Thread: Hunting turkey with a dog

Hunting turkey with a dog

Does anybody do this? I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to bring my dog along for a turkey hunt. I'm picturing the dog and I locating some gobblers and treeing them like a grouse but I have no idea whether this would actually happen or the turkeys would just disappear well in advance of our arrival. Maybe this is a crazy idea, just thinking 'outloud'...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting turkey with a dog

Most serious trainers I know keep their dogs away from turkeys. If wounded they will beat and spur the crap out of a dog possibly ruining it as a bird dog. JMHO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I’ve hunted turkey with my Weimaraner in the fall season. Lots of people do. Use them to bust up the flock, and then you can call them in when they try to rejoin. Not sure I’d use him in the spring, although he will be with me in the Kootenays.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B38C611A-AE07-43B8-B77E-EEB3D6101EE4.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	7376  
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Their defence mechanisms are not like those of grouse which will use their camouflage and sit still hoping to not be seen. Turkeys won’t tree when you bust them, they will fly a short distance and then run like the wind.
    I wouldn’t recommend it for spring hunting.
    Twist and pull.

In my experiences the turkeys can tree or run in all directions in the brush and lose the dog. I have had most tree. In the fall a couple of years ago I had my dog tree a hen which I shot and he retrieved it for me. Even being a good sized lab, he struggled to get it through the brush. I always wanted to shoot one on the wing but that will definitely have to wait till fall. I would agree with Foxton Gundogs that it may not be worth it to risk a dog on a large tom. I have had my own epic tussles with wounded ones. Not sure who fared better on one occasion. lol. In my opinion, it would not be the same experience as hunting them the traditional way but something different for change - certainly not as challenging as calling them in or stalking them. Still want to do it though
    Last edited by Brez; 04-13-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"