Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trekking poles?

Re: Trekking poles?

Got mine sorted out.

I always laughed at those using poles. Started using them a few years ago and it definitely takes the stress off your knees when hiking with weight and sturdies you going sidehill.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I know that poles are great, but I associate them with post menopausal women walking the streets of Victoria in groups.

kind of the same way I associate islanders with 338s

Spend the money, I took a fall last year, and bent my CF poles to the point I can't believe they didnt break.

One thing though went to buy a pair of Black Diamonds and trying them out in the store the cam lock exploded....most definitely a manufacturer sefect and black diamond makes good stuff. Test them out like crazy before packing out. Would really suck if they'd broke day 1

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Spend the money, I took a fall last year, and bent my CF poles to the point I can't believe they didnt break.
    You got to be careful not to hit the pole with any hard object and that is the reason why I would not like to rely on them on the long hunting trips.
    They can bent but but they are sensitive most likely on direct hit by any rock, gear or other object with hard surfaces. Aluminum will bent but carbon will crack.
    I experienced this (as someone already mentioned) with couple fishing rods and with very expensive pair of ski poles made in USA.
    Cost me 3x more than aluminum poles and one broke second year from ski falling down on one. Though I could order just middle part (top and bottom separate parts) I did not want to bother and went with aluminum poles later.
    Yuu may use carbon poles for years but one unlucky hit by rock could ruin your trip if you rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    I know that poles are great, but I associate them with post menopausal women walking the streets of Victoria in groups.
    You would know.

I have a couple sets of cheap ones aluminum not carbon fiber. They have worked great and with a heavy load going down hill i would never be without

Got a pair of aluminum hiking poles last year and they work great. I highly recommend them. I’ve used these poles on a mountain elk hunt and just hiking on rocky terrain. They allow me to travel country that would be very difficult for me otherwise. I have arthritic knees and a lack of sensation in my feet (neuropathy from Chemotherapy) that affects my balance. The poles provide stability and take a lot of the load off my knees on the downhill. They also contribute to your upper body strength if you use them when walking for exercise, so they are useful for training prior to your hunt.

Kudos to the HBC members who contributed to the posts last year, this is where I got the information that made me decide to buy my hiking poles. Thanks

Black Diamond works for me interested in checking out these ones from Costco tho .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Haha my post is reborn.
    I went with the Black Diamond Alpine carbon corks and haven't regretted it for one second.
    I've had acl surgery since and am rehabbing hard for my sheep leh.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    Black Diamond works for me interested in checking out these ones from Costco tho .
    I use Black Diamond and my wife uses the ones from Costco. The Costco ones are great for the price and she picked up a second pair for $12.00 during an end of season sale.