Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Re: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

I carry bear spray all the time when hunting and scouting. I think the pros out way the cons by a lot.

My personal strategy is to carry bear spray attached to my bino harness so that if I drop my backpack, or damage/become separated from my rifle I still have a line of defense. I also practice quick reaction shots with my hunting rifle a few times a year.

In open country:
    I would reach for a gun and shoot to kill whether it's a black bear or grizzly. I will ask for forgiveness/hire a lawyer if distance/kill shot is debated by CO.

In thick brush:
    I make note that I wouldn't have time/space to shoulder a rifle and acquire a target so I make a mental note to reach for spray first, and a rifle second.

In my experience from spraying 3 bears (2 in wild, 1 in yard) the bears retreated 20-40 yards/coughed and would've afforded me time to shoulder a rifle and shoot if I was required.

I think one thing people need to consider is that bear charges are often in less than ideal terrain. Standing still, shouldering a rifle, aiming, and shooting is difficult under stress. I think it's nearly impossible if you're straddling a log, holding willows back, climbing up a creek/river bank, ducking under deadfall, or packing out a heavy load. Bear spray however can be reached for by muscle memory and sprayed in the general direction with little aim and minimal support/balance due to almost no "recoil".

It seems to me that people think they'll only ever be charged by a bear in an ideal scenario that would lead to accurate and quick shooting.
    If that's the case, I agree shooting is likely your best chance.
    But if things aren't perfect, I will use spray first, hope it gives me extra time and then re-assess/shoot.
    Last edited by 604ksmith; 04-30-2021 at 05:32 PM.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Just strap a can to your belt, weighs nothing, and is just as effective as a rifle. This is what I do when bow hunting and luckily have only been close to using it.
    You mean strap one of these to your belt ? RJ

https://ruger.com/products/superRedh...an/models.html OR

https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g20-gen4

RJ I Have thought many times about being able to carry a sidearm while in the bush . Protection ! Safety !Wont ever happened here though !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    RJ I Have thought many times about being able to carry a sidearm while in the bush . Protection ! Safety !Wont ever happened here though !
    Arctic Lake
    There's PROB a few people out there PACKIN ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm grizz are omnivores they eat everything but granite and license plates.
    No never bought, packed or used bear spray..lack of trust in it.
    Used guide gun, rem 350, defender shotgun,.338..
    Some areas low possibility encounters..
    Some are high probibility. .ie bella coola , tatla lk, tatlyoko, chilco, likely, yanks peak , horsefly black creek.
    Gary sheldon is hands on woods field expert..what a bear will do..steps you should take to prevent deadly encounters.
    Stephen Hererro..more biology..school teaching views.
    Problem with weapons..using wrong ones..and lack of proficiency. .ie weekend warriors. .
    No to spray..
    Srupp
    Steven, what kind of ammo are you using in your Rem.35?
    I got a Marlin Model 336 Rem. 35 using LeverEvolution 200 gr. rounds.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm grizz are omnivores they eat everything but granite and license plates.
    No never bought, packed or used bear spray..lack of trust in it.
    Used guide gun, rem 350, defender shotgun,.338..
    Some areas low possibility encounters..
    Some are high probibility. .ie bella coola , tatla lk, tatlyoko, chilco, likely, yanks peak , horsefly black creek.
    Gary sheldon is hands on woods field expert..what a bear will do..steps you should take to prevent deadly encounters.
    Stephen Hererro..more biology..school teaching views.
    Problem with weapons..using wrong ones..and lack of proficiency. .ie weekend warriors. .
    No to spray..
    Srupp

My mistake Steven, you got a Remington 350, not a 35
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I can’t imagine what ones wrist would feel like after shooting the Ruger in the link you provided
    .Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I feel that if you are carrying a firearm for protection, being proficient with it is the most important thing.

I hike, travel, camp, and sleep best with my 30 year old defender.

I'm ok with my short barrel Winchester .30-30 too. Best caliber in grizzly country? Probably not, but I'm just so familiar with that gun in all ways..

YEA you BET your LUCKY ! Because one Day your gonna find out just how USELESS spray can be against a Predatory Bear or a MOM bear with Cubs ! And to SUGGEST to people that spray is just as EFFECTIVE as a Gun ?? is really IGNORANT on your part ! You trying to get people KILLED ?? What kinda GUN are you comparing it too - BB - Pellet Gun ?? RJ

Haha i agree with pappa jim and old stealhead stubburn man...458 shooting a 400grainn bonded bullet is what i carry if i think chances of a conflic are high....eg carrying a bou 12
    Km solo..i also have two gg in 4570...**** spray i have only sprayed one bear at 5 yards in th face and that spray wAs OOO dead. Thanks.i do not biw hunt without one of my gg loaded h
    With had cast.....