head out, put myself back in the general area, feel out the vibes and go with my gut.

That's interesting caddis. Ya I guess I should have qualified that island bears is what I was referring to and they are much less mammal eaters than the mainland bruins for sure I wasn't thinking that angle. Be safe and keep in mind there's always next weekend or whatever.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Man, finally got a chance to sit down and read your write up...the story of moby dick came to mind more than once. Super happy that you were finally able to finish that chapter...was going to say I give it until mid May before you go back for the skull, I see you already may have changed your mind though lol...I think you subconsciously do this now to avoid having to hide buckets from caddisgirl and the stink of fresh maceration. From what I gather if you are going to macerate it I wouldn't try to boil the rot off first, just let the bacteria keep working at it in your maceration water, boiling it will kill most of it and probably slow down the process. You get much condensation inside the tarp from that creek trick or did the meat stay pretty dry? Just say the word and I'll bring my son up this weekend, he has a talent for scaring off every bear in the area
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Man the adrenaline rush you must have had waking up to him just rubbing face to face.