Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Re: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

nothing too crazy but did pile up in a heap a couple years ago on opening day of elk season and partially tore my ACL. Hobbled a couple KM back to the quad and was laid up for a few weeks. Bad timing with a LEH California Bighorn in my pocket!
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Trout fishing with dad, he had a nice one on. Went to jump off the log he was on to the water edge, and tore the quadricep off of his knee cap ( could see it further up his leg). Hell of a thing to watch your father crawl out of the bush screaming to get to the samurai to drive to the nearest cell reception.

A miss diagnose resulting in a mostly dead muscle. A well needed surgery, with a full leg cast for a whole year. As well as being on his death bed with a sever case of pulmonary embolism, from blood clots with his leg that travelled on ward. With two different physiotherapist and many hours spent trying to get mobility again. We have been back on many trout trips, goat and bison and moose hunts.

Not hunting or fishing but out for a day of quad riding, back at the trailer loading the quad which I had done many times and the ramps buckle sending myself and the quad over backwards. Yup broke 8 ribs as the quad landed on me. Neadless to say not fun!

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Ouch, That looks like it needs ice! What was the cause of the rifle failure?
    outfitter claimed I had plugged the barrel. With over 50 years of hunting and shooting experience I disagree. The failure occurred at the breech...
    Did the PH load a wrong caliber round??? Guess we'll never know. Just glad that I did not loose an eye or finger!

Rolled my ankle sheep hunting on some large shale rocks, but liucky I was carrying some tension bands.
    I do take pain killers in my back pack for that "just in case" moment.

Uncle was busting up branches to start a fire (cold as hell) while out hunting, and a big splinter of the branch went flying right into my eye, which stuck itself in the eyeball slightly, but I got lucky.

Smashed the hell out of my knee while still hunting when I stepped on a snow covered rock (I didn't see)
    and fell smack down on another rock and knee, and that was it for that hunt (took me forever to get back to camp)

And once while trying to look for an elk I had hit, on the 2nd day of looking and dead tired, I went down an embankment, lost my footing, and spun and fell, and impaled myself partially on a fallen tree where the branches had broken off.
    Basically "speared" myself, but was lucky into was to long of a branch so it didn't go in "too deep".
    But had it been longer, I might still be stuck on the tree, as I was by myself!

I always wear eye and ear and hand protection when using the chain saw.....always!
    And I always take along a varied assortment of bandages, surgery style, not just band aids.
    And I take along knee supports and tension bandages.

You never know what is going to happen, and safety is always first.
    Remember that.

I had my ring and pinky finger tips crushed off breaking down a fishing lodge at the end of a season. luckily i got picked up close to dark by a plane that heard my calls on the radio in the area. Got dropped off in Port hardy and called a cab to take me to the hospital. No doctor on duty there so the nurse cleaned me up as best she could and kicked me out. Stayed at the airport inn until the next day and flew to Vancouver where it took another day and a bit to get into surgery. Coming out of surgery was worse then the initial injury as far as pain goes. I dont want to feel that kind of pain ever again. Took a few surgeries to finally fix them up proper but all is good now. They just get real cold during hunting season. I swear I can tell when the weather is going to change just by how my finger tips feel. Kinda strange
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

The worst I've had was getting stabbed with an antler. I had one scary cliffed out experience hunting solo, and am VERY cognizant now of where I'm headed and escape plans when I'm crawling around in the bush.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I was twelve and dad took me on a two week moose trip.
    we all drew tags that year but only managed to harvest one bull.

Camp packed up trailer in tow headed home about two km from where we leave are area a moose steps out at 75yards right in the middle of the road.
    Dad steps out and shoots the moose it drops in its tracks.

moose gets up and slips down the steep hill.'

dad says we will give it 20 minutes than go get him.

It was torential rain as we entered the steep timber as we proceeded down the hill there was tracks every where. dad slipped on a log and through his hip out..

Me at twelve had to drag dad back up to the truck.. to young to drive home and we had over 1000km to make it home... ouch for dad.

another time i broke a tooth and the pain was so bad i couldn't drive myself out. after 9 Tylenol i still couldn't see straight through the pain i dug out old faithful (bottle of whiskey to numb out the pain.)

1. Tore my Quad muscle (dehydrated, cramp - rriiiiippppp while walking down a log) Jet boat trip but close to boat
    2. Knee - stepped on a stick that twisted my knee, meniscus between joint and couldn't put any weight on it. Moose hunting trip which meant 2km walk back to truck.
    3. Brother rolled quad - sep shoulder. Had to move throttle controls to other side so he could drive out in a sling.
    4. Cuts / stitches - took a while but only 1 knife on an animal at a time. And i wear gloves all the time for almost everything around camp.

It looks bad, but this is over a 35yr period so not too bad really - i did OFA3 couple of years ago as i figured we're not getting any younger and at least one of us in our group had better know some first aid!!!

First five minutes of a ten day sheep hunt in the Wilmore Wilderness my pack horse went one direction around a tree while my horse and I went the other. Due to my inexperience I tried to guide the packhorse around the tree while backing my mount instead of just dropping the line. Neither horse was impressed and my left hand ended up in a bad spot. Got everything under control and then we rode another seven or so hours before camp. Did all the camp stuff then when it was finally time to enjoy the fire and a well earned scotch managed to pull off my glove to survey what I had done. My ring finger was purple, bent funny and hurt like a son of a bitch. My buddy who is an xray tech had a look, asked if I could move it, I could but it wasn't a good feeling. He said I was good. It was obviously broken he later said but what can you do. It bothered me for a long time and still does since it never really healed right and the knuckle has arthritis now. Other than that just the usual cuts, bruises, abrasions that happen when you spend time in the mountains backpacking.