Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Re: Reg 3 & 5 - Do you carry bear protection? If so, what?

Judging bear defence methods I look at it pretty simple. First how many times is a firearm or spray deemed effective on bears that were bluffing? More times then not a bear bluffs but you won’t know if you use either form of defence. Bears don’t tell you either so can’t blame a guy for using a form of defence

Firearm) can drop them in their tracks or cause enough pain to deter them till they die. It still comes with flaws though. In a true oh sh!t bear moment it’s fast and most who think they will make the shot and drop the bear won’t do to thier reactions under pressure or caught by surprise. Don’t hit the bear right it can still maul you or you straight up miss. Bad hit could also change a bluff into a defensive attack or it turns from pain. Firearm no doubt can save your @ss but not 100% and if you can’t keep it together odds are you can’t hit your mark. Yes I know we are hunters we don’t miss

Spray) you are basically relying on pain, vision impairment, and impacting the bears breathing. Yes this can make them decide it’s not worth it or impair the bears sense. But if that bear really wants to go through with an attack it can push through it. If the wind is wrong the bear and yourself are both getting it. One big plus spray is easier to hit its mark

My opinion if you can keep it together and make a stopping shot on a moving target in a moment of adrenaline filled shock can’t beat a firearm. If you can’t you might as well have spray because a poorly hit bear is only deterred by pain well spray impaires vision, breathing and inflicts pain as a deterrent. No doubt the firearm is superior if the person behind it can get the job done but a poor hit or miss you are better off with spray

I personally don’t see either 100% effective and human error is a big factor in high stress split second moments that impact how effective either choice is.

Debate away if you want but I will stick to being observant and try to avoid getting into a bad situation instead. Even this has not been 100% effective for me but I don’t need to pack extra gear

I hate to say it but odds are in most cases if a bear wants to really chew on you your F ed so don’t stress about it too much

Think I will rely on my short double shotgun with slugs, i cant see more opportunity with any more ammo as it will happen so fast that you wont get more than two shots off in a close in fightin situation anyways before you get scratched up some or alot and you cant carry it on your back or there is no point in carrying it

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    Danny_29:

"Holy. Touchy subject I guess. Everything I've read suggests spray and a rifle are just as effective."

"Read" and "suggests" being the operative words.

Herrero thinks spray is effective, as do many others. Gary Shelton has other things you can read that would indicate the contrary.

What do you know from personal experience or from people you know and trust?

My personal experience is that grizzlies and black bears are scared/unaware of me. I hope it stays that way (check Rinella and his amended desires about grizzly encounters - they changed when he experienced one up close and personal).

People I know and trust? There are lots.

I know of a guy who put a couple shotgun rounds into a young charging grizzly that had just received and run through a face full of bear spray. That bear was very hungry and was charging a group of guys who had been making plenty of noise (they were working, not hunting). It shouldn't have been charging a group of people in the first place, and it should have bailed when it got a can full of bear spray in the face, but it didn't.

The same guy who shot the bear has had plenty of bear encounters in the past, is very bear savvy and is not a bullshitter. Bear spray didn't do the job there.

Another guy I know and trust ran into a grizzly while hunting in thick underbrush. He was armed, but used the spray. It ended well for all concerned. Again, experienced outdoorsman and no bullshitter.

There are a million of those stories on each side of the ledger. What's that tell you? Pretty simple.

-A bear that isn't committed to eating you could very well bail in the face of bear spray, so bear spray can be very effective;
    -A bear that isn't deterred by bear spray needs either a good punch to the side of the head or a kick in the nads *or* a good stabbing from your trusty pocket knife as he's sitting on you and chewing on your cranium *or* a bullet (choose your weapon wisely).

I think you can also speculate that bear spray gets deployed on a lot of less committed bears and firearms get deployed on more committed bears, so stats like the ones you're citing are suspect. They aren't coming from any kind of controlled experiment.

I also know that people who like guns probably recommend a gun for a grizzly more than people who aren't gun aficionados, who in turn recommend bear spray. A lot of people in each group don't have any real g-bear experience and so are speculating and don't know how difficult a g-bear can be when it sets it's mind to something.

Start asking people who work in the woods about their encounters - especially if they work on the central coast doing jobs like timber cruising or planting or fisheries work, or something that doesn't involve lots of people and lots of noisy equipment. It won't take too long before you hear someone say "I ****ing hate grizzlies" and when you ask why you'll hear the (not uncommon story) of the grizzly putting the guy up a tree, ripping off the guy's boot heel in the process, getting a face full of spray and being very pissed off as a result. That kind of encounter qualifies as a "persons
    defending themselves with pepper spray escaped injury most of the time..."

Personally I don't carry a rifle if I'm in grizzly country by myself. I've just never been that worried about it.

If I'm out with my wife or someone else's kids? I give it some serious consideration. The last thing I want to do is explain to some mother why I didn't die trying to save her kid from a grizzly attack. It probably would never come to it, but I don't want to have that conversation. I'd rather explain why I'm carrying a rifle.

"How effective is a rifle or shotgun on your back when your sneaking through the bush with your bow in your hand? "

Not effective at all, especially if it's not ready to go and you can't bring it to bear. That said, emergency situations in the great outdoors seldom unfold as scripted.

How effective is bear spray in your holster when you're sneaking through the bush with a bow in your hand? If you've got time to get your bear spray out you've probably got time to get your rifle up.

Will you hit the bear if all of a sudden a surprise charge catches you unawares and you're looking at a huge monster bouncing along the ground faster than a quarterhorse bent on eating you? It'll be tough with a gun, or a bow, or bear spray.

Will you hit a bear with a firearm if it's just jumped on your buddy? Probably, if you can sack up. Yes, you may (and this has happened) kill the bear and injure your pal with the through shot, but it'll probably work better than bear spray alone. Your pal will still thank you.

Have you ever had bear spray not work at all (I have) or have it go off by accident in the gear during travel (I have)? It happens. You ever have a rifle misfire? It happens.

So, free world, the coffee is hot, your mileage may vary, but personally I default to a rifle if I need one (kids, wife, small party, high enough probability of bear encounter), and I recognize that bear spray may, in some circumstances, be easier to deploy and may be more effective, so I will take it as well if needed. But like I say, if there is a committed bear with a bad attitude the last thing I want is to be around when someone else in the party is slowly being killed. Anytime shit has a chance of getting that real I don't want to be the test case. I want all the tools.

mpotzold:

Nice pics. Were you walking that area or riding?

We were slowly driving by in the first 2 photos.
    In the first photo the pond is only a short distance from a small lake off Meadow Lake Rd. There is a gravel pit where I used to practice hitting a paper plate at say 50,40 & 30 ft. using 45/70 GG with open sights. Speed and accuracy were paramount.

In the third & 4th photos we set camp making plenty of noise. Nevertheless a large grizz charged. Our screaming saved us. We were both sitting on top of bank(see photo 4 bottom right) & eagle eyes Eve again saw the grizz just before he charged. Unfortunately the 375 H&H was hanging on the happijac 100 ft+/- away.
    Using the open sighted 45/70 I'm sure I had enought time for 2 shots.

Lesson learned -never let your guard down when in bear country.

Posted this before-
    Marlin 45-70 using Buffalo bore 405 grain-grizz instant death
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffDngrAe1Ww
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

My regular hunting partner LT (aka LOVER 308 ) sent me this.

Grizz are omnivores!

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Hmm grizz are omnivores they eat everything but granite and license plates.
    No never bought, packed or used bear spray..lack of trust in it.
    Used guide gun, rem 350, defender shotgun,.338..
    Some areas low possibility encounters..
    Some are high probibility. .ie bella coola , tatla lk, tatlyoko, chilco, likely, yanks peak , horsefly black creek.
    Gary sheldon is hands on woods field expert..what a bear will do..steps you should take to prevent deadly encounters.
    Stephen Hererro..more biology..school teaching views.
    Problem with weapons..using wrong ones..and lack of proficiency. .ie weekend warriors. .
    No to spray..
    Srupp

Mpotzold That there is some pretty slick shooting . Chuck Connors would be impressed . Now how to keep your composure when the charging Grizz is coming at you in an imminent attack . If it ever came to this I would HOPE for nerves of steel !
    Arctic Lake

With bear spray I think it also makes sense to practice getting that can out of it's holder ! You would want to be a real "Quicks Draw Mc Graw" . Opps dating myself here .
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmm grizz are omnivores they eat everything but granite and license plates.
    No never bought, packed or used bear spray..lack of trust in it.
    Used guide gun, rem 350, defender shotgun,.338..
    Some areas low possibility encounters..
    Some are high probibility. .ie bella coola , tatla lk, tatlyoko, chilco, likely, yanks peak , horsefly black creek.
    Gary sheldon is hands on woods field expert..what a bear will do..steps you should take to prevent deadly encounters.
    Stephen Hererro..more biology..school teaching views.
    Problem with weapons..using wrong ones..and lack of proficiency. .ie weekend warriors. .
    No to spray..
    Srupp
    I agree with what you state regarding a firearm for bear defence. The right firearm is 100% effective it’s the human component that is not. In the right hands it’s great but I don’t have faith in the ability of most in the moment. I think we have all seen those who panic or freeze under high pressure situations and the % that can keep it together are not in the majority

In the right hands in the firearm vs spray debate firearm hands down but for those who cannot keep it together in the moment spray maybe a better option just because spray is easier to use even though its less effective

The trouble with bear spray is the bears not always down wind of you. Bear spray is not nice when it blow back at you.

full marks for Chipman's post....

Never had to fire on a bear in defense, but slugs from the 12ga Ithaca 37 20" barrel is my preference.

I do have the spray on my belt as another option, but would not put my trust in it like I do with a firearm.