Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Re: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Always a good read to remind us that we are very fragile pink bags of very important water. We puncture easily I have found out many times and bleed like heck, even from the smallest holes. Injuries wise, not too bad, some big fish hooks and one good puncture last season, slipped, hand down on a broken base of a branch, couple cms into the soft spot between thumb and fingers.

Last coupe years safety has become something I care about. OHSA/FR/EMR/Wilderness first aid has all taught me we are very fragile. Truck has two first aid kits, Big one for people, Smaller one for doggos. In my pack, medium first aid kit, CAT tourniquet, water, fire. On my person, CAT, knife, fire. Training has taught me lots, Number one - CARRY A C.A.T TOURNIQUET IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE. Improvised TQ attempts have a failure rate of over 75%, even with a windlass (spinny thing) they fail over 90% of the time. C.A.T- Combat Application Tourniquet-- buy the real one not the fake ones and once its on a person actually being used its on until a DOCTOR takes it off end of story. Planning and prevention cant be overlooked, tell someone where you are going who knows where that actually is, usually my brother 6 hours away because my girlfriend doesn't know that tree way back there where we saw that chicken one time back a few moons ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Always a good read to remind us that we are very fragile pink bags of very important water. We puncture easily I have found out many times and bleed like heck, even from the smallest holes. Injuries wise, not too bad, some big fish hooks and one good puncture last season, slipped, hand down on a broken base of a branch, couple cms into the soft spot between thumb and fingers.

Last coupe years safety has become something I care about. OHSA/FR/EMR/Wilderness first aid has all taught me we are very fragile. Truck has two first aid kits, Big one for people, Smaller one for doggos. In my pack, medium first aid kit, CAT tourniquet, water, fire. On my person, CAT, knife, fire. Training has taught me lots, Number one - CARRY A C.A.T TOURNIQUET IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE. Improvised TQ attempts have a failure rate of over 75%, even with a windlass (spinny thing) they fail over 90% of the time. C.A.T- Combat Application Tourniquet-- buy the real one not the fake ones and once its on a person actually being used its on until a DOCTOR takes it off end of story. Planning and prevention cant be overlooked, tell someone where you are going who knows where that actually is, usually my brother 6 hours away because my girlfriend doesn't know that tree way back there where we saw that chicken one time back a few moons ago....
    Good stuff, good advice^^^^

Very sound advice indeed. If on a long term hike in hunt, what does your first aid kit look like? There must be a balance between necessities and weight. I'd like to hear what you would carry from your experience!

My big first aid kits dont leave my truck along with some other safety gear that lives there. I don't do much hike in hunting becuase I live 5 minutes from bunnies to moose but my day pack kit is based on big problems, major trauma, breaks and what not. Many first aid kits contain a large variety of medical supplies for small injuries, I replace the small stuff with stuff for bigger problems like bandaids with sterile gauze that can be used for a larger variety of things like packing deep wounds, burns, and larger problems. I added a few things that make life easier for performing first aid on yourself which is much harder than it looks, Id suggest trying it out a few times. As well as a few things that you dont find in your standard little kits. Not everything is listed but this is what I add to the basics. St.John ambulance has the best kits for the money.

1x CAT tourniquet
    2x rolls of vet wrap -stretchy self adhesive wrap/roll, one hand application and it holds tight no safety pins or clips.
    2x rolls Electrical tape because it still works covered in blood and you don't have to cut it.
    1x SAM splint (try making a splint out of sticks at home....good luck)
    1x Wound packing syringe/long gauze roll. Designed for gun shot wounds, a long thin empty "syringe" with no needle, that is packed with a single long piece of gauze and inserted/injected into the bullet wound channel to pack it as deep and tight as possible and stop deep bleeding.
    1x Compact tac light, can hold it in my mouth, full battery never used for anything else.
    1x never used Opinel N0.7 knife, sharp as can be and clean, it is never used for anything else....think 127 hours

My big first aid kits dont leave my truck along with some other safety gear that lives there. I don't do much hike in hunting becuase I live 5 minutes from bunnies to moose but my day pack kit is based on big problems, major trauma, breaks and what not. Many first aid kits contain a large variety of medical supplies for small injuries, I replace the small stuff with stuff for bigger problems like bandaids with sterile gauze that can be used for a larger variety of things like packing deep wounds, burns, and larger problems. I added a few things that make life easier for performing first aid on yourself which is much harder than it looks, Id suggest trying it out a few times. As well as a few things that you dont find in your standard little kits. Not everything is listed but this is what I add to the basics. St.John ambulance has the best kits for the money.

1x CAT tourniquet
    2x rolls of vet wrap -stretchy self adhesive wrap/roll, one hand application and it holds tight no safety pins or clips.
    2x rolls Electrical tape because it still works covered in blood and you don't have to cut it.
    1x SAM splint (try making a splint out of sticks at home....good luck)
    1x Wound packing syringe/long gauze roll. Designed for gun shot wounds, a long thin empty "syringe" with no needle, that is packed with a single long piece of gauze and inserted/injected into the bullet wound channel to pack it as deep and tight as possible and stop deep bleeding.
    1x Compact tac light, can hold it in my mouth, full battery never used for anything else.
    1x never used Opinel N0.7 knife, sharp as can be and clean, it is never used for anything else....think 127 hours
    Thanks!

That's some good info right there. I have basic 1st aid experience from my days as a lifeguard (insert jokes I know) but that basic training has helped on a few occasions already. I like the CAT and vet wrap, I'll be adding that to my kit. Good call on the sharp knife although I wish I'd never have to do what he did.

Thanks for the insight!

Add to firstbloods list is a dollar store 3 pack of crazy glue. It will seal some big cuts till you get to the stitch factory.
    Mine was a frost bitten ear and cheek. It still goes numb quicker that the rest of me after 35 years.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Vet wrap ? Is that like 3M Coban which adheres to itself ? Really great stuff ,think it came to be during the Vietnam war .
    Arctic Lake

Vet wrap=3M coban. Great stuff and tons of uses. Tigrr Is right super glue is spectacular stuff always have it in both my kits. Have a stapler in my doggo kit but glue is much less painful and easier to apply.

A couple packs of steri strips (butterflys), weigh nothing, but close a bad cut quickly.

Oh yea forgot about SteriStrips . Had more than few cuts that needed stitches . When I arrived at the hospital for stitches the doctor would look at the SteriStrips holding things together and say” I’m just going to leave that as is “
    Arctic Lake