Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Re: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Thats the same rig I use

if you surprise them on a kill nothing is going to stop them if your in there space. common sense look listen and walk slowly. if your worried stick to the roads, nothing worse than a nervous nelly in the bush

1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

[QUOTE=Camp Cook;2087444]In the grizzly pic above if your lucky you will have time for one shot.

Your aim point should be between the eyes and max 1" above - 2" below the eyes.

I'm not a bear hunter & have never shot at a charging bear but read many stories of bullet,slug, buckshot deflecting of the thick bear skull when the acute angle of entrance compared to the skull is small.
    One story I remember reading was when a trooper shot a Treadwell grizzly with a brenneke slug at a close range as it charged & it failed to penetrate the skull as indicated in the necropsy report. It took a lung shot to kill it.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Anyone that packs a gun in a scabbard and thinks they have time to drop their bow, get the gun and then fire an accurate shot are fooling themselves. Better to pack your bow on your back and carry the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Anyone that packs a gun in a scabbard and thinks they have time to drop their bow, get the gun and then fire an accurate shot are fooling themselves. Better to pack your bow on your back and carry the gun.
    I would have to agree with that. Both times I was charged while bow hunting my bow was in my hands and my instinct was to throw my hands up and yell 'Hey Bear!". It worked but probably not the best instinct Haha.

I carry my 45-70 when bow hunting have it on my shoulder with my safari sling at all times so it is hands free while packing my xbow
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Chuck was a great western star. Grew up during Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Maverick & Have Gun Will Travel era. How I miss those days-never again!

Anyways I only practice once in a while(another great song).
    Did the same with my Defender but it jammed on me once- probably from mixing different shells.

After being charged both Eve & I discussed how we lost our fear & went into survival mode. Our senses were greatly amplified.

More on the efficacy of spray continued!

Bear sprayed store clerk successfully fights off thieves a few months ago in BC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP7HD36TgxM

Nov. 2011 -Spray used by police on student protesters from MK-9 canister- not much different from bear spray.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

And bear spray is supposed to stop an adrenalized aggressive grizz during a charge running at 30 to 40 fps.
    I DON’T THINK SO!

Sadly his son in “The Rifleman”, John Crawford, 75, has died yesterday.
    RIP JC

https://deadline.com/2021/04/johnny-...75-1234747456/
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

where I grew up bears (black) were common and very afraid of people. Even as kids we knew to stand tall and yell F-off bear. We chased them out of camp out of necessity and we chased them out of garbage dumps for fun....

when I worked in the UBC research forest in 1990 I experienced the first ever bear that did not run when confronted..as a matter of fact he stood up to make himself look big and I slowly backed up and got back into the truck after..it was a bit un-nerving but no lasting fear effects....

in about 1994, I was hunting up near Loon lake and was crossing through about a mile of bush between 2 roads...when I got to the middle there was a large wide cattle trail..as I got to the edge of where the trail opened up, I did a full look around before stepping into the open.

as I got about 5 steps into the opening, a bear also stepped out about 100 feet away....I looked at him and he looked at me so I stood tall and yelled f-off bear.....it turned towards me and ran full speed....I pride my self on being pretty quick with an off-hand shot and I was carrying in the "ready " position...

when I pulled up the 303 british with the scope adjusted down on 3x power ) that bear sure looked a lot closer and bigger!! I quickly shot it in the face....it reeled but continued to run to its left...not wanting a wounded bear running around, I put a follow up in it broadside as it ran and it dropped right there...

I don't think I would have had time to find and fire a fiddly little can of pepper spray...plus with the rifle I did not have to take my eyes off the charging bear... I also stood beside a guy who fired spray at a crouching cougar from 10-15 feet away and the spray did not reach the cat....I did get a pretty nasty coughing fit when I chased the cougar into the surrounding forest when I breathed the cloud of drifting spray...

I mostly hunt region 3, my "bear protection" is my hunting rifle,there seems to be a huge increase in "bear defense" and "camp guns" over the last few years, seems odd that ypud wanna fumble around trying to get to a shotgun when you have a rifle in your hand, chances are if you wait til he's in shotgun range your probably screwed