Thread: Lighted Nocks!

Lighted Nocks!

I need some help on deciding to shoot lighted nocks and how to go about it. I just got a pack of glory nocks and after using them a couple times they seem great.
    The issue is tuning, cause I had to make my nocking point a little bit bigger to fit them and now it’s affecting all my other arrows.
    So do you prefer spending the $$ and putting light nocks on all your arrows and tune accordingly? Or saving the lighted nocks until hunting season and deal with your bow only being tuned for those nocks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lighted Nocks!

Thought about using them then decided it wasn't worth the hassle of retuning. I settled on using bright fletching.

I tried them for a season in Alberta, missed a 4x5 bull and a muley with them. Went back to my regular nocks haven't miss anything since. I found they were shooting high all the time.

I've found that its just a matter of determining your nock fit amongst different brands of both regular nocks and lighted nocks. If you have a similar nock fit, then the only main difference is a bit of weight which will affect FOC. I often shoot half-wraps when I'm not shooting lighted nocks and then shoot no-wraps when shooting a lighted nock.

Nock fit is a lot more important than some people give it credit for, and having similar nock fit with your lighted vs non lighted nocks is important to watch for sure. I've had great luck with Nockturnals being a really similar nock fit to my current setup, and also flying great out to 40-50

Tune with the nocks you'll be shooting, most lighted nocks are 20-25gr, standard nocks can be as light as 5gr...that change in FOC and spine can have a pretty big effect especially with fixed blade broadheads. Sometimes it's minimal but always best to tune with your arrows set up exactly how you'll be shooting them in a hunting situation, you'll get more forgiveness out of field tips anyway. For what it's worth I shot lighted nocks last year, shot a bear around 4pm and in broad daylight it didn't help one bit with seeing my shot placement or finding the arrow, that wouldn't be the case at last light though so I'll be taking the slight FOC trade off again this year.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear