Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to keep black bear hide once harvested?

How to keep black bear hide once harvested?

Everyone’s stoked for bear season and so am I! I’ll be heading out mid may to a location to get my first black bear. Everything’s set and all planned out. Question is, once you have a black bear down and skinned, what’s the best way to keep the hide? I will be doing a rug out of it. What do I bring on my trip to keep hide from spoiling?

i will have my camper on the back of the truck, hunting for 5 days. I’m going to have two big coolers filled with ice. If I shoot bear day one or two is it safe to keep in the cooler for that long until I can freeze it once home?

As as I understand you either salt hide or freeze ( keep cold) hide, can’t do both. I’m going to leave skull and paws still intact with the hide so the taxidermist can deal with de-boning.

Thsnks for the help ,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How to keep black bear hide once harvested?

You'll need a pretty big cooler for a hide with everything left in it.

If you keep it cold, I don't see why there'd be a problem other than getting it wet with ice which is preventable.

With you wanting to leave everything in it, I'd say trying to keep it cold would be better than salt. Salt is best for hides with everything skinned out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    You'll need a pretty big cooler for a hide with everything left in it.

If you keep it cold, I don't see why there'd be a problem other than getting it wet with ice which is preventable.

With you wanting to leave everything in it, I'd say trying to keep it cold would be better than salt. Salt is best for hides with everything skinned out of them.
    I just don’t really want to mess with the paws and de-boning them. The skull itself I could do but it’s the lips and eyes and ears I don’t want to mess up. Could I remove skull and keep everything else in cooler no problem until I could freeze?

Talk to the person who will process the hide for you. They have special techniques for the eyes, ears and lips. Cool the entire hide don't just roll it up and shove it in a freezer. The inside will start to rot and then the hair will slip. Some cool videos on what to do with a bear hide for a mount or rug.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

If you leave the head and paws in it is much harder to cool the hide to avoid slipping. If you don’t want to skin out face and paws be prepared to end your trip early or talk to the nearest taxidermist to your hunting area and pay them to skin it out ASAP

The head is at way higher risk of slipping so I recommend at least learning to skin the head out. I would not concern about splitting the lips too much because they will be thin enough to cool

Personally if I was relying on cooling a hide with ice/cooler I would not do it for any length of time. First moisture increases decommission of the hide big time. With a bear hide rolled up in a cooler it is not going to cool down well. Spring bears can have basically a winter coat that is meant to hold heat so they don’t cool down easily

Call a taxidermist for the best advice but odds are you will hear if you cannot freeze it or salt it bring it in ASAP

Ok thanks guys. I will just take my time and skin out the head and do my best. I’ll call a local shop where I’m going and tell them if I get a bear lol I’ll be bringing it in to them.

So so if the bears skinned out completely sounds like it’s better to hang it up to keep cool then throw in cooler for a day or two at most?

Salt it heavy first day in all the little folds. Spread out the hide to let the salt draw out moisture. Next day remove old salt and re apply. A heavily salted hide keeps 100% better then a cool one. Most important keep it dry and that is where ice is an issue it melts making the hide wet

The best advice is talk directly to a taxidermist for advice on these issues. They will provide you with the best advice because they want hides to come to them in good condition

Remember if you wreck the hide you can’t replace it with another exactly the same

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Salt it heavy first day in all the little folds. Spread out the hide to let the salt draw out moisture. Next day remove old salt and re apply. A heavily salted hide keeps 100% better then a cool one. Most important keep it dry and that is where ice is an issue it melts making the hide wet

The best advice is talk directly to a taxidermist for advice on these issues. They will provide you with the best advice because they want hides to come to them in good condition

Remember if you wreck the hide you can’t replace it with another exactly the same
    thanks wild one. I’ll do that then. I’ll lay a tarp out next to camp and salt it heavily. I’m calling a couple shops today to figure out what they want me to do. Thanks for the help

I have fleshed a few bear hides and that is best done as soon as possible. A salted hide is alot more work, especially ears, lips and paws. Freezing the hide works best. I have washed a few hides that were very dirty, bloody and that was a little messy but better to clean it up while it is fresh. If it is not fleshed carefully the hair will slip and look bad. Thats my 2 cents.

Question. Never shot or skinned a bear, but it's definitely on my bucket list. Do they not use borax to preserve bear hides any more?