Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ticks are out caddisguy 1, ticks 0

Re: Ticks are out caddisguy 1, ticks 0

Seeing how the tick topic is back up maybe the more knowledgeable tick people could post up what they all do for prevention . I have never bothered to check for them after hiking or hunting . Is spring the worst time ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Your actions towards the innocent tick are cruel and inhumane. This needless incineration of this species is appalling and the cries to stop this deliberate act of torture until death of a living creature are falling on deaf ears. We must band together and stop this attack on innocent ticks by means of public outcry, rallies and demonstrations. We must demand that a the tick is put on the species protection list along with the wolf, cougar and grizzly.

Yes, frying the little buggers one by one is effective but time consuming. It sure would be nice to be able to put on some sort of high frequency emitting wrist and ankle bands that ward off these little buggers, mosquitos and flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Your actions towards the innocent tick are cruel and inhumane. This needless incineration of this species is appalling and the cries to stop this deliberate act of torture until death of a living creature are falling on deaf ears. We must band together and stop this attack on innocent ticks by means of public outcry, rallies and demonstrations. We must demand that a the tick is put on the species protection list along with the wolf, cougar and grizzly.

Yes, frying the little buggers one by one is effective but time consuming. It sure would be nice to be able to put on some sort of high frequency emitting wrist and ankle bands that ward off these little buggers, mosquitos and flies.
    LOL that's some coffee out the nose stuff right there!! hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Seeing how the tick topic is back up maybe the more knowledgeable tick people could post up what they all do for prevention . I have never bothered to check for them after hiking or hunting . Is spring the worst time ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Here's something I posted on Facebook yesterday when the topic came up. I am just going to cut and paste what I wrote there rather than re-typing.

In bear season I am looking down at my pants / shoes / socks compulsively. I spend more time with my head down than looking around me for bears. The best advice I have found is to tuck your pants into your socks. It looks ridiculous, but it buys you way more time, as they usually try to crawl up. It takes a tick about 1-2 minutes to crawl up your pants vs going up the inside and you never see them. Tucking shirt into pants can help too. Also, if you are walking through willows / alders and other crap, try to move branches out of the way with your hand or shooting stick, rather than powering through and letting the branches rub all over you. If possible, go around thick stuff instead of going through. My hunting clothes go into a tied off garbage bag for the drive home. Feeling a tick crawling or drilling into you while you are on the highway sucks.

For removal, tick keys can work in some cases, but not all. The reality is that can find yourself in all sorts of predicaments with ticks. I won't make any recommendations, as everyone has different comfort levels and is responsible for their own health choices, but I will say what I do. I personally carry a pair of needle nose tweezers as often you cannot get a grip on ticks with the key. Adult male deer ticks can be very small, and nymph stage ticks even smaller (the size of a poppy seed.. you wont get those out with a tick key) I am careful and precise. I am certain to get as close to the head as possible, and not squeeze or pull too hard. I have had dozens of ticks in me (probably over 100+) over the years and I have only ever broken one head off (which I then dug out and scrubbed the area raw with alcohol) ... Also, though it is not good practice to grab and pull them out with your hands, stuff happens. If you are hunting solo on day 1 of a 4 day trip and you have tick biting your ass or in some place you would need 3 or 4 mirrors to see, choices need to be made. Do you want to sit on it and drive home? Flag down a car and ask them to pull it out of your ass? Decisions will be made. I have removed them from the back of my neck and other places were the sun doesn't shine with my fingers. I'm confident I didn't put much pressure gripping them and they all came out cleanly. If you botch a removal job or you are unsure, you can always head out to the doctor and get a prescription for preventative antibiotics. My opinion is that oral antibiotics administered within a few days of a botched removal will be perfectly fine.