Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Re: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

aed would be a nice addition.

(1) Shot a moose in ugly terrain. Ugly pack out. Twisted my knee in an awkward way. Found out eventually that I tore cartilage. Surgery required.

(2) On a moose hunt. F'ing around with a trailer. Strange tweak to my shoulder. Bothered me for a couple days. Then went to pick up my pack and tore my bicep. No surgery required, it eventually settled.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

i was going after a stone ram about 14km from nearest road and going across steep and cliffed out ground on same level as the sheep. I was using my left arm to stabilize myself against a rock face with fissures in it when suddenly a large loose rock dislodged and pushed me over a small cliff where I landed on a mix of fine and coarse shale. The rock hit the ground right above me, not on me luckily, then over my leg and back. I felt crushing weight kind of like being at the bottom end of a dog pile lol. I could hear the rock crashing down the mountain while I laid there trying to figure out how bad it was.

My leg probably would have been crushed and broken but the shale allowed some give so only a few deep punctures, a lot of blood and a chip out of my shin. When I got up I could see the indent my leg left in the shale. My pack saved my back and my pack frame was broken, metal dragonfly stove broken and fuel bottle punctured. I was not able to put weight on my leg so my partner helped my hobble back to camp, 4km took about 7 hrs and well past dark. I was laid up for 2 more full days then spent 2 days getting out slow with T3's and whiskey. Went to doctor - small fracture, bone chip and bruised bones. very lucky overall.

Somehow even when this happened I was more concerned about what the ram was doing... is he still there? check to see which way he heads etc... my partner was much more reasonable and focused on getting back to camp. The 2 full days laid up were spent glassing looking for more rams even though the hunt was done for me.

Jrax I seem to recall a similar story on this forum a few years back, not sure if you told it or not but I seem to recall the guy smashed the hell out of his rifle scope and the company sent him a brand new one. I don’t know why that sticks out for me...

I didn't get injured (other than a big bruise) but had an encounter with a falling rock with rifle involvement LOL

I was climbing up one of our ropes we use to get around one of our BT spots. I speculate a rock from up above had rolled down and ended up somewhere between the top and then uphill about 10 yards where it's tied to a tree. When I was half way up, this football size (maybe a bit bigger) comes tumbling down (presumably it was on or close to the rope which bumped it and allowed it to continue rolling down). I was half way up the rope when I heard something coming. I see the rock come bouncing down from over the top. It was coming right for my head, so I tucked myself in best I could. It ended up smacking into the stock of my rifle. In the grand scheme of things, the rock "grazed" the rifle (it could have been a lot worse) but it was still a good smack and gave me a stock-shaped bruise on my hip

Picture of the place it happened (caddisgirl heading up the hill)

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Jrax I seem to recall a similar story on this forum a few years back, not sure if you told it or not but I seem to recall the guy smashed the hell out of his rifle scope and the company sent him a brand new one. I don’t know why that sticks out for me...
    not me, have yet to bust up a scope /knock on wood … come to think of it, I was lucky that both my binos and gun made it through that fairly unscathed.

Yesterday I took a brand new hunter out and he harvested his first big game animal. While I was in the process of showing him how to skin and gut the bear my knife slipped while I was cutting around the bears ass and ended up in my leg ( It wasn’t very deep, a couple cms and a few wide just a few stitches). Luckily I didn’t hit anything major. So a couple bandages later we got back to skinning the bear and loaded up. Only a 30 minute drive back to town a quick hospital visit and I’m good as new. Any one ever heard of trichinosis being transmitted through blood contact? I’m going to have the bear tested either way.

Glad you're ok Rayne! I'm not a doctor, but will pretend

Trichinella (like most parasites) lives a very specific life cycle. When the cysts are ingested, your stomach acid releases them and they begin to reproduce in your stomach before migrating to your muscles.

I would go out on a limb here and say that it would be impossible to acquire trichinosis through a cut.

I knick myself at least once or twice on every bear, as I suspect half of all other hunters do as well.

Regarding the testing of bear meat for trich, I wouldn't bother. Here in southern BC, 20% of bears carry trichinella. That number gets higher for further north you go. Even if it tests negative for trichinella, you still need to handle and cook the meat with the same precautions due to other parasites such as tapeworms which exist in virtually all bears.

The only risk I see here is the potential for bacterial infection from the cut. If you had it looked at by a doctor, they would have assessed whether or not antibiotics or a tetanus shot were warranted.

I think you're all good. Congrats on the bear! I hope you'll post up a story thread if you haven't already (I'm just catching up now)

Smashed my pride and got soaked when we flipped our canoe fishing many years ago. Lost a fair bit of tackle but managed not to spill a drop of my Lucky nor did we lose any beer.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

My kid has been pestering me to share my encounter with a 3 oz. bouncing betty.

No injuries that required treatment but let's just say I came by the nickname "Splitnut the Fisherman" honestly.

Big spring on the line in heavy current, hook straightens. It was like it was in slow motion as I watched this dastardly chunk of lead come flying back toward me at supersonic speed. Yup, straight to the ball sack. DOWN GOES FRASIER!!

Our spot wasn't popularly known so we were alone, allowing me the luxury of laying on the rocks for 5 uninterrupted minutes whilst my scrotum and the associated pain localized instead of engulfing my entire being. Like I said, no lasting damage but an instant in time that will never be forgotten.
    Finland is a neutral country - but the guns point to the east.