Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Spca

Re: Spca

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    The BC SPCA euthanized in 2018 a grand total of 2,213 pets which represents @ 11% of the intake. Of that 2018, the majority were classed as Unhealthy and Untreatable. Sounds reasonable to me.
    Not defending the SPCA "anti" hunting stance, just trying to put the alleged "murder" of pets in perspective.
    Again, very disappointed with their stance on hunting but that has to be weighed against all the good things that they do for the welfare of pets.
    It's kinda like any Election - the Party of choice rarely, if ever has a platform that anyone can back 100%.
    It is unfortunate that a group like the SPCA, who does the best they can, has to also get into the political side of things rather than just stick to what their main goal is.
    There's a big difference between "protection of pets" (from cats/dogs to horses/livestock) that are owned
    by the average person and that of "harvesting wild game".

Completely separate issues, but they cant get it thru their heads.
    So, let the Anti's support them.
    I won't.

It disgusts me that SPCA is given authority and enforcement powers while simultaneously holding an agenda beyond upholding the law as it stands. They are anti-hunting for sure and they are no friends of farming either. If I have a cow that is having any health issues, even if putting her on the pasture for some respite would be the best thing for her, I can't do so because someone might see her and the SPCA will be called. When they arrive there is no explaining the situation and that it's being dealt with, just penalties and follow up inspections. No laws are being broken and the cow is not suffering, rather she's recovering, but they find a way to hassle and penalize because they have an anti-farming stance.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    It disgusts me that SPCA is given authority and enforcement powers while simultaneously holding an agenda beyond upholding the law as it stands. They are anti-hunting for sure and they are no friends of farming either. If I have a cow that is having any health issues, even if putting her on the pasture for some respite would be the best thing for her, I can't do so because someone might see her and the SPCA will be called. When they arrive there is no explaining the situation and that it's being dealt with, just penalties and follow up inspections. No laws are being broken and the cow is not suffering, rather she's recovering, but they find a way to hassle and penalize because they have an anti-farming stance.
    If your neighbors are aware that you keep a good farm and practice good "husbandry" then you shouldn't have a problem and if someone does call the SPCA and they show up I'm sure they will understand once they see whats going on.

On the other hand there are those that I see who.....feed their animals moldy hay when they get around to it, dropping calves in minus 20-30 temps with no straw, shelter whatsoever, dead calves laying around until the eagles/vultures eat them, and the other farmers in the area are concerned because it makes them look bad because they take care of their animals, I have seen that.

The SPCA needs a reality check if they are going to continue on the anti path as they dont have any business being political in any way. If they are getting 5 mil from the provincial government annually then that explains alot as they can live with a dip in private funding, 5 mil is almost what this pathetic government puts into wildlife initiatives.

The SPCA lost my support years ago when they refused to sell (they call it adopt) an obviously trained Lab to a friend because he answered truthfully and told them he was a hunter. They want to know what cruelty is, it is not letting a dog do what it was born, bred and trained to do. I'm done with them PERIOD this is just one more nail in their coffin for me.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Arrow Re: Spca

Some here are aware that my Lady and I have been rearing, training and living with Wolf Hybrids for well over 3 decades.
    A handful of years after we moved south to BC, the SPCA decided they were going to declare such hybrids as "inherently dangerous" and therefore persona non grata in BC.
    Between ourselves and a handful of buddies, the legal team we enrgaged convinced them of the foolishness of that direction.
    And they reluctantly withdrew.

Since then I have had occasion to directly witness their anti-hunting positions, and their obsessive drive to keep dogs bred to the sport from hunting.

We lost all faith in them many many years ago.
    Now our efforts are being re-directed to get their "head biologist" removed from her RP-Bio status as she is FAR from a an "unbiased scientist"...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

When I ran hounds, I had the SPCA try and play games with me, licences, kennels, dental. Anything they could try and fine me for.
    I never got any fines. The last time they drove up my driveway, I told the lady she just got all my dog a death sentence.

" I do this for fun, and you are playing shitty games.
    I don't play games, and if you ever come on my property again, I promise you these dogs will go for one last ride, remember it's legal for me to destroy my dogs quickly and painlessly."

The SPCA, and the peace officer stopped playing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    It is unfortunate that a group like the SPCA, who does the best they can, has to also get into the political side of things rather than just stick to what their main goal is.
    There's a big difference between "protection of pets" (from cats/dogs to horses/livestock) that are owned
    by the average person and that of "harvesting wild game".

Completely separate issues, but they cant get it thru their heads.
    So, let the Anti's support them.
    I won't.
    Yes, totally agree they should keep out of political issues. Stick to caring for and where necessary intervening on behalf of abused animals.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Its not black and white for me.
    The SPCA does good work and they are significant force in society to control cruelty.
    I will continue to work with and finance their work.
    I have to agree with a lot of what is said in this thread but I'm not going to black-list every person/entity because I'm not in 100% agreement with everything they do.
    They need guidance to get them focussed back on their primary mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Roo View Post
    Its not black and white for me.
    The SPCA does good work and they are significant force in society to control cruelty.
    I will continue to work with and finance their work.
    I have to agree with a lot of what is said in this thread but I'm not going to black-list every person/entity because I'm not in 100% agreement with everything they do.
    They need guidance to get them focussed back on their primary mission.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

X-2.....well said.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

guest Guest

Several years ago we wanted to adopt a lovely lab from Langley SPCA. Things were moving along quite well. In the final strokes of getting the dog....i asked if the dog had ever been used for hunting...i mentioned he was going to love waterfoul hunting.
    That was when they said No, you can not adopt the handsome lab named Ozzy. We dont allow people to adopt for hunting.
    I stated he would be far more a family dog then a hunter. Nope. No way.
    Yes they do some good things for abused animals...... But ...... To you directly SPCA.......get your heads out of the sand.
    Some of your policies on adoption are Pathetic. Many breeds of dogs make and live for Hunting purposes.
    That said we got a wonderful Golden ...... Named him Ozzy because we were taken in by that Black Lab looking to be adopted......
    They likely put the lab down.......
    I wont be donating any funds to the SPCA.......not until this Stupid policy is removed.