Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of black bear information

Hybrid View

In search of black bear information

Hey guys,

I'm sure that this has been asked before, apologies in advance. I'm looking for any information I can get on black bears especially in the Fraser Valley.

I'd really like to learn more specifically about habitat, tracking, people's preferred method of hunting ( stand vs stalk ), and any tips or tricks.

If anyone has an articles, videos, or even information based on personal experience I would really appreciate it.
    Last edited by AnthonyF; 04-05-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Instagram: @Meatcutting

2. Site Sponsor

Re: In search of black bear information

Have you searched the threads on this forum?

what are you looking for big, meat, or colour?

Yes you can get s black bear in region 2 but you’re odds really increases if you take at least a long weekend and go elsewhere. I recommend this it increases the time of day they are active, less pressure, usually see more and they are less skiddish

Lower mainland Harrison, skagit, chilliwack and norrish creek are places I have taken bear in the past. Not what they used to be but bears are around

I have searched the forums, I found alot of people wanting to know how to shoot a bear ten minutes after going out. I want to learn about the species as a whole more than what my core textbook explained
    Last edited by AnthonyF; 04-05-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyF View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm sure that this has been asked before, apologies in advance. I'm looking for any information I can get on black bears especially in the Fraser Valley.

I'd really like to learn more specifically about habitat, tracking, people's preferred method of hunting ( stand vs stalk ), and any tips or tricks.

If anyone has an articles, videos, or even information based on personal experience I would really appreciate it.
    I have searched the forums, I found alot of people wanting to know how to shoot a bear ten minutes after going out. I want to learn about the species as a whole more than what my core textbook explained
    You’re taking the fun out of hunting. Honestly. It’s fun going out and making experiences, not just studying something to death on the internet.

If you’re looking for stories with a portion of truth to them, there are two excellent books by Clayton Mack. They’re stories about the grizzlies he’s encountered over the years as a guide.

I know I have personally posted info that goes in depth into a few factors involved but if you have any direct? Myself and others here will answer

ask away

They like nice weather but don’t like being out when it’s 30 degrees and they are active in the later afternoon into the evening. In the spring they like grass and fawns, in the fall they like berries and whatever else they can cram down their gullet.

Thanks for the info fella, you know boner you gave me a bit of a different perspective I guess you are right, I'm just looking for basic information about the species sadly I work 60+ hours a week so I have to be a weekend warrior I'm just really interested in bears and was looking for a documentary. I definitely will try to find those books !

-South facing slopes green up first

-Mid afternoon to evening is the most active.. but people take em all hours of the day.

-spot n stalk is my favorite. Glass lots.

-watch to make sure there are no cubs close by

A lot of great info thanks guys. I just moved to Port Coquitlam and am trying to figure out where to go to hunt. I kayaked to widgidon camp grounds and saw the pine cone burke sign there that said hunting is allowed. Anyone hunt there and know if its good?

Thanks
    QH

I was curious if anyone had an idea of what the black bear population is around norrish creek? How worried should i be while hiking through old trails and service roads?