Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerber Vital Pack Saw versus Mossy Oak

Gerber Vital Pack Saw versus Mossy Oak

I am looking to buy bone saw. I like the form factor of the folding Multi Purpose Saw's like the Mossy Oak. Efficient and I like the fact that they can do camp double duty (wood). I did come across the Gerber Vital Pack Saw and the form factor is alluring. While the double duty goes out the window, it seems rather small-ish for large game?

Any thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gerber Vital Pack Saw versus Mossy Oak

I have a Gerber folding saw similar to the Mossy oak one in your post and as a bone saw the design is awkward and not very efficient. I do like it for clearing branches in my tree stand an stuff like that

If you are going to use it for bone avoid this style of saw. The cheap fixed blade bone saws from Canadian tire work better or a hatchet and hammer

Go with a wyoming saw...get a bone blade and wood blade. Comes apart into a narrow belt pack. Ive abused mine for over a decade and still good as new...highly reccomend!
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Silky saw with a fine tooth and a coarse tooth blade. Quality Japanese pull saw.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I have 2 saws in my pack or nearby, a simple folding saw for wood and a small 16" meat saw, I have found little hassle with the small meat saw as its less than 1/2" wide and dont even know its in the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Silky saw with a fine tooth and a coarse tooth blade. Quality Japanese pull saw.
    x2 works great for me
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    x2 works great for me
    X3. Exactly what I have as well.

The Gerber saw did not work at all for me - as the blade was tightened it warped the saw and never did work properly like it should - save your money.

But, in 1984 i bought a saw with bone blade on one side and wood on the other while in Northern California - they were known as Knapp Saws with a solid handle but mine has a collapsible handle. i still use this saw today and have never sharpened it but keep in mind this is used for splitting the pelvis and opening the ribcage. I never use it for wood - would generate too much heat in the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    The Gerber saw did not work at all for me - as the blade was tightened it warped the saw and never did work properly like it should - save your money.

But, in 1984 i bought a saw with bone blade on one side and wood on the other while in Northern California - they were known as Knapp Saws with a solid handle but mine has a collapsible handle. i still use this saw today and have never sharpened it but keep in mind this is used for splitting the pelvis and opening the ribcage. I never use it for wood - would generate too much heat in the blade.
    I have this same knapp saw you speak of here , My dad bought it for me in the mid 80's from the states and it has done a crap load of animals . awesome tool for sure .

I have a Fiskars folding saw. Works great and is probably cheaper than a hunter's brand.