Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In search of black bear information

Re: In search of black bear information

Books on black bears , YouTube , Write or email to the B.C. Environment I’m pretty sure they will send you some written information . Contact the biologist for Region 2
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyF View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm sure that this has been asked before, apologies in advance. I'm looking for any information I can get on black bears especially in the Fraser Valley.

I'd really like to learn more specifically about habitat, tracking, people's preferred method of hunting ( stand vs stalk ), and any tips or tricks.

If anyone has an articles, videos, or even information based on personal experience I would really appreciate it.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Dandelions, find a good crop of flowering dandelions. They graze them like cattle. Especially on nice May evenings. If you find a patch it’s easy to tell if they are using it as there’s skat everywhere and lots of the heads are eaten off. Once they go to seed your time to hunt that patch is limited and you’ll have to follow them onwards and upwards.

A regular on here named Caddisguy has posted a ton of cool blackbear info. If you can find a few of those threads I think you'll find what you are looking for.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerHunter View Post
    I was curious if anyone had an idea of what the black bear population is around norrish creek? How worried should i be while hiking through old trails and service roads?
    no more / less worried then driving through Richmond

lmao alright.

Hibernating black bears depend on the fat stored in their bodies to tide them over. Upon emergence, they have to graze like cattle to purge their gut of the leftovers of winter, bunged up fat. This might take them a while and once relieved, they start searching for high quality protein. Like placenta, new born fawns and/or calves.
    So here's the trick. Take a fawn in distress call with you. Search for some does, bearing or not. Plant your butt down making sure your back is covered by a tree or large rock, you don't want Yogi hi-assing in from the backside with your back exposed. Now proceed to blow on your fawn distress call. Bear in mind that you may see a doe or two show up and they can be just as dangerous as a bear, maybe moreso as they are arriving to protect a fawn, theirs or not. Of course, you can wail away on the call if you happened to spot a bear too. They get stupid with the thought of a "rich" meal.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    no more / less worried then driving through Richmond
    yup thats why for locals norrish creek is called sucide creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Hibernating black bears depend on the fat stored in their bodies to tide them over. Upon emergence, they have to graze like cattle to purge their gut of the leftovers of winter, bunged up fat. This might take them a while and once relieved, they start searching for high quality protein. Like placenta, new born fawns and/or calves.
    So here's the trick. Take a fawn in distress call with you. Search for some does, bearing or not. Plant your butt down making sure your back is covered by a tree or large rock, you don't want Yogi hi-assing in from the backside with your back exposed. Now proceed to blow on your fawn distress call. Bear in mind that you may see a doe or two show up and they can be just as dangerous as a bear, maybe moreso as they are arriving to protect a fawn, theirs or not. Of course, you can wail away on the call if you happened to spot a bear too. They get stupid with the thought of a "rich" meal.
    I have seen black bears kill fawns right infront of me.
    the 400 grain bullet dropped it right after.