Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Re: Injuries while out hunting or fishing! What's your story?

Great idea for a thread!!

Tons of adventures in remote places and I can say that neither myself nor my partners have had any note worthy incidents.

Avoid horses and quads. Those things both have weight and power. I prefer boots

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Love this classic thread from Mattb

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...y-04-Mule-deer
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Bleeding is a thing worth keeping an eye on I really felt that bit about the rock face and about getting stuck on steep things... never a full on rock face, but some mossy benches where I went down one bench to the next a few times, ledged up trying to creep along some ledge that gets more and more narrow, gets steep and starts rounding out, all of a sudden I'm pretty much just hugging ground scared to move. Similar feeling when I made some mistakes wading around in rivers... sometimes you get stuck there to trying to chose between 1 or 2 very unfavorable options.
    For sure never want to be stuck like that again.
    The spot was pretty well vertical, but somehow got into a large crack between rocks and was able to go up.
    I was trying to make a short cut you know
    Never a good idea.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

My friend had back spasms while we were out on a moose hunt, he could basically not move so we laid him by the fire but he still got hypothermia, we eventually got him in a cot in the tent in his bag where he warmed up.

It is so important to plan for the worst, have a good 1st aid kit and a way to communicate with the outside world. Guns, knives, axes, bears, rough terrain, weather all lead to risk. On a fly-in you could be locked down by weather for days at a time.

One safety item I never skimp on is a very warm sleeping bag, if all else fails at least you have a warm place to lay down.

Forgot about this one...shot a nice bull moose about 1/2 hour before the end of legal shooting time about a dozen years ago. When 1/4ing it up in the dark I tripped and had a sharp stick about a 1/2 inch in diameter go through my left hand in the soft tissue between my thumb and index finger.

Very painful kidney stone attack while in my treestand figured i was dying in some way.It was a long crawl out of the bush and the 2 hours into the hospital.Ouch
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Passenger in a high speed off an old snowy skidder trail barrel roll in mid air landing on the roof 50' below last day of last seasons "2018" Mule deer season Reg 8, Nov 10. Severe concussion, slight brain bleed, neck, upper, mid and lower back, compression injuries to knees, nerve damage and some other stuff. Still in rehab. Good times... Oh and no deer...

Dislocated my right shoulder when I slipped on a snowy ramp loading my quad in my truck. Truck was stick shift, had to shift with left hand to get home, try it, not easy. Thankfully the quad was already loaded and I wasn’t too far from town. Doc had issues trying to get arm back in the socket, had to put his foot in my armpit and reef on it, while I screamed in narcotic euphoria. Physio separated it in therapy and had to get it repaired, good now.

I also tested the sharpness of a Havalon last spring while skinning a bear and watched in what seemed like slow motion as I sunk it into the side of my pointing finger til the tip hit bone. Went in like butter, absolutely no force. Be damn careful with Havalons. I was whining like a little bitch about getting trichanosis and my wife and buddy still raz me about it!
    "AIM SMALL...MISS SMALL"

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Passenger in a high speed off an old snowy skidder trail barrel roll in mid air landing on the roof 50' below last day of last seasons "2018" Mule deer season Reg 8, Nov 10. Severe concussion, slight brain bleed, neck, upper, mid and lower back, compression injuries to knees, nerve damage and some other stuff. Still in rehab. Good times... Oh and no deer...

wow! Best of luck recovering
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Eve & I were preparing to fish in Gaspard Creek(2007 summer) when charged by a grizz. Both of us screaming changed his mind only feet away.
    I yelled-run,run to the camper quickly. I was running for the gun that was hanging on the camper jack. Eve was holding a stool in one hand & running as fast as she could. She wore some loose sandals & wiped out 2 times falling into some sharp rocks & boulders. The stool was for protection said Eve!

I was back quickly to the creek area with the loaded 375 H&H but the bear was gone for good.

Her left leg up to the knee was badly bleeding & swelled to about 2x the size(have it on a video). Also her hands were badly bruised.
    We went back to Vancouver the same day. She saw the doctor & no bones were broken.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein