Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tail docking to prevent injuries in working dogs

Re: Tail docking to prevent injuries in working dogs

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I still have nightmares about this because I fear they took a couple of more inches than was absolutely necessary.
    That seems to be the common problem
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Docked for sure,those were pretty graphic pics that FG showed and I'm sure my GSP would be right there if hers wasn't docked ,have had her stitched 4 times in 3 years because of blackberries what if she still had a full tail...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Docked for sure,those were pretty graphic pics that FG showed and I'm sure my GSP would be right there if hers wasn't docked ,have had her stitched 4 times in 3 years because of blackberries what if she still had a full tail...
    Sako was eating blackberries every day they were in season last year. When I picked them my shins always had dribbles of blood running down them into my white socks. Not her,,,,,,not so much as a punctured lip. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djG1fe_GFgk

Bit of a difference picking blackberries and chasing a wounded rooster through 3 foot high blacks,even the lab has war wounds following her lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Bit of a difference picking blackberries and chasing a wounded rooster through 3 foot high blacks,even the lab has war wounds following her lol
    Ya, no doubt. Haha

My griff has done some bramble bashing, as well, while hunting but the wire hair sure seems to protect their bodies. Can't tell you how many times and how many broken off thorns I have found in her coat every time she goes into one. One thing that does happen, though, is after a month or so of doing it through the hunting season almost all her facial furnishings get worn off. They're still growing back.

BC and Alberta did not ban tail docking. Their veterinarian associations voted not to do tail docking. The vote was not 100% of vets against tail docking. It is driven by the same people who are against hunting. There is a lot of misinformation re: tail docking. It is done at 2 to 3 days to neonatal puppies. At that stage the tail is cartilage and the pups do not remember. In my breed (Brittanys) many pups have natural bobbed tails. Most breeders do it themselves. It is a part of animal husbandry. If you grew up on a farm you would know about the many procedures done to animals. We never had a vet on our farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bragdon View Post
    BC and Alberta did not ban tail docking. Their veterinarian associations voted not to do tail docking.
    This is incorrect. Tail docking is banned in BC by the CVBC. Veterinarians are not allowed to dock tails for any reason, other than to treat an injury or a disease.

Cosmetic alterations231(1) For the purposes of this section,(a) “ear cropping” means the removal of part or all of the pinnae orauricles of the ear of a dog;(b) “tail docking and alteration” means the removal of all or part of thetail of dogs, horses, cattle, and includes tail blocking and tail nicking;(c) “tail nicking” means cutting any of the tail muscles; and(d) “tail blocking” means injecting the major nerves of the tail with asubstance which affects the animal’s ability to move the tail;(2) A registrant must not perform ear cropping for any reason, other than to treat aninjury or a disease of the pinnae.(3) A registrant must not perform tail docking or alteration for any reason, otherthan to treat an injury or a disease.

That is what I said. Veterinarians can’t dock tails. Breeders or anybody else can and do dock tails. It is the same in Alberta.

Alberta Vets still dock, we have a friend who raises world class Dobbies and has them done in Alberta, most gundog breeders here have done their own as long as I can remember.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 04-26-2019 at 07:59 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

They should worry more about botox, than tail docking.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach