Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear down! I got HIM: A story two years in the making

Bear down! I got HIM: A story two years in the making

It happened! I got the bear that charged me and tried to get me while I was sleeping. Just got back to reception and about to hit the highway.

Should have some stories and pics up a little later in the afternoon.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear down! I got HIM: A story two years in the making

WTF...lol...this is gonna be good, cant wait to hear it.

I can bearly wait...
    Pretend hunter.

I want to say that caddisguy is the resident bear expert around here

Nicely done and a week earlier than I thought the first bear would go down

I would be keeping the skull to remember your history lol

Sounds like this should be good story. Congrats on the bear
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

AWESOME! Very happy to hear that and looking forward to the story.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Glad you got him.
    Just started seeing the little bears get active this week.. it's a damn shame I'm going away for the long weekend now I need to get my bear down, I'm falling behind !

Way to go! Now hurry up and post the story!

Here comes the story. I'll have to spread it across multiple posts since it is long and there is some video and pics. I'll post up the full video in a week or two hopefully.

The backstory will be multiple repeat for some. I've probably made mention of it at least a dozen times on here, but I can't not tell it again.

April 2017:

The first time I met this bear, it was the second or third week or April 2017. I was bear hunting and after having my light clothing rained on all day, I decided I would go back and get changed so that I could be dry and comfortable throughout the evening. I was inside the jeep warming up (engine on) and changing when in the mirror I see this brown phase bear dart across the spur road about 3 yards being the vehicle. I jumped out and grabbed the rifle and saw him cruising up in the re-prod. I didn't really have a shot or time to assess the situation. I didn't know if this was going to be a 50 yard deal or a 2km deal, so I went back and turned off the car and started looking for him. I was able to find tracks here and there, but not as fast as he was making them. I called it off.

August 2017: We were camped out practicing bow. I went to go retrieve an arrow from a botched shot. I saw my arrow and shuffled down this embankment that was eroding under my feet. I ended up snapping through some sticks at the bottom. I heard some commotion in the adjacent timber. August, so it's super dry and loud. I knew it was a bear reacting to me and it's reaction wasn't to run. It sounded like it jumped up and took a few steps toward me. I grabbed the arrow and hustled back up the embankment. As I got to the top it sounds like a damn elephant flying through the timber. The bear charges out and stops where I was standing when I grabbed my arrow, huffing and stomping. I have the bear spray out, wind in my face I would have sprayed him then, but decided it was a "if he comes an inch closer" kind of deal. I slowly back out to where we're camped, maybe 50 yards away. My wife is anxiously waiting (with a shotgun I think?) "Are you okay?" ... yep, beer please !

At the time the charge didn't really bother me at all. Understandable. I surprised a bear. Maybe he had a bad day at work. No big deal. I think I might have even "called him in' to begin with. I think the sound of the arrows hitting the bull dog really target carries like a doe stomping. Anyway, crazy hot day, he cruises into the near by cover, I get too close for comfort and make a bunch of noise, he gets cranky

Checked a trailcam nearby either that weekend or one of the surrounding ones and we see him cruising by. Really neat color on him. Somewhat unique with the light brown body and dark brown legs. I actually have a night time video of him somewhere too.... it looks really distinct in black and white. I might dig it up later, but here's a color trailcam video of him

More to come...
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-13-2019 at 08:51 PM.