Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

G'day all,

I'm moving up to the Kamloops area this year after having spent the last few years hunting around Reg 8 where the Grizzlies are less common. I anticipate most of my hunting to be in Regions 3 & 5 and wonder what you lot carry for bear protection. If you don't carry anything, why not? Are there areas that Grizz tend to avoid?

I'm considering picking up a shorty 12g for my hunts, but if I can avoid the extra weight I'd be thrilled as I prefer hike-in hunting. I'd love to keep the weight down and carry a spray can but I understand them to be less effective on Grizzly than Blacks.

Thanks for any insights!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

What's wrong with just carrying your hunting rifle??

Bow hunting?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I don’t carry bear protection anywhere myself. Grizzlies(any bears) should be given respect but if you use your brain and be aware odds of a issue are low in my opinion. I hunt/fish a fair number of locations with moderate to higher grizzly numbers

If it makes you more comfortable to have bear protection have at it but not really a must

As for region 3 grizzly are around but in most of the region you would have to put in effort to seek them out to see one.

Region 5 has MUs with higher grizzly numbers but there is lots of MUs that don’t hold much for grizzly

There is MUs in both regions with grizzly numbers that are worth taking note they are around but lots of MUs it would not be likely to see one

Most of our hunting is in Reg. 5 & some in 3 nowadays. A properly loaded GG 45/70 is hard to beat for grizz protection. It's fairly light, fast, accurate & easy to use especially with open sights.
    A Rossi Ranch Hand .44 mag is another option. It weighs less than 5 lbs & with the right load will out penetrate the Defender using slugs.

Bear spray may or may not work on a curious bear. Why take a chance?
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I use my 1895TSBL or my grizzly 12.5" 12 gauge

I see more grizz in 8 than 3, but still very low odds of an encounter. Where abouts in region 3 are you planning on hunting. This will determine your odds of seeing grizz. Region 5 has some denser grizz pops for sure but again depends on specific areas.

Just strap a can to your belt, weighs nothing, and is just as effective as a rifle. This is what I do when bow hunting and luckily have only been close to using it.

500 s&w Single shot. It puts holes in things

Arrow Re: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    Just strap a can to your belt, weighs nothing, and is just as effective as a rifle.
    Your extreme lack of experience is shining through again...

Having been directly involved with testing bear spray on both grizzlies and black bears, I can assure you that I personally will NEVER rely on it to deter any bear. Especially large dominant boars whose reaction to attack the source was just common enough as to be very worrying.

Suggesting that spray "is just as effective as a rifle" is the opinion of one who has never been there.

I will pack my rifle, or a short double shotgun loaded with slugs thank you very much.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me