Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Re: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Quote Originally Posted by butthead View Post
    after watching this grizzly i figured
    i don't stand a chance anyways
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hURgA_BNSGc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziib-MZ5IXY
    Reached this conclusion years ago after a black bear bluff charged me in thick bush. Everything was so fast all I remember is hearing the bush crash and seeing a black bluer run past me. You would not have time to shit yourself let alone go for spray on your hip or gun on your back. I have pushed my luck with black bears lot of the year hunting them or just doing dumb things so been bluffed more then a few times. In most cases if you don’t have your spray or firearm in your hands and ready your screwed

A camp gun or recovery gun I understand but Out hunting the weapon in your hand is your best bet

I carry an 18" barrel 870. I practice with it A LOT. One year while bow hunting I decided to carry a model 94 instead. That was the day we had a sow blackbear get grumpy with us clacking her teeth and growling...I would have felt a lot better with a shotgun. I don't own pepper spray, and have no interest in trying it. I know that a human can run through spray and continue to work someone over, and I know that bears are tougher than humans.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

You should just get over your fear of bears go out and have fun because you are going too run in to more bears every because of more bears not been taken. Seen lots in 3 5 area

bears don't need to be feared, just respected

Its always the people that don't grow up around bears that are more worried about them, which is completely understandable. We are not viewed as a food source, and the number of humans killed by black bears in the last 2 decades North America wide I believe is under 10...
    Last edited by Darksith; 04-12-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    bears don't need to be feared, just respected

Its always the people that don't grow up around bears that are more worried about them, which is completely understandable. We are not viewed as a food source, and the number of humans killed by black bears in the last 2 decades North America wide I believe is under 10...
    completely agree with the respected not feared when it comes to bears

I do agree people who are not around bears are more prone to fearing them but there is still no lack of those in Northern BC that fear them. I know loggers that won’t leave the tracks of their machine for a crap if a bear has been seen within 5miles of the block

I had fun scaring the hell out of them well sharing a camp

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Mpotzold That there is some pretty slick shooting . Chuck Connors would be impressed . Now how to keep your composure when the charging Grizz is coming at you in an imminent attack . If it ever came to this I would HOPE for nerves of steel !
    Arctic Lake
    Chuck was a great western star. Grew up during Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Maverick & Have Gun Will Travel era. How I miss those days-never again!

Anyways I only practice once in a while(another great song).
    Did the same with my Defender but it jammed on me once- probably from mixing different shells.

After being charged both Eve & I discussed how we lost our fear & went into survival mode. Our senses were greatly amplified.

More on the efficacy of spray continued!

Bear sprayed store clerk successfully fights off thieves a few months ago in BC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP7HD36TgxM

Nov. 2011 -Spray used by police on student protesters from MK-9 canister- not much different from bear spray.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4

And bear spray is supposed to stop an adrenalized aggressive grizz during a charge running at 30 to 40 fps.
    I DON’T THINK SO!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm grizz are omnivores they eat everything but granite and license plates.
    No never bought, packed or used bear spray..lack of trust in it.
    Used guide gun, rem 350, defender shotgun,.338..
    Some areas low possibility encounters..
    Some are high probibility. .ie bella coola , tatla lk, tatlyoko, chilco, likely, yanks peak , horsefly black creek.
    Gary sheldon is hands on woods field expert..what a bear will do..steps you should take to prevent deadly encounters.
    Stephen Hererro..more biology..school teaching views.
    Problem with weapons..using wrong ones..and lack of proficiency. .ie weekend warriors. .
    No to spray..
    Srupp
    Couldn't agree more.
    Shortly after our charge talked to Gary & ordered all of his books. He also wrote me a letter saying that the charge was very likely predatory.
    In a nutshell.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

[QUOTE=mpotzold;2085278]

In the first photo the pond is only a short distance from a small lake off Meadow Lake Rd. There is a gravel pit where I used to practice hitting a paper plate t......

Here's the small lake

While out hunting, the rifle in your hands is your protection.
    You want to carry spray on your hip, in case your mauled and that's all you can reach for, I guess you can,
    or like one guy, use a big knife.
    And pray.

As for after game is down, I am considering a shotgun with slugs, especially if I have to go back to camp first to get a back pack to pack out.

Some guys in areas with Bear and alone, I know see them packing 45/70's to hunt all day with.
    Like they say, for most elk and moose, they feel they don't need to shoot more than 100 yards anyways.
    So a rifle like that, lever action and big bullets, is going to add some comfort to their hunts in bear country.

IF sidearms were allowed, and I wish they were!
    (if they could atleast allow for a few calibers, in x amount of barrel length)
    That would be the route I would go to have on my body in case I couldn't react fast enough.

I have seen a few folks who do illegally pack them, but I wouldn't unless it was legal.
    You do see on a few of those Discovery programs like the Last Alaskans, where they ALL pack a long barreled sidearm.
    Makes sense to me.

(We don't need to allow little snub nosed sidearms that can be completely concealed, but rather one
    that you can't hide, carry on the waist, that everyone can see, and could help in a bad situation).
    What I don't get is, we already carry rifles, so what is the difference with a 10-12" barreled sidearm
    for "the purpose of hunting protection"??

Some will say some bears would be killed unnecessarily, thus we can carry spray.
    I suspect some bears meet the Triple S anyways because we do carry rifles and do have close encounters.
    Some folks are just "dreamers" as to "how it should be".

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I have a day or two out in the woods of this magnificent Province of ours in my life time so far. I carry when I am in the woods. When I say carry, I mean a 444 marlin, or a 12ga shotgun, or a centerfire rifle. I always have a couple cans of bear mace in the camper, and when I walk in urban/rural interface areas. Best defense for bears is to understand their behavior, and know when the times is right to deploy your protection device of choice. I have only ever killed 1 bear in self defense, a black bear. Very rarely have I seen grizz while out strolling around, but when I have, I always let them know what I am, and my weapon is always hot! I like to give the bears the court, and i'll go find a different spot. I have seen grizz in region 5, and black bears in every other MU i have been in.

Always expect to see bears, grizz, or blacks, ANYWHERE in this great province of ours. They are the top of the food chain now, and are no longer hunted by the human, so they act accordingly. I have a comfort distance from bears, and if they get in my uncomfortable range, I kill them, simple! No warning shots, first shot kills! Your second bullet is almost always off target! Lots will preach of warning shots, don't! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"