Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rain Jacket - Arcteryx vs "True" Hunting Brand

Re: Rain Jacket - Arcteryx vs "True" Hunting Brand

I just purchased a Sitka Cloudburst for a good deal. Haven't had it out in any real tough weather yet but quality looks good. Friend of mine has the Kuiu Yukon suit with no complaints. There is a lot of good gear out there. It comes down to fit and what your using it for. I ended up going with Gortex after years of the HH rubber after getting soaked from the inside out one to many times hiking in the rain. Not sure if the Gortex will be any different because I tend to run hot while hiking Haha.

The days of arcterxy having the best warranty in the business is long gone. There now one of the worst in the industry.

Have a Sitka cloudburst as well ,got it on camofire for $170.00 (thanks pn) best I ever had and I have had many sets of rain gear over the last 45 years....

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Have a Sitka cloudburst as well ,got it on camofire for $170.00 (thanks pn) best I ever had and I have had many sets of rain gear over the last 45 years....
    Good to know. I picked mine up on a cammofire sale aswell but not that cheap! Good deal!

I used an Integral designs eVent rain jacket from 2009-2016. It did not handle wet conditions very well and commonly soaked through on the arms and shoulders. Also use a pair of Westcomb eVent rain pants that have always seemed to soak through easily. The last couple years I’ve been using a Columbia OutDry rain jacket. I find the fit is good, price was good, good reviews, breaths good and so far has not soaked through at all. Last year when we packed a sheep back to our tent, we got caught packing for a few hours in rain and snow. The eVent pants soaked through instantly and the jacket was great with shoulders and arms not soaked through at all while carrying heavy pack. Other times in the rain with the same result. The field test reviews I read stated that they couldn’t get the OutDry jacket to soak through and so far I’m finding the same thing, although I haven’t put the kind of time on it as the field testers do.
    Columbia OutDry might be a good alternative and more affordable than Arcteryx, Kuiu, etc, etc,,,,
    Last edited by mod7rem; 04-11-2019 at 12:13 AM.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Well, I am boxing the jacket now, just got a RMA number. Let's see what they say after having had a look. This all sounds more encouraging than the response I got from customer service. We shall see.

Thanks guys for all the responses so far. Still interested in a comparison to "hunting brands"....
    I have the Sitka gortex rain jacket as well as the Arc`teryx and only difference I see is my Arc`teryx has the Calvin Klein cut ! At least the same size in Sitka fits me !

The best deal in that class of Gortex jacket is the Cabelas brand $200 but so far only seen it in black which I wear for work daily.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I have the Sitka cold front and i love that thing. I got it off camofire for a smoking deal a few years back so I think retail is a bit pricy. 5 years of heavy use out of it so far and it still keeps me dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    ...The best deal in that class of Gortex jacket is the Cabelas brand $200 but so far only seen it in black which I wear for work daily.
    Would the cabelas stuff you mention happen to be the Goretex Paclite Rainy River gear?
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

The life of the product is still up to their discretion. I have an arcteryx jacket that is 14 years old and it was repaired 3 years ago, no problem. It also had failing seam lamination.

However, I dont often wear a waterproof shell, just because I sweat too much as is and the shell would make that so much worse. So in my case 14 years wasnt outside the lifetime of the product.

I would be surprised if they just brushed you off and said it wasnt covered. Their warranty is quite good.

A lot of companies now offer lifetime warranty and its disappointing. It makes you think the product is better than it is and it also kind of dilutes the value of the warranty on some of the higher end brands like Arcteryx.

For example, "outbound" and "McKinley" brands that are sold at Atmosphere have lifetime warranty ..... which would imply to the buyer that their stuff was good. It isnt. Their stuff is all low end garbage and all it really means is they've calculated how many returns/replacements they anticipate to have to send out and whether it still makes them money. It's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Their stuff is all low end garbage and all it really means is they've calculated how many returns/replacements they anticipate to have to send out and whether it still makes them money. It's stupid.
    A lot of people think this is Vortex's buisness model while others swear their optics are just as good as the Big three.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.