Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to keep black bear hide once harvested?

Re: How to keep black bear hide once harvested?

Hmmm huntertyler123..PM SENT
    Salting requires head done completely
    Or freeze. .cold wont buy you enough time by itself..
    I have only ever done the salted method in hunting camp for bears.
    Borax was never used on hides.that I recall going back to the 1970 era.
    Sent you a PM.
    Steven

I would look for an opportunity to do a practice bear. Even if you muck it up, you can make a tanned hide out of it and gain valuable experience for another bear.

buddy suggested to practice on a WT (or MD if you get an LEH) doe head a few times as a way to practice doing around eyes lips etc...sounded like a good idea

Thanks all. I got off the phone with a taxidermist near where I’ll be just now. I’m going to stop by his shop and he’s going to show me the way he prefers it to be done. Also said to leave skull and paws in after cooled out in cooler with some ice in bottom making sure doesn’t get wet and to run to town to drop it off no later then the next day.

Appreciate all the help from everyone! It’s so fun planning what to do but FIRST sneed a bear to do so lol

I'm a butcher in the Fraser Valley and when we used to sell our beef hides to a taxidermist he used to want the shit salted out of them and put In the cooler, we would roll the hide like a bed roll to save space. I'd recommend that you ensure there's no meat on the hide as it will go rancid. And if your not able to see your local taxidermist anytime soon throw the hide in the deep freeze !
    Last edited by AnthonyF; 04-05-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    Instagram: @Meatcutting

It's a real PITA to flesh a hide that's been salted. Keeping cool and getting in the freezer asap is fairly desirable for a taxidermist. Fleshing and salting is next best thing, but if cooled down quick and frozen shortly after salt is unnecessary. If you have a taxidermist in mind maybe see what their preference is.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Don’t really need to get crazy about fleshing as long as it is thin enough for the tanning solution can soak in. Tannery will use a fleshing wheel to flesh/thin the hide and it makes quick work of things. When I did this in the past you actually had to be more careful thinning a hide someone fleshed vs one with fat ext on it

There is a reason I always recommend talking to a taxidermist because each one likes things a little different.

If you are fleshing by hand I would agree but if you have ever used a fleshing wheel you would understand it does not matter

Splitting lips, turning ears, and turning eyelids is also still simple as long as it has not been in salt so long it’s dried out. It is actually nice when it’s firmed up a little and less slimy. Salting a hide on a hunting trip and bringing it to a taxidermist within a few days is not a dried out hide

I fleshed/thinned hides, did some skinning, and tanning on the side for a taxidermist in the past so I am talking about a lot more then a few personal hides.

Again everyone has a preference that is why you talk to the person who will be working with that hide
    Last edited by Wild one; 04-06-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Great to know ����

Like I said go with the taxidermist first because they are the ones working on it

I know what I always did and what is possible but I am not going to be working on your hide so in the end I am only giving my opinion