Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Re: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Had my jugular ripped open while fighting of a band of wolverines . . . but it got better.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I did the axe thing once, but no where near as bad, though I was also quite lucky. Not really a hunting or fishing story either... just camping. I was using a large dull axe trying to cut small kindling. I lifted up the piece of wood, along with the axe to plop it back down and start a fine cut. Unfortunately the axe bounced instead of penetrating... it bounced right onto the last section of my index finger. Luckily it hit the bone instead of the joint... had it have been the letter, I would have myself a stub. I cringe thinking about it LOL. Lesson !
    Oh geeze that's scary! You definitely got lucky. It's funny how sharper the axe or knife the safer it can actually be...well until you cut yourself Haha

I've hurt my back and cut myself a few times. When I was a kid we were on a 2 week hike and about day 3 I sunk an axe into my shin. No such thing as a sat phone or Inreach back then so we just patched it up and continued on. I stitched up another kid with dental floss and a sewing needles once, too. My brother got giardia on one trip, and we were about 10 days away from civilization and a drug store.

It's amazing the misconceptions people have about the dangers of hunting and shooting. People are always saying to me "wow, you must have some crazy stories of people shooting themselves at the range" and I'm like "the most dangerous part about going to a gun range in Canada is the drive to and from! "
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Old timer me and a buddy shared camp with shot one of his friends one time. He was hunting with a group, they all came across a herd of elk with a couple legal bulls. Apparently they were hunting along either a rail line or they were on a bridge, I’m a little fuzzy on the exact details. Anyways they all setup to shoot on whatever it was, guy had the elk in his scope pulls the trigger, and the guy to the left of him yells out in pain. Turns out he could see the elk in the scope but the muzzle wasn’t clear of whatever they had set up on and the bullet richochet back at his buddy.

Nothing to crazy for me some twists, sprains, busted fingers, and cuts patched with tape and crazy glue. Uncomfortable during the hunt and at times slowed me down a little during the hunt but no big deal

Petros65 Guest

Last year as I was packing my hunting camp up I managed to crush a section of my little finger off while folding up my camp cot. Good friends got me to the hospital quickly - but I now have a minus pinkie which I still get teased about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	7372  

.375 H&H Mag blew up in my face while shooting at a cape buffalo in Zambia.

Already told the story in a previous post several years ago...
    Airlifted to a jungle hospital by helicopter! Could have been lots worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Old timer me and a buddy shared camp with shot one of his friends one time. He was hunting with a group, they all came across a herd of elk with a couple legal bulls. Apparently they were hunting along either a rail line or they were on a bridge, I’m a little fuzzy on the exact details. Anyways they all setup to shoot on whatever it was, guy had the elk in his scope pulls the trigger, and the guy to the left of him yells out in pain. Turns out he could see the elk in the scope but the muzzle wasn’t clear of whatever they had set up on and the bullet richochet back at his buddy.
    Well that's a good lesson. I have seen to many videos of guys shooting the hood of their trucks or stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Petros65 View Post
    Last year as I was packing my hunting camp up I managed to crush a section of my little finger off while folding up my camp cot. Good friends got me to the hospital quickly - but I now have a minus pinkie which I still get teased about.
    Ouch!!!

No real injuries but back in the 80's while hunting alone in the Berlin river area out of Hinton, probably 50 miles from the nearest person. I rolled my Big Red down a 30 foot bank getting tangled up and pinned under it in a swamp area. Luckily I was just able to keep my face above the water level. Took 20 minutes or so to work myself free and roll the bike off me.

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    .375 H&H Mag blew up in my face while shooting at a cape buffalo in Zambia.

Already told the story in a previous post several years ago...
    Airlifted to a jungle hospital by helicopter! Could have been lots worse...
    Ouch, That looks like it needs ice! What was the cause of the rifle failure?