Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Hybrid View

Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

I don't recall ever being injured other than minor cuts, burns, a few minor tumbles and a falling rock that bruised me up. I smashed my shin and think (I never got it checked out) broke a toe fishing but that's about it. My wife has had a few fairly minor ones... broke her nose while hunting, took a lengthy tumble off a bench down to the next one that needed a few months of physio, crushed her whole foot and busted her big toe on Friday.

It got me thinking though... there must be some insane stories right here on this forum... stories of injuries and resulting predicaments, getting back to camp / safety.

Let's hear some stories... the trip you were on, your mission, terrain, how you messed up, mitigation actions and the limp back to safety...

*puts another log on the fire* ... this one should be a gooder.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-09-2019 at 09:40 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Shattered my humeral head (ball of the shoulder) in a horse wreck 54km from the nearest road 5 years ago. Road 2hrs back to camp after the wreck, and another 7hrs of shitty trail back to a lake to get flown out of 3 days later. 7 months of physio 3 days a week before I could lift my right arm above my head. Learned a lot about horses since then, and it seems like most folks that work with them have broken a thing or two. Still beats the hell out of hiking when it comes to covering big distances.

Quote Originally Posted by NMO View Post
    Shattered my humeral head (ball of the shoulder) in a horse wreck 54km from the nearest road 5 years ago. Road 2hrs back to camp after the wreck, and another 7hrs of shitty trail back to a lake to get flown out of 3 days later. 7 months of physio 3 days a week before I could lift my right arm above my head. Learned a lot about horses since then, and it seems like most folks that work with them have broken a thing or two. Still beats the hell out of hiking when it comes to covering big distances.
    Holy crap that sounds like agony. Can't imagine the ride back or the walk out, let alone the recovery. Horses are worth it though

A few years back, I learnt the sharpness of the havalon. While breaking down a goat on day 5 of a 10 day goat/moose fly in hunt, I stuck it in one side of my shin, it bounced off my shin bone and poked through a few inches over from the entry. Funny thing is, I thought it was just a poke, until my foot started feeling wet. By the time day 10 came, and a lot of miles moose hunting, my leg got infected and swelled nearly double in size. 5 days of IV antibiotics took care of it.

On day 2 of the hunt, my back arthritis and spasms flared up. The cut infection was minor, to the 3 weeks of bedridden backpain I suffered afterwards. But hey, we got a goat!

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    A few years back, I learnt the sharpness of the havalon. While breaking down a goat on day 5 of a 10 day goat/moose fly in hunt, I stuck it in one side of my shin, it bounced off my shin bone and poked through a few inches over from the entry. Funny thing is, I thought it was just a poke, until my foot started feeling wet. By the time day 10 came, and a lot of miles moose hunting, my leg got infected and swelled nearly double in size. 5 days of IV antibiotics took care of it.

On day 2 of the hunt, my back arthritis and spasms flared up. The cut infection was minor, to the 3 weeks of bedridden backpain I suffered afterwards. But hey, we got a goat!
    Now that doesn't sound fun.

Few years back a friend of mine planted an axe into his right foot while chopping wood for camp. He was a good 80km off the nearest paved road and another hour past that to William's lake. Thank God his cousin who is a firefighter was there. Tourniquet, a few towels and a speedy drive to the hospital probably saved his foot or worse.

I was not there but that's how I remember hearing it at least.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post

Few years back a friend of mine planted an axe into his right foot while chopping wood for camp. He was a good 80km off the nearest paved road and another hour past that to William's lake. Thank God his cousin who is a firefighter was there. Tourniquet, a few towels and a speedy drive to the hospital probably saved his foot or worse.

Man! The bigger the blade the bigger the owi! There’s some force behind an axe, glad to hear he made it out quickly.
    One thing that is always in my first aid kit now, are those steri strips for closing up a wound. All I had were bandaids, if I woulda been able to close up my puncture holes, I think I would have saved the infection. Another lesson I learnt, don’t sit around with a serious injury, Iv never had much for infections before, my leg was a real eye opener for me. I should have called it quits and flew out for stitches, it’s not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post

I did the axe thing once, but no where near as bad, though I was also quite lucky. Not really a hunting or fishing story either... just camping. I was using a large dull axe trying to cut small kindling. I lifted up the piece of wood, along with the axe to plop it back down and start a fine cut. Unfortunately the axe bounced instead of penetrating... it bounced right onto the last section of my index finger. Luckily it hit the bone instead of the joint... had it have been the letter, I would have myself a stub. I cringe thinking about it LOL. Lesson !

Quote Originally Posted by NMO View Post
    Ouch man! Tough riding with one arm down I bet!

First five minutes of a ten day sheep hunt in the Wilmore Wilderness my pack horse went one direction around a tree while my horse and I went the other. Due to my inexperience I tried to guide the packhorse around the tree while backing my mount instead of just dropping the line. Neither horse was impressed and my left hand ended up in a bad spot. Got everything under control and then we rode another seven or so hours before camp. Did all the camp stuff then when it was finally time to enjoy the fire and a well earned scotch managed to pull off my glove to survey what I had done. My ring finger was purple, bent funny and hurt like a son of a bitch. My buddy who is an xray tech had a look, asked if I could move it, I could but it wasn't a good feeling. He said I was good. It was obviously broken he later said but what can you do. It bothered me for a long time and still does since it never really healed right and the knuckle has arthritis now. Other than that just the usual cuts, bruises, abrasions that happen when you spend time in the mountains backpacking.

No serious injury, other than bleeding shins (seamed to hit the same spot every time) while goat hunting at Chilco Lake.
    However once on Yalakom Mountain got myself trapped on a rock face like a spider on the wall and nowhere to go.
    I thought this is it, but somehow managed to extricate myself out of that rather shitty situation.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕