Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Re: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Rhododendron branch went into my left eye. Thought it was one of those scratches ive got over the years doing block layout but it was much deeper and now the vision in that eye is fairly hazy. Think ill probably try eye protection glasses from work this year.

Severed/torn extensor tendon in the hand finishing up a goat late Nov, alone. Took hours getting down in the dark and managed to sprain a wrist, bust open my lips and chip a tooth before the bottom. Memories.

I have never been injured out hunting. But I just finished listening to ed’s Pod cast on meat eater and then watched his documentary called charged. It was quite insightful about being electrocuted while hunting.

skinning a bear 5 years ago now my buddy was skinning around the neck hit a tough spot and used some strength to force through. well the knife went through alright and didn't stop until the blade was stuck in the knuckle on the middle finger after cutting my extensor tendon clean in half. surgery two days later and a few months of rehab later and I was good to go.

Disaster is always just one slip up away. Good reason to carry an inReach.

Nothing other than scrapes and bruises, but do carry a bottle of morphine sulfate pills in my pack.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Now that doesn't sound fun.

Few years back a friend of mine planted an axe into his right foot while chopping wood for camp. He was a good 80km off the nearest paved road and another hour past that to William's lake. Thank God his cousin who is a firefighter was there. Tourniquet, a few towels and a speedy drive to the hospital probably saved his foot or worse.

I was not there but that's how I remember hearing it at least.
    Man! The bigger the blade the bigger the owi! There’s some force behind an axe, glad to hear he made it out quickly.
    One thing that is always in my first aid kit now, are those steri strips for closing up a wound. All I had were bandaids, if I woulda been able to close up my puncture holes, I think I would have saved the infection. Another lesson I learnt, don’t sit around with a serious injury, Iv never had much for infections before, my leg was a real eye opener for me. I should have called it quits and flew out for stitches, it’s not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Now that doesn't sound fun.

Few years back a friend of mine planted an axe into his right foot while chopping wood for camp. He was a good 80km off the nearest paved road and another hour past that to William's lake. Thank God his cousin who is a firefighter was there. Tourniquet, a few towels and a speedy drive to the hospital probably saved his foot or worse.

I was not there but that's how I remember hearing it at least.
    I did the axe thing once, but no where near as bad, though I was also quite lucky. Not really a hunting or fishing story either... just camping. I was using a large dull axe trying to cut small kindling. I lifted up the piece of wood, along with the axe to plop it back down and start a fine cut. Unfortunately the axe bounced instead of penetrating... it bounced right onto the last section of my index finger. Luckily it hit the bone instead of the joint... had it have been the letter, I would have myself a stub. I cringe thinking about it LOL. Lesson !

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Man! The bigger the blade the bigger the owi! There’s some force behind an axe, glad to hear he made it out quickly.
    One thing that is always in my first aid kit now, are those steri strips for closing up a wound. All I had were bandaids, if I woulda been able to close up my puncture holes, I think I would have saved the infection. Another lesson I learnt, don’t sit around with a serious injury, Iv never had much for infections before, my leg was a real eye opener for me. I should have called it quits and flew out for stitches, it’s not worth the risk.
    Yeah infections aren't something to mess with. I would say you got quite lucky Haha. That's a tough situation to be in for sure. Don't envy you one bit.

Last September I had a plate removed from my left clavicle and after a month of rest I was itching to go deer hunting. On thanksgiving weekend I decided to get out for a few days solo. I was lucky enough to find a nice 4x4 on day one and dropped him. Getting close to dark I figured I could drag him whole back to my truck as it was mostly downhill. while dragging the deer my clavicle snapped with about 2km to go but still managed to get there. Not being able to pick it up into the bed I ended up quartering it with mostly one arm and loading it in the bed. I then drove 4 hours home and went back to have surgery again a week later. It turns out that I should have given my shoulder more time to heal haha.