Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Trekking poles?

Re: Trekking poles?

This may be another consideration, but for backcountry hunting, it's nice to double up on the function of a set of trekking sticks. I made a line of 66" tall trekking sticks that expand to support a rifle, camera or spotting scope while standing. They are made from very light but strong Canadian Ash wood, which is much quieter in the woods, and warmer for holding in the cold. The longer length is great for hiking with a pack and rifle in steep terrain. A single long pole is very handy to get your balance during descent, where you need to drop a couple of feet off rock or hill.

During spot and stalk hunts, expanding the sticks is very quick and less motion than dropping a pack to shoot off. The stability while shooting (standing with the sticks) is comparable to laying prone and shooting off your pack.

Made in BC by hunters. Search for Trek Stable.
    Last edited by Lionhill; 02-18-2020 at 02:15 PM.

I had a pair of trecking poles for pretty much 20 years that have been all over the globe with me. Top handle screws off and has a tripod thread for accessories. Does come in handly at times. Compared to what you get today they are heavy, but darn these things take a beating and I have used them for anything from pitching tarps for shelter, making a splint, anchoring a rope between rocks, to fending off various animals. Snow, ice, rocks, water, saltwater.. these things survived everything.
    For christmas I got a pair of sissy-sticks. Shiny new toy, seem sturdy, crazy light in comparison. I feel like I am cheating on my old sticks but I am going to "play with the younger model for a while". Time will tell.

In any case: Once you get a pair, you will never look back.

Cascade mountain tech carbon fiber are the best bang for your buck. $45on amazon right now. I’ve had them on a few mountain hunts last season without any issues.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E6AD72A0-7C84-4519-9361-ED2803A5599E.jpg  

I picked up a nice set of Carbon Leki off of the last hunt.com for a really good price.

First season comming up with the S&S Archery Carbons. They feel great, looking forward to getting some miles under them.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I know that poles are great, but I associate them with post menopausal women walking the streets of Victoria in groups.
    wow wo wrong website wrong search criteria... hey what ever works.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    kind of the same way I associate islanders with 338s
    hey hey he put the wrong search in..

i will confess i have shot blacktails in the shoulder with a 338.. itvreminds me of body shooting grouse with a 12 gauge.